1978 98 regency diesel engine problems

Search this Thread

Old October 30th, 2009, 11:51 AM

1978 98 regency diesel engine problems

Its a target master diesel, not sure of anything else but that. I was looking through the records the previous owner gave me and could not locate the engine type. I must ask him personally.
Moving on
If I accelerate to highway speed then let off the accelerator, the engine will sometimes deviate from its normal "chug chug chug chug chug burp burp burp burp chug chug chug chug chug burp burp burp burp chug chug chug chug chug" etc which is what I have heard from the car since I bought it. not sure if the burps are normal, but I know the following sequence is not right: "chug chug chug chug chug buuuuurp....... buuuuuuurp......... buuuuuurp........ *shudder and die*" the normal burps cause the vehicle to jerk noticeably probably due to the engine itself jerking around. (it has 23:1 compression after all). Main point being the engine dies after intense acceleration if I haven't warmed it up. It will also die trying to get up hills.

Even if it doesn't die and I am traveling on a highway, it still takes 20 seconds to get to 60 miles per hour. It has good acceleration to start out, but it noticeably slows around 35 miles per hour if the car is not warmed up right until the needle is crawling. The pedal is on the floor and I can't make it accelerate faster. it is not the throttle at all, because after an hour on the highway acceleration is excellent.I think the fuel filter has clogs that get saturated on long drives allowing better fuel flow for better acceleration later in the trip.

My thoughts are this:
the fuel filter needs replacing (likely anyways even if it is not the cause of the problem)
fuel pump
Injector pumps/tubes need to be cleaned/replaced

Any thoughts on this problem and how to troubleshoot are greatly appreciated

Radiator problems:
Happened only once, the radiator fluid overflowed. Since then I have noticed the coolant visibly boiling after only a short trip.
I suspect the thermostat or the radiator itself. The fan seems to be working fine.

Kinked line to the water/diesel separator thingy (Very technical I know... I will upload a photo) needs to be fixed. I know the basics of undoing the clamp and fixing it but not enough where I am confident to actually do it, as I am very noobish when it comes to tinkering around with cars.

Tutorials and troubleshooting for this and all problems stated above greatly appreciated.

Last edited by KRICHEN922; October 30th, 2009 at 08:33 PM.
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'd gut that diesel lump right out of there, but that's just me.
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:35 PM

hahahahahahahahahaha and lose the car's character? Diesels are amazing anyways... much more fuel effecient than a gas and can pull heavier loads than gasoline (not that i'd ever use this baby as a work horse) I am going to buy a 1960 something toronado gas from the same guy.... that'll be my gas oldsmobile.

but any help on how to fix the car AS IS with none of this Rodolph Diesel dissing would be much appreciated.
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I'd join a diesel forum for the motor stuff, and come hang out here for all the non diesel related items. 99% of the folks on here are gasoline powered.
A few are even diesel blocks converted to gasoline.

Welcome to the forum. No offense, but I can tell you're young.
A Diesel project, and a Toronado project?!!? I think you're insane, and have a lot of work ahead of you.
It will definitely build some character if you pull it all off.
I know better now that I'm older now though haha.

Last edited by J-(Chicago); October 30th, 2009 at 12:53 PM.
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:47 PM

my dad had several of these diesels. i would first change the fuel filters and see what you have. also the antifreeze boiling after a short time has me concerned. it is common to blow head gaskets if you are heavy footed. most likely you have a head gasket problem if it is boiling in a short time. also today's fuel is very dry. you should add a little ATF to your fuel to keep the injection pump in good order.
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:48 PM

and yes, i would also change the fuel transfer pump.
Old October 30th, 2009, 12:56 PM

Thanks for the input. But I have no idea where I could find a diesel group. Nothing is turning up anywhere. But any help you guy can give me is much appreciated. Like I said, very noobish on even basic car functions
Old October 30th, 2009, 05:10 PM

try this, this guy knows his stuff with oldsmobile diesels.

http://www.olds-diesel.com/
Old October 30th, 2009, 07:02 PM

Hm. Not the most informative on my type of engine but I do have a 350 diesel I could get free from the previous owner. Thanks! This would be a grat time for me to start tinkering around with engines
Old October 30th, 2009, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by J-(Chicago)
I'd join a diesel forum for the motor stuff, and come hang out here for all the non diesel related items. 99% of the folks on here are gasoline powered.
A few are even diesel blocks converted to gasoline.

Welcome to the forum. No offense, but I can tell you're young.
A Diesel project, and a Toronado project?!!? I think you're insane, and have a lot of work ahead of you.
It will definitely build some character if you pull it all off.
I know better now that I'm older now though haha.
lol. I may be young but I aint stupid. I plan to get my baby all set and ready to go before I even consider buying that toronado. The interior of the toronado is fine, but the engine is F*ked up. Not sure how bad as only my father has seen it. It last ran in 1977. It is a 1967.
Old October 31st, 2009, 05:38 AM

It is cool that you have a diesel Olds. You might be the one laughing at us when we all have to park our Oldsmobiles in 15 years when gasoline hits $9.00+ a gallon. I've often considered purchasing a diesel Olds and restoring it. It would even be fun to convert the diesel engine to run on veggie oil.

From what you are describing I would definitely change the fuel filter and do some maintenance on the injectors and lines. From my understanding the Olds diesel engine was pretty durable, it was just the red headed step child Oldsmobile made.
Old October 31st, 2009, 06:50 AM

Thanks for the input. Thats what I've been thinking. But the original 350 diesels that this thing would have carried was good in thought, but when manufactured had weak parts. I would have to replace the bolts on the head gaskets and do a bunch of other engine dohickymabobers that I have no idea how to do in order to fix what the inept folks at GM did to it originally.

My engine is a GM replacement engine... a Target master. Pretty much all I know on it right there... cept that it runs pretty good.
Old October 31st, 2009, 12:05 PM

If he will give you the original 350 no cost get it. Take it apart use it as learning tool. That will give you a better idea how they work. The only thing it will cost you is time. Time well spent.
Old October 31st, 2009, 01:59 PM

Yeah thats what I plan on. Even if it isnt the original 350 I can still learn on it.
Old November 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
Seasoned beater pilot.

We should move this to the small block section, or merge it with his other thread.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 08:44 AM

gah i thought it was a big block!
Old November 2nd, 2009, 10:35 AM

The 350 is a small block.
Old November 2nd, 2009, 07:51 PM

I'm inept
Old November 3rd, 2009, 09:41 AM

Diesel exhaust is the best.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:11 PM

Agreed on that one. keeps the tailgaters off of my back thats for sure!