1968 dog dish hubcaps

Search this Thread

Old October 14th, 2008, 12:14 PM

1968 dog dish hubcaps

I am in need of some proper wheels for my '68 442. As the original wheels are not with the car and I have no idea what the car came with, as it has the front bench seat, I was thinking of sticking with some steel rims and dog dish hubcaps.

Can someone please tell me what the correct dog dish hubcaps are for '68?

Also, where can I get a set of proper steel rims to put them on?

Thanks.
Old October 15th, 2008, 05:55 AM

Dog dish hubcaps

The 1968 Chassis Service Manual should have a picture of the different hubcaps available. Do you have access to one? Several years ago I pulled a set of plain steel wheels off a 1979 Delta 88. They were 15X7 wheels with the small bolt pattern. I used early 70's dog dish hub caps on them and ran them on my 1971 Wagon for a couple years. I don't know for sure if these wheels are 100% correct in appearance, but the original code plain steel factory 7" wide wheels are going for crazy money. Just a thought. John
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:28 AM

I actually don't have one, John. However, I checked out the Year One catalog and I think I found out what they look like. I just don't want to pay $225 for a set of them. haha.

As far as the wheels are concerned, I'm not super concerned with having original coded wheels. However, I would like them to look correct. I also wouldn't mind going with slightly larger wheels on it. I've always thought the '68 wheel wells at times look a little empty with the 14 x 6.
Old October 15th, 2008, 06:40 PM
442=A perfect 10

Tom....
Like the ones on mine? 14X7 (225x70-14) with stock dog dishes. I don't think they will work (caps) with the 15" wheel. Used are a little difficult to locate in decent condition. Most of what you will find will be at swap meets and most likely be rusty on inside,dented and will require extra work. The new repro's would be the best bet in my book if that is the look you want. I take mine off while drag racing....the car looks real good that way too.

Good luck with your plan.

Fred

Last edited by GoodOldsGuy; October 15th, 2008 at 06:44 PM.
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuy
........ I don't think they will work (caps) with the 15" wheel ........
They will.

Hubcaps (as opposed to wheel covers) fit the wheel, not the rim.

Norm
Old October 16th, 2008, 09:14 AM

Yes, Fred. Exactly like yours. That's a great look. I've always admired your car. Great color, great wheels. Mine is red with a black vinyl top. Are those the original wheels? I'm still not sure where to buy some that look similar to the original ones.
Old October 16th, 2008, 08:18 PM
442=A perfect 10

Originally Posted by 68Tom
Yes, Fred. Exactly like yours. That's a great look. I've always admired your car. Great color, great wheels. Mine is red with a black vinyl top. Are those the original wheels? I'm still not sure where to buy some that look similar to the original ones.
Tom,
Not the original wheels as these are 1" wider. Got these out of a wrecking yard in Brewster, NY years ago. There are currently a number of companies that make wheels...you might take a peek in a Hemmings Motor News or one of the street rod/muscle car mags.(Hemmings Muscle Car Magazine is a great publication) Where are you located in NY?

Regards,

Fred

Last edited by GoodOldsGuy; October 16th, 2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old October 17th, 2008, 09:48 AM

Ah, that's right. Originals were 14 x 6.

I live and work in Manhattan.
Old October 17th, 2008, 08:32 PM
442=A perfect 10

Ah, that's right. Originals were 14 x 6.

I live and work in Manhattan.
There are quite a few companies that make a standard steel wheel you can use. Google to get the info you want.

I purchased my car in Manhattan at Rosenstock Olds. Used to live on the East Side.

Regards,

Fred
Old October 18th, 2008, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by GoodOldsGuy
There are quite a few companies that make a standard steel wheel you can use. Google to get the info you want.

I purchased my car in Manhattan at Rosenstock Olds. Used to live on the East Side.

Regards,

Fred
Wow, Fred. That's pretty impressive. I'm guessing there aren't too many cars from '68 that were purchased in Manhattan left. Where on earth did you park it when living on the East Side? I'm in the East Village at 2nd & C.

