General Discussion Discuss your Oldsmobile or other car-related topics.

Real or Fake?

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2011, 08:02 AM
Olds Dreamer

Originally Posted by johnboy
for being the voice of reason on this thread.

It's interesting to see the venom and misinformation that the anonymity of the internet feeds on..

for the record I'm currently selling on consignment this Oldsmobile drag car that everyone is talking about.

First off I would like to say that the owner seems to be a very straightforward person. There was nothing confusing or misleading about the description of the car as far as I'm concerned. He does state some things about its history and yes they are undocumented but he is not asking $30k for the car either and there is enough information out there about these cars to realize that it is absolutely possible that it would not have had a VIN or title.

I have the car here and it is a strong running no BS car. You could not build it for twice the asking price. Anyone who buys it for drag racing is getting a turnkey car for a fraction of what it would cost to build. That is an indisputable fact...

As for the "story" behind the car in my mind it is insignificant as without documentation any cars history could be perceived as "BS" and once again the car is not being sold as high dollar, rare collectible. The proof is in the pudding so to speak and if one were to see the car they would see it is actually a very fair deal.

I'm sorry i might be poor but i do think 10k is high dollar.
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:19 AM

I just realized how old the thread was..

Anyway. I just received the car a few days ago and we are currently taking photographs we should have a page up today at www.classiccarswest.com

I'm also attempting to get any and all documentation that the owner may have as of now I only have the aforementioned history and some general specs.

Car is radio / heater delete no undecoating or body sealer and has plastic inner fenders and an aluminum hood.

engine is an OLDS 307 supposedly a high nickel content block..
Car was rebodied as an 87

rear suspension is a 4 link with coil overs - Olds Rear with a spool 4.86:1 ratio and Mark Williams axles

Built th350 -Unknown builder - freshened at Macy Transmission in concord, ca
3500rpm stall

Trans brake with Line Lok - Pistol grip compettion steer

NHRA legal cage with swing out driver bar
Old February 17th, 2011, 08:24 AM

no offense meant ..I agree $10k is nothing to sneeze at but in the world of collector cars and race cars it's in the lower end of the spectrum
Old February 20th, 2011, 12:25 PM

I hate to tell you guys, but if this car IS an Oldsmobile-body-in-white race car (and it may well be) that was built by a name builder such as F.J.Smith, $10k is a gift! A GOOD Super Stock motor that will qualify at a National Event such as N.H.R.A. or I.H.R.A. will cost somewhere upwards of $10k itself. A bonafide F.J.Smith chassis would be at least that much by itself, so if somebody really does their homework there may be a bargain here. Usually, those factory authorized race cars went to some of the bigger Super Stock racers and they (the cars) were sold for next to nothing before being converted to track use and they carried NO V.I.N. Body parts were changed routinely to keep the car up to then current year rules and specs. and those cars were required to run a mostly complete interior. If this is the "Real Deal" I'm a little skeptical as to a lack of paperwork, however many racers got "NEW" cars quite often and since they got them cheap sometimes they were sold cheap. I am very involved in Nostalgia Drag Racing and own a documented dealer-sponsored N.H.R.A. F/Stock '69 W31 stick. Anything is possible especially when it comes to old race cars. I am not saying this IS the REAL thing, but it COULD be.
Old February 20th, 2011, 05:05 PM

Old February 20th, 2011, 05:20 PM
71 & 72,now I want a 68

Would a body in white factory lightweight race car come equiped with the heat/ac controls,cigar lighter and power door locks?
Old February 21st, 2011, 05:02 PM

I thought the same thing about the controls. I figure the lighter? Yea probably. The car was advertised as a heater delete yet still has what appears to be A/C controls ( can't really tell by these pics but has at least a heater control). Power locks? Maybe the door panels are from another car. A lot of questionable things here. But remember--anything is possible, especially on old race cars. Oh yea, the aluminum hoods weren't rare at all really just depended on engine/trans combo. I sold these cars new for a loooooooooong time and sold a whole lot of them. VERY FEW were EVER sold without A/C----in fact I sold a grand total of ONE. It was a 1981---the first year of that body style and it was a 6cyl. white with red cloth---I even remember the customer's name; thats how rare non-A/C Cutlasses were. Again, I'm not saying this is a REAL B-I-W race car, but if it is, the paper trail would SURELY help. If it can be documented, it is a somewhat desirable and collectable item. If it NOT a real B-I-W race car, if that car can pass tech at a N.H.R.A. event and qualify in a field of competetive Super Stockers (SS/MA) and doesn't require any rebuilds of the drivetrain IMHO $10k is a bargain. Try pricing a REAL Super Stock engine and you'll see what I mean. Until next time.....Dave.