Last pic of it together for a while. (updated 4-11-2023)

Search this Thread

Old November 26th, 2008, 08:02 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Jamesbo
I am astounded at the way you got the origional paint to come back to life

Unbelievably great work and our best thread IMHO

thank you for all the facts/photos
It does look pretty decent from the sides. The top surfaces not so much. Just too far gone.

Originally Posted by citcapp
Looks great. Looks like you going to finish in time for your trip. Good luck. By the way I picked up my 5-speed, scatter shield bell housing, clutch, pressure plate yesterday and I am heading to Medford Oregon to Pick up my Toro 455 all for the 48 Olds. Things are looking good.
What trip. I missed that 6 months ago Next year Power Tour never gets anywhere near me so I may try to make Goodguy Columbus or something.
Old November 27th, 2008, 12:20 AM
MDC

Looks great Richard
Old November 27th, 2008, 08:25 AM

WOW!!!! spent all morning reading through youre thread. I have a two year old son and would love to have an in law with your talent great thread and beautiful car.
Old December 2nd, 2008, 08:07 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by MDC
Looks great Richard

Originally Posted by daves62
WOW!!!! spent all morning reading through youre thread. I have a two year old son and would love to have an in law with your talent great thread and beautiful car.
Thank you both
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:08 PM

just awesome!!!

gearhead, wow I have been away from the forum since about august ( bad Me) work, house, family, etc left little time, but I just read and reread, cleaned the drool off the keyboard reread the thread and my gawd!! what work and fabrication you have accomplished!! man you are a true oldskool craftsman, I can not add anything that hasn't already been said, but I would like to also add my thanks for the pics, the blog, and the inspiration to finish my own project....

wow.....
Old January 8th, 2009, 06:53 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
gearhead, wow I have been away from the forum since about august ( bad Me) work, house, family, etc left little time, but I just read and reread, cleaned the drool off the keyboard reread the thread and my gawd!! what work and fabrication you have accomplished!! man you are a true oldskool craftsman, I can not add anything that hasn't already been said, but I would like to also add my thanks for the pics, the blog, and the inspiration to finish my own project....

wow.....
Thank you very much. I am starting to get death threats if I don't update soon. I hope to get going again this month.
Old January 9th, 2009, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by gearheads78
I am starting to get death threats if I don't update soon. I hope to get going again this month.
I was just wondering about how that project was going...
Have you took a break on the car or have you just not updated the thread?
I would sure like to see it all back together...
Old January 9th, 2009, 07:45 AM
car guy

Have not touched the car since thanks giving day except for once. I ran into a little balljoint fit issuse that took a few days to figure out. (Part of the fun of a hot rod build)

My 180K mile truck decided it wanted some attension so what little time I spent in the shop was on it. December is just a tough month to get anything done with holidays and a bunch of family birthdays all in the same month. I promise I will do better now.
Old January 11th, 2009, 10:12 AM

I have been watching your restoration for a while now and think you are doing a great job. Your 66 is going to be a nice ride when it is all done. My 69 has an automatic on the floor and one thing I would like to do some day is to convert to a 5 speed manual on the floor like you are doing. I am very interested in your transmission conversion and how that will turn out for you. I am interested in the TKO 600 you are using and how your clutch linkage and food pedal setup all work out for you in the end. Good Luck.
Old January 11th, 2009, 04:24 PM

Get back to work! We miss the information and pictures you provide. Besides that you have to get it done before good weather returns. I hope to finish the disc brakes on the 57 this month and then get the body work done, like you I am a month behind because of December. Hard to get anything done. Good luck
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:39 PM
car guy

Well the holidays are over and I finally got in the shop a little this weekend. Managed to get the valve covers sanded and repainted. Then was carefully fitting and assembling the painted and powder coated parts on the motor. Here is a before I started pic and what its looking like now,

Old January 18th, 2009, 06:49 PM
Registered Luser

AWESOME...what did you do to the exhaust manifolds? Did you send them out? If so please post some contacts...I can't wait to see more!
Old January 18th, 2009, 06:52 PM

