400 Bronze/ID this part

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2011, 05:28 PM

400 Bronze/ID this part

Well I found a small metal piece covered in grease and noticed a little of the original bronze paint showing through, it was attached to a portion of the engine harness that had a plastic clip.
Anyone know what this part is?

Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
PICT0093.jpg (20.9 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg
PICT0095.jpg (56.8 KB, 46 views)
Old July 9th, 2011, 07:59 PM
Randy C.

Well, I'm not 100% sure on this, but that piece looks very similar to the piece barely shown in Manual Section 6-1, page 129, in the right hand picture on that page. I think it is the piece that bolts in with the furthest aft upper valve cover bolt (that's the hole in your picture where the paint is not there). The hole to the right is where a plastic fastener fits in - the plastic fastener is contained in a 2-wire harness that comes from the (+) side of the coil. The assembly manual shows a clamp that holds a vacuum line to the top of that piece, the vacuum line coming from the intake manifold and going to the brake booster. That's my best guess, based on what I saw on my '69 4-4-2.

What I'm not too sure about with the piece you pictured is how that vacuum line is attached to the piece. The picture in the assembly manual shows a "clamp". On my car, that tab on the end simply wraps around a solid vacuum line.

I looked on the driver side of my '68 and that piece is completely different than the one on the '69. On the '68, there is a tab with a clamp that holds the vacuum line, and there is also a hole that holds the plastic fastener with the wires from the coil. But, on top of all that, there is another tab that holds a plastic spark plug 4-wire holder. No such holder exists on the driver side of my '69.

Another thought - my '68 is a bare bones car - not too many options. The '69 has A/C, power windows, and cruise control. That might explain some differences. As well, I've noticed there are other minute differences between the '68 and '69 engine compartments, although at first glance they look the same.

Bottom line, though, is the piece you pictured looks very much like the piece that's bolted to the aft top bolt on the driver side valve cover and holds a 2-wire harnesss from the (+) side of the coil (with the plastic fastener) and a vacuum line that comes from the manifold aft of the carburetor and goes to the brake booster.

Randy C.
Old July 9th, 2011, 08:35 PM

Thanks Randy, I thought it might have something to do with the coil too.