350, jumping ahead of myself a bit tho...

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Banned

[QUOTE=cutlassefi;473232]
Originally Posted by SBORule

Huh? Any good shop should be able to do those things. You don't need a "race" shop.
That must of went right over your head.

That's why he should seek out a race oriented machine shop and engine builder, they wouldn't be advising what you are, they would widen the rod journals and not machine the offset off the rods. A race engine builder who has actually built such an Olds combo would know your advice, not that it is wrong, is just not the best way to do it.
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:06 AM

[QUOTE=SBORule;473629]
Originally Posted by cutlassefi

That must of went right over your head. No it didn't

That's why he should seek out a race oriented machine shop and engine builder, they wouldn't be advising what you are, they would widen the rod journals and not machine the offset off the rods. A race engine builder who has actually built such an Olds combo would know your advice, not that it is wrong, is just not the best way to do it.
Oh but it is the best way for the reasons listed below. Thank you

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. When you use a SBC rod they are offset unlike stock Olds rods which are centered.
Notice in the picture that the rod almost hits the inside of the pin boss on the piston even after I took it off the wide side. If you remove the .010-.015 or so from the larger side of the big end of the rod instead of widening the journal it centers it more, possibly making narrowing of the small end of the rod unnecessary. These don't, but some pistons have a very small area between the pin bosses already, having an offset rod will only make that worse and potentially a problem.

How many of these have you done Bruce, got any pix? Be happy to see some.

Tell you what, you take your stuff to your "race" shop and I'll stick with my "competent" shop. How's that.

Thank you.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Rodoffset.JPG (96.3 KB, 17 views)

Last edited by cutlassefi; November 8th, 2012 at 05:29 AM.
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:10 AM

[QUOTE=cutlassefi;473693]
Originally Posted by SBORule

Here's a pic of what I'm talking about. When you use a SBC rod they are offset unlike stock Olds rods which are centered.
Notice in the picture that the rod almost hits the inside of the pin boss on the piston. If you remove the .010-.015 or so from the larger side of the big end of the rod instead of widening the journal it will center it more, possibly making narrowing of the small end of the rod unnecessary. These don't but some pistons have a very small area between the pin bosses already, offsetting the rod will only make that worse and potentially a problem.

How many of these have you done Bruce, got any pix? Be happy to see some.

I'll tell you what, you take your stuff to your "race" shop and I'll take mine to my "competent" shop. How about that.

Thank you.
Good information. You should chamfer the bottoms of your bores. And that red assembly lube everywhere is not good for ring seal. How come with all your block blueprinting, why is the small end of the rod not centered in the piston?

Last edited by VORTECPRO; November 8th, 2012 at 05:19 AM.
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:25 AM

[QUOTE=VORTECPRO;473694]
Originally Posted by cutlassefi
Good information. You should chamfer the bottoms of your bores. And that red assembly lube everywhere is not good for ring seal. How come with all your block blueprinting, why is the small end of the rod not centered in the piston?
Uhhhh? be cause the rods are offset?! Did you read the text? Apparently not.
Do you want me to move the bores front to back .060 or so from the correct spot in order to center the rod? The bores are fine, the rod is offset. Again I love your attention to detail

No further comment.
Old November 8th, 2012, 05:28 AM

[QUOTE=cutlassefi;473699]
Originally Posted by VORTECPRO

Uhhhh? be cause the rods are offset?! Did you read the text? Apparently not.
Do you want me to move the bores front to back .060 or so from the correct spot in order to center the rod? The bores are fine, the rod is offset. Again I love your attention to detail

No further comment.
I would'nt do it that way. I think your right, I dont pay to much attention to your posts, I prefer to look at your pictures or your dyno sheets, I feel I can make more sense of these two things.

Last edited by VORTECPRO; November 8th, 2012 at 08:00 PM.