1987 cutlass rear end!

Old August 27th, 2008, 11:52 AM
Just A BaBy {:

1987 cutlass rear end!

ok i was told for people that have limited slip rear end, that if you want bigger gear ratio an keep limited slip that you can get it out of a olds station wagon? true? or false?
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:18 AM

Maybe...
A Cutlass Cruiser of the same vintage ~may~ be a good source for lower gear ratio as the wagons often came equipped to tow trailers and move lots of weight (cargo, people, etc). As for limited slip, it was an option and it may or may not be available.
A B-body wagon axle (Custom Cruiser) would be far from a bolt-in.

How low a ratio do you wish to go?
I believe the wagons will have the 7.5" housing as all the other standard G bodies.
If you want a very low ratio that requires an 8.5" housing, those would only be available from a 442, MCSS, or Regal GN (to be bolt-in).
Hope this helps...
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Unless your 87 is a VIN 9 442, you have the weak-kneed 7.5" axle. Look under S-10 pickups for steeper gear sets. The S-10 axle housing is different due to the leaf springs, but the center section should swap with yours.
Old August 28th, 2008, 10:08 AM
Just A BaBy {:

thank you very much!i am just looking to up the anti a bit. not going super crazy. but don't like the gears in it right now but i don't want to rip the hole end out. Is that to much to ask>?
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:34 PM

gear swap

If you are going to swap out gears your better off removing the whole rear. It will be way easier for install and you can consentrate on getting it in correct. If it is your first swap you will need all the help you can get. Plus you can clean up the under carriage etc. If you have a lift then your probably ok or you young and have alot of back left. I am 40 and done with the laying under car deal...lol. Jim

I can get you gears also if you need. Here is some of the problem with 7.5 posi unit from the late 70's and early 80's. One the posi unit are usually 2 series which means 3.08 is as high as you can go with that carrier. They do sell spacers (50.00) and also thick aftermarket gears too. (which I sell also)
now you can get a s-10 posi (limited slip unit BUT it usually is a gov lock eato which are really not made for performance driving... They are to just get you out of the mud or ice or snow at lower speed when your stuck. NOT burning out or drag racing...They tend to blow up under the lock up mod which happens when they sense slipping of one wheel faster than another. THEN the unit locks up. Performance units are always on...They are usually found in the cars. NOT trucks. Hope this info helps too. Jim
Old August 29th, 2008, 10:53 PM
Just A BaBy {:

Originally Posted by monzaz
If you are going to swap out gears your better off removing the whole rear. It will be way easier for install and you can consentrate on getting it in correct. If it is your first swap you will need all the help you can get. Plus you can clean up the under carriage etc. If you have a lift then your probably ok or you young and have alot of back left. I am 40 and done with the laying under car deal...lol. Jim

I can get you gears also if you need. Here is some of the problem with 7.5 posi unit from the late 70's and early 80's. One the posi unit are usually 2 series which means 3.08 is as high as you can go with that carrier. They do sell spacers (50.00) and also thick aftermarket gears too. (which I sell also)
now you can get a s-10 posi (limited slip unit BUT it usually is a gov lock eato which are really not made for performance driving... They are to just get you out of the mud or ice or snow at lower speed when your stuck. NOT burning out or drag racing...They tend to blow up under the lock up mod which happens when they sense slipping of one wheel faster than another. THEN the unit locks up. Performance units are always on...They are usually found in the cars. NOT trucks. Hope this info helps too. Jim
thank you very much! how much is all this ? an i am not looking for the best but a good rear. an yea i will be working on my back with my little bro{who is in love with 80s delta 88} i need all the info i can get !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old August 30th, 2008, 06:04 PM

rear end parts and info

Please PM me and I will pass you a phone number and will go over what you want the car to do and how much you have to spend, Hopefully we can find something decent that will work for you. Jim -J D Race.com