I'll try a search for the wheels. However, in my past searches, trying to find plain steel wheels is kinda difficult as it pulls up ALL steel wheels.
Old October 18th, 2008, 05:35 PM
442=A perfect 10

Wow, Fred. That's pretty impressive. I'm guessing there aren't too many cars from '68 that were purchased in Manhattan left. Where on earth did you park it when living on the East Side? I'm in the East Village at 2nd & C.

Yeah, Rosenstock was the ONLY Olds dealer left in Manhattan at that time, next closest was Dale Olds in the Bronx. Still have all my paperwork AND my original NY license plate!

I'll try a search for the wheels. However, in my past searches, trying to find plain steel wheels is kinda difficult as it pulls up ALL steel wheels.
Oh, I purchased the car upon my graduation from HS. Went to the Old Stuvesant High School (15th St. & 1st Ave.) Used to live in Stuyvesant Town - 300 1st Ave. My dad secured me a parking spot underground in the garage until I moved away to go to College Connecticut.

I will work on your wheel thing tomorrow and will try to assist with some companies that supply steel wheels. Off the top of my head Stockton Wheel in Stockton Ca. has made me steelies for my hot rod...I will check.

I know your neighborhood well....back in the late sixties we hung out at Tompkins Square Park. Is it still there?

Regards,

Fred

Last edited by GoodOldsGuy; October 18th, 2008 at 05:38 PM.
Old October 20th, 2008, 10:53 AM

Thanks for the research on the wheels, Fred. I appreciate it.

I have a few friends who grew up in Stuy Town and another who currently lives there. I pasted this link to one who grew up there and he's blown away by the fact you still have your car (as am I) and it's in such nice condition. We really think you must be one of the few people who actually bought a car in Manhattan in 1968 and still have it and still looks great. People who don't live here don't realize what an amazing feat that is. Stuff just simply gets beat up here--people don't care whether they hit your car or not.

And yep, Tompkins Sq Park is still there. Not sure if you remember the old church across the street from it on B, but it was starting to fall over. They were going to rip it down put people protested. Not sure exactly where they stand on it now.
Old October 20th, 2008, 05:24 PM
is Fast Enough ...

http://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=311559

It's a bug site ...

Last edited by mugzilla; October 20th, 2008 at 05:25 PM. Reason: ;)
Old October 20th, 2008, 07:09 PM
442=A perfect 10

Thanks for the research on the wheels, Fred. I appreciate it.

I have a few friends who grew up in Stuy Town and another who currently lives there. I pasted this link to one who grew up there and he's blown away by the fact you still have your car (as am I) and it's in such nice condition. We really think you must be one of the few people who actually bought a car in Manhattan in 1968 and still have it and still looks great. People who don't live here don't realize what an amazing feat that is. Stuff just simply gets beat up here--people don't care whether they hit your car or not.

And yep, Tompkins Sq Park is still there. Not sure if you remember the old church across the street from it on B, but it was starting to fall over. They were going to rip it down put people protested. Not sure exactly where they stand on it now.
Wheel Vintiques at www.wheelvintiques.com or Specialty Wheel at www.specialtywheelsltd.org might be able to help you Tom.

While I loved living in the City I really don't miss it that much. I do miss playing stickball on 15th St. in front of the school. When I brought my 442 home I was VERY careful where it got parked in the garage and NEVER parked on the street. Took it upstate and drag raced it at Dover Dragstrip about 20 miles from my parents lake house for a few years...had a lot of fun. The car sat in the garage at the lake from 1972 (working at FoMoCo till 77) to 1986. I landed at Oldsmobile in the spring of 78.
Needless to say it didn't take much to get the car back into shape.
Anyway hope those sites help. Sorry for the long post.

Regards,

Fred
Old October 21st, 2008, 07:07 AM

Oh, not at all. Cool to hear the story behind your car. What rims did it come with? Is it true that all 442s came with Rallye wheels?
Old October 28th, 2008, 12:17 PM

Hey Fred, do you have a close-up picture of your hubcaps?

Also, what size tires you runnin' on those 14 x 7s?
Old October 28th, 2008, 07:33 PM
442=A perfect 10

Hey Fred, do you have a close-up picture of your hubcaps?