That thing is amazing, hopefully if it comes through my city and i'm not working i'll stop by and admire it.
Old January 18th, 2009, 07:27 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by ent72olds
AWESOME...what did you do to the exhaust manifolds? Did you send them out? If so please post some contacts...I can't wait to see more!
Sandblasted and used a brush on coating. It was either from POR or Eastwood.
Old January 18th, 2009, 08:22 PM

Hey Richard, outstanding work, as usual. Are all of the black parts powdercoated? Did you do that yourself of send them out? I've been thinking about picking up a setup was wondering if you've used one.
Old January 18th, 2009, 08:41 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Eric Anderson
Hey Richard, outstanding work, as usual. Are all of the black parts powdercoated? Did you do that yourself of send them out? I've been thinking about picking up a setup was wondering if you've used one.
Thanks again. The steering pump housing and MSD coil were painted but the rest was powder coated. I didn't do it I had it done. I have mixed feelings about powder coating. This is the first time I have used it. This stuff builds up so think. You have to be extemley carefull anywhere you bolt it down. Also have to do a lot of trimming it off with a exacto razor blade where some fasteners will come through a hole. My next car I might do all paint. If you do mess something up you can't fix it without re-powder coating and building up even more.
Old January 19th, 2009, 07:19 AM

Looks great Richard. Getting closer to cruising
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:57 AM
car guy

Looks great Richard. Getting closer to cruising
Some day maybe... LOL
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:32 PM
MDC

Looks good Richard. Glad to see you back at it.
I got the motor for the 72 back together, but forgot the oil slinger. I have to take the front back off.
Who did your powder coating? I'm looking to have the air cleaner done.
Old January 20th, 2009, 06:36 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by MDC
Looks good Richard. Glad to see you back at it.
I got the motor for the 72 back together, but forgot the oil slinger. I have to take the front back off.
Who did your powder coating? I'm looking to have the air cleaner done.
I used Quality Powder Coating in Carrolton. Sucks about the slinger. I hate when I do stuff like that.
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:03 AM
GM Enthusiast

Richard,

As I said earlier in this thread, great job! I have a couple of questions for you about your project:

1. Where did you buy your adjustable control arms from and how much did they cost? Are your rear lower control arms adjustable as well?

2. It's been a while since I did a frame off resto, but where are you taking measurements so the body goes back down straight compared to the chassis? If memory serves me correct, there is a little extra room in the chassis mounting points so you can make adjustments.

Thanks and keep up the great work. I need the inspiration to get out in my cold garage and get back to work!

Darrell
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:37 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by OLD SKL 69
Richard,

As I said earlier in this thread, great job! I have a couple of questions for you about your project:

1. Where did you buy your adjustable control arms from and how much did they cost? Are your rear lower control arms adjustable as well?

2. It's been a while since I did a frame off resto, but where are you taking measurements so the body goes back down straight compared to the chassis? If memory serves me correct, there is a little extra room in the chassis mounting points so you can make adjustments.

Thanks and keep up the great work. I need the inspiration to get out in my cold garage and get back to work!

Darrell
Thanks again Darrell

1. everything for the front and rear suspension came from here. Give Marcus a call you can't go wrong.

http://www.scandc.com/products.htm

2. I just used the inner rocker to frame to even up the side to side and make it square. Its still a little lose in case I need to move something around to get the front right.
Old January 20th, 2009, 07:43 AM

Richard,

Your work is truly and example for all. As this is my first project I wanted to tread lightly. I'm hoping to get my skills ready for a full off resto like yours. I'm sure hanging around here will help me a great deal. Can't wait to see more....
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:23 AM

Looks nice Richard. Still hoping to see that girl in person some day.
Chad
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:17 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by csstrux
Looks nice Richard. Still hoping to see that girl in person some day.
Chad
Come on down. Should be 80 today
Old January 24th, 2009, 05:33 AM

