1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass with Dealer Added W-30 Package

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2009, 01:43 PM

1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass with Dealer Added W-30 Package

Good afternoon everyone. I am looking at a 1968 Cutlass 442 that had a dealer installed W-30 package after the car was purchased. The gentleman is the original owner, with POP and all documents with the car.

It has most all the original paint and is in great shape. It has 46K miles, red/bvtop, blk fender strip, auto, PS,PB, tic toc tac, floor shift/console, Blk interior.

Does the dealer added package, after the car is purchased hurt the value VS. a ordered W-30 package?

What would the value of this car be?
Old May 17th, 2009, 03:50 PM
Trying to remember member

Originally Posted by krobsklassics
Good afternoon everyone. I am looking at a 1968 Cutlass 442 that had a dealer installed W-30 package after the car was purchased. The gentleman is the original owner, with POP and all documents with the car.

It has most all the original paint and is in great shape. It has 46K miles, red/bvtop, blk fender strip, auto, PS,PB, tic toc tac, floor shift/console, Blk interior.

Does the dealer added package, after the car is purchased hurt the value VS. a ordered W-30 package?

Welcome! I hope you've found a home here.
"Hurt" the value? I have to presume you mean is it worth less? Than only means anything if you are selling the car. If you're not selling the car, higher value means more $$ to keep, more $$ to insure, and more $$ to worry about like driving it?
But to answer your question directly, no, it is not as valuable as a factory car. But documented as a dealer install, it could be worth more than an undocumented factory car. If it started as a Cutlass, it would be worth less than if it started as 442.
And the stripe has to be correct if it is to pass as W-30, dealer install or otherwise!
Old May 17th, 2009, 03:56 PM

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-question.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-36-watch.html

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-question.html
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:05 PM
Old(s) Fart

Olds did sell the components of the W-30 package from the parts counter, and at the time some dealers did install these parts. Unfortunately, an after-the-fact conversion will not be worth as much as a documented factory original one.
Old May 17th, 2009, 06:15 PM
olds..older..oldest

? pre-sale facts and figures

Not that I have a lot of Olds info to pass on,or that people can't use CO for there own purposes, it's just that the May 8/09 post from this user still " sticks in my craw"......Get all the advice a la' Olds afficionado, then list on Ebay ignoring the member's advice and suggestions. IMHO Derek
Old May 17th, 2009, 09:38 PM
Just an Olds Guy

If you can post the cars VIN on the site, someone here will be able to tell you whether it's a real 442 or a Cutlass all dressed up. What does the original owner have documented as being added to the car?
Old May 18th, 2009, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by derek nesdoly
Not that I have a lot of Olds info to pass on,or that people can't use CO for there own purposes, it's just that the May 8/09 post from this user still " sticks in my craw"......Get all the advice a la' Olds afficionado, then list on Ebay ignoring the member's advice and suggestions. IMHO Derek
Thanks, Derek. I didn't pick that up. And I agree with you.
Fact is that he was told the transmission was not original and he essentially lied about it in the E-bay ad.
I don't have the time of day for someone like that.
Old May 18th, 2009, 05:31 AM
Past Administrator

He apparently is not an Olds enthusiast, he appears to be a used car salesman. Just my opinion.
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:12 PM
is Fast Enough ...

pownd ...

Old May 19th, 2009, 03:37 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
He apparently is not an Olds enthusiast, he appears to be a used car salesman. Just my opinion.
"Korb" is apparently a used car salesman trying to get free appraisal advice.