Also, what size tires you runnin' on those 14 x 7s?
Hi Tom,

I will get you a picture over the weekend. I am currently at our lakehouse about 100 miles from home where the car is. If I can remember I believe I have 225-70-R14. These I put on the car in 1990! I plan on going with a set of Diamond Back Redlines. Just have to save my pennies.

To answer your previous question about rallyes as standard....I believe the steel wheel with cap was standard. I will check my reference guides on Saturday.
Old October 29th, 2008, 05:16 AM
Trying to remember member

Steel wheel and hubcaps definitely standard. Wheels painted body color for hubcaps and black for all other wheels. The assembly manuals have a page showing exactly how much of the wheel got the body color paint.
I can't think of any instance where wheel/wheel cover upgrades were part of a model or option package, but there maybe something that escapes me.
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:43 AM

Thanks Fred, looking forward to the pics.

wmachine, thanks for the info on the wheels. I have a feeling, based on how it was ordered, that it most likely had the steel wheels. Even if they weren't, I like how they look.

I am considering getting 15 x 7 rims, just to get a little better tire sizing in the well, but I'm not sure if the hubcabs they sell will fit the rim. I'm guessing they will. Anyone know the proper backspacing and bolt circle I need? Summit racing has quite a few Wheel Vintiques OE style rims, and just need to know the size. Looking at these: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku
Old October 30th, 2008, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by wmachine
The assembly manuals have a page showing exactly how much of the wheel got the body color paint.
Is there any way for you to post this page? I'll obviously be painting my wheels in the near future and would help for originality purposes.
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:08 PM

Here you go. I had to knock down the quality a lot to post it. So if you can't "read" it give me your e-mail and I'll send a better one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Wheel paint2.jpg (90.5 KB, 30 views)
Old October 30th, 2008, 06:10 PM

BTW, that is for '69, but I'm sure it is the same for '68.
Old October 30th, 2008, 07:08 PM
442=A perfect 10

Thanks Fred, looking forward to the pics.

wmachine, thanks for the info on the wheels. I have a feeling, based on how it was ordered, that it most likely had the steel wheels. Even if they weren't, I like how they look.

I am considering getting 15 x 7 rims, just to get a little better tire sizing in the well, but I'm not sure if the hubcabs they sell will fit the rim. I'm guessing they will. Anyone know the proper backspacing and bolt circle I need? Summit racing has quite a few Wheel Vintiques OE style rims, and just need to know the size. Looking at these: http://store.summitracing.com/partde...5&autoview=sku

Tom,
Those look great! Here is another source for you. www.thewheelsmith.net

Fred
Old October 31st, 2008, 11:42 AM

Thanks Fred. After chatting with Coker Tire today, I found that they carry the style rim with the correct offset and bolt pattern. I want the 5 x 4 3/4 pattern and these are them... http://store.coker.com/o.e.-style-chevy-wheel.html. Think I too am going to go with the 14 x 7 rims. the height on yours looks good with the 225-70/14 tires.
Old November 1st, 2008, 06:32 AM
442=A perfect 10

Thanks Fred. After chatting with Coker Tire today, I found that they carry the style rim with the correct offset and bolt pattern. I want the 5 x 4 3/4 pattern and these are them... http://store.coker.com/o.e.-style-chevy-wheel.html. Think I too am going to go with the 14 x 7 rims. the height on yours looks good with the 225-70/14 tires.
Tom,

Check out the latest issue of Hemmings Muscle Machines Magazine. Great article on 69 F-85 Cutlass W-31 with dogdish hubcaps! 2008 Car of the Year....

Fred

Last edited by GoodOldsGuy; November 1st, 2008 at 06:57 AM.
Old November 1st, 2008, 12:45 PM

Fred-

I saw that! Awesome looking car. I love that color blue. Wish they had that in '68. I guess I could be doing worse than red, although it seems like there's a quite a few red ones out there.

Tom
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:28 PM
442=A perfect 10

Fred-

I saw that! Awesome looking car. I love that color blue. Wish they had that in '68. I guess I could be doing worse than red, although it seems like there's a quite a few red ones out there.

Tom
Tom,
PM to you.

Fred