-6 as I respond to this... Some day we will be moving out of this crap. The problem is rates, and available freight down there is slim right now, unless you are from down there and have direct customers. 3 of every 10 trucks delivering in TX are bouncing out according to the freight monitors I'm using right now. Once that changes, I'll probably be down there a lot.
Old January 24th, 2009, 07:23 AM

God I hate guys who brag about their great weather. Here it is cold and mostly rainy. I will be in Waxahachie in April For a big barbecue. I will look you up then Richard, can't wait to see your ride in person.
Old February 8th, 2009, 07:55 PM
car guy

Lots of little preparation stuff going on right now so not much to report. I did pull the front suspension apart today again. The black zinc plating that came on the cross shafts on the upper control arms was rusting just from the humitity. It was driveing me crazy so I pulled them off and cleaned up, primed and painted them.

Old February 9th, 2009, 08:11 AM

As always you workmanship looks great Richard
Old February 9th, 2009, 08:27 AM
car guy

As always you workmanship looks great Richard
I try anyway
Old February 10th, 2009, 09:27 AM

WOW, WOW, WOW! Man you just had to go and ruin it and put the big tires, brakes and wheels...............................AWESOME!!!!!
The work that you have put in to the Cutlass is just superb I got something to strive for now! Keep the pics coming!
Old February 10th, 2009, 11:52 AM

I think I want to ruin my car with big rims and tires too. I already did my suv, why change now....
Old February 10th, 2009, 01:10 PM

Haven't commented before but I have been reading along...very impressed with your work and I can't wait for an update! Best of luck
Old February 10th, 2009, 07:34 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by gthmcty1
WOW, WOW, WOW! Man you just had to go and ruin it and put the big tires, brakes and wheels...............................AWESOME!!!!!
The work that you have put in to the Cutlass is just superb I got something to strive for now! Keep the pics coming!
Thanks let me know if you have any questions when you get going.

Originally Posted by csouth
I think I want to ruin my car with big rims and tires too. I already did my suv, why change now....
do it do it

Originally Posted by smcurro
Haven't commented before but I have been reading along...very impressed with your work and I can't wait for an update! Best of luck
Thanks
Old February 16th, 2009, 10:13 PM

Thumbs up

Excellent work Richard! I cannot wait for the next update. I find myself continually checking this thread like a kid looking for presents under the tree. I am inspired. Keep it up.

Chris
Old February 17th, 2009, 07:06 AM
car guy

Originally Posted by ChrisM
Excellent work Richard! I cannot wait for the next update. I find myself continually checking this thread like a kid looking for presents under the tree. I am inspired. Keep it up.

Chris
Thank you Chris
Old February 19th, 2009, 08:03 PM
car guy

I was off today so I was able to get in the shop a little this afternoon.
I got the original carpet back in. Its a little short now on the sides do to the taller tunnel but it will do for now. Installed the shifter boot after that. If anyone uses this boot make sure to mark you holes with the metal retainer plate. I used the rubber boot and that was a mistake. Some of the holes did not quite line up so I had to get creative with some of the screw angles.
I then started wireing up the TKO600 too. After thinking about how to do it the best way I used the reverse and neutral switches on the transmission to control ground on a couple relays. I went through the facory firewall grommet to the inside of the car. I was able to position the relays so I did not have to cut or splice the original wires at all. Just pulled the wires out of the plug ends and on to the relay. If I ever have a neutral saftey relay go out the reverse relay is right there so I have a back up so i am not standed for mor than a minute. Power to the relays will come from the power window spade in the fuse block.

Old February 20th, 2009, 04:21 AM

Very clean.
Old February 20th, 2009, 04:45 AM
Past Administrator

Good job on the wiring Richard.
Old February 20th, 2009, 08:55 AM

I now rate you as a journeyman car electrican. You can add this to your many other titles. Good job alway good to have backup

Quick Reply: Last pic of it together for a while. (updated 4-11-2023)