Thinking of buying a 1970 442

Search this Thread

Old October 4th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Thinking of buying a 1970 442

Ok, I do not own a 442 right now... Very interested in buying one though... I have my eye on a couple and would like to get some advise from you guys...

There is a local guy that as been collecting these cars all his life some he has quite a few of them... I only went and looked at his cars once so I can only give an idea of the shape of his cars... I know nobody can give me exact prices of what to pay on the info I give but if you can give me an idea of what you would pay for one of these that would be great...

Both cars are 1970 442... One is white(which he said they called the color bamboo) the other is blue... The blue one is a 4 speed which I know is worth more(Yes, a factory four speed... The white one is automatic

He has a couple that are his least favorite and I am looking at those because I asked him which ones would be the easiest to get off of him after the one I kept looking at he said it would take a lot of money to buy it from him... So, they both seem to have original motor and transmission which I now would add the value to the cars... I would have to double check that but he has been buying these cars over the last 30 years and when I looked under the hood everything seemed right... The cars do have some surface rust and a little rust in the regular places like the rear quarters... really these cars need to be gone all through but they are not a rust bucket by any means they have been stored in a barn...

Only looked at his cars one day wish I would have taken some pictures of the cars... I asked him to give me a price on the cars but he wouldn't... He wanted me to make an offer but I said I have no idea where to start on the offer... I know these cars are worth some money and believe me overall these two cars are in good shape but they are going to need attention everywhere to make the car a nice... Now, I'm not trying to fix the car up to be a show car just a nice vehicle to drive and maybe nice car that could be a daily driver...

The way in had so many cars in the barn I didn't crawl underneath them but I'm assuming most likely floor pans need to be replaced... The interior all looks like the original interior... Really in good shape for the age of the car but everything could use to be redone like the seats, headliner and carpet pretty much all attention to interior but everything is there...

Now also with everything I said if someone just wanted to buy one of these cars that could just get the car running... They just need the regular things to get running again like a tune up... the guy said if he had time to more the cars and get them out that he could get them to start up... Now like I was saying if someone just wanted to get the cars running you could just drive the cars they way they are if you just wanted something to play with... They wouldn't have slick new paint and excellent interior but you could just enjoy the car the way it is now...

Like I said I know nobody and give me any exact prices on what you would pay but any ideas would be appreciated...

I have looked at Nada but it seems like those prices are way too high for the condition these cars are in... Thats why I'm asking for some advise

Last edited by spiderjason; October 4th, 2010 at 08:00 PM.
Old October 4th, 2010, 07:15 PM

welcome, unfortunately you are asking us to tell you how much your house is worth, we have no idea unless you can post pics and tell us specifics, search the forums and see what other people ask about when selling or buying cars.

What condition are the cars in, whats the VIN number (is it a true 442?) what options, etc.

Typically I tell people to buy the best car that you can afford because it will cost you twice as much as the difference to fix it yourself. So if one car is 10k and the other is 15k it will cost you 10k worth of repairs to get your 10k to look like the 15k car you could have bought.
Old October 5th, 2010, 05:00 AM
Past Administrator

Steven is correct, buy the best you can afford. If you want some specific advise you are going to have to give some specific information about the choices.
Old October 5th, 2010, 06:22 AM
71 cutlass convertible

If he is not giving a price. He is not ready to sell or ready to deal unless you give him a price that is more than the car is worth. I think he sees someone that wants one of his cars badly. I would walk away and keep looking don't fall in love with the first one you see. my .02
Larry
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:29 AM

I started on here like this too I didnt have a olds till after I had found classic olds too. Have you looked on here and 442.com to see if there is a car that is like the ones you are looking at that will give you a comp to look at and barder with. There are alot of nice cars out there do you have a price set ? I know lots of people hate e bay but there are alot of cars that run thrue there and not all are bad. were are you from?
Old October 5th, 2010, 07:51 AM

30 yrs. ago, I bought a '69 coupe w/ buckets, console and air for $500! From a dealer!
I dislike guys that won't give a price, as they're very hard to read!
Some just want to double their money, others want current market value, and you can't tell where they're coming from!
I'd start at $3500 and try to get a read. If he's insulted, he'll walk away - if he's serious, [about selling] he'll come up w/ a high number - negotiate 'til you get towards the middle between the two, then subtract $5-700 dollars and say that's all you have - usually works!
Old October 5th, 2010, 08:10 AM

It's hard to give advice with out more info and pics.

The owner knows he wants he just wants to see if you think they are worth more then he does or he is not ready to sell unless you gave a large amount of money. I bet you can find a better car for the price he will want for one of his.
Old October 6th, 2010, 07:32 PM

Ok, thanks for the advise everybody... I knew it was going to be hard to get an idea of the price by the info I gave but I wanted to get an idea...

firefrost gold - you asked where I was from... I live close to Houston, TX

Rickman48 - I think you hit it on the head around what I wanted to pay you said start with $3,500... I was thinking $4,000 was the most I wanted to pay for one of the two he wants to sell... If he would take $3,000 I would buy in a heart beat... $3,500 would be fine also...

The guy isn't hurting to sell the cars but the guy has twelve 442's... That's right twelve... He also has one 1970 cutlass and a GTO... So really these two are his least favorite... So, i hopefully he would let one go for a decent price...

Like I said before these cars are good fixer up cars... They are in good shape and don't have a ton of rust but I was just wondering if $3,500-$4,000 would be insulting someone for a 1970 442 with original motor and trans...

If anyone has spent around $3,500 for a numbering matching 442 and have a pic please email to me... You can also email me at xr7cougar1971@hotmail.com I will try and go back sometime and take some pics of the cars but it will most likely be about a month before I go back... i don't want him to think I'm too eager to buy...

I attached a pic of a 1968 442 that I found on craigslist that looks pretty close to the condtion of the cars I'm looking at... Its not even a great pic but as close as i could find...
Attached Images
Old October 7th, 2010, 08:00 PM

Hmmmm kinda rusty,not sure if they run,sitting for a long time,owner wants you to make a offer......Sounds like the guy is trying to reel in a sucker.Tell him to give you a price ,if he dont tell him to get bent and go shopping.The economy is not so good and alot of these cars are popping up at fair prices