455 Broke at Bell Housing and Repaired

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2012, 04:51 PM

455 Broke at Bell Housing and Repaired

I recently bought a 72 455 Long Block and Engine Stand. Luckily I didn't pay alot for it.

I noticed a repair to the top left bell housing bolt area. The guy said, they were taking the motor off the engine stand, not realizing that the hoist wasn't holding all the weight. So down to one bolt left, and it broke out of the block then the hoist caught the motor. They welded the piece back in. It appears to be strong and all good, but it is ugly as sin.

Would you guys use the block or scrap it and look for another one? I actually have another one I can use already. I'm just on the fence of trying to selling the block since it's a standard bore 455, or just scrap it??? I just hate to see it go to the scrapyard if it's useable.

Opinions???
Old May 19th, 2012, 06:45 PM

I bought a rebuilt never fired 455 with lots of goodies inside, it had a crack in the upper pass side belhousing bolt. Had it welded at a welding shop with some special welding rod. Used a manual trans bellhousing as a jig to drill and tap the hole. Been in the car now for 7 years.
Old May 19th, 2012, 07:35 PM

This one didn't even break at the hole. The bolt hole is fine as is. It just broke a chunk of the block out. They put it back in like a puzzle piece and welded it back in. Seems like it would be fine. I'd rather get $50 out of the block and see someone use it, than throw it in with a truck I'm getting ready to scrap and get close to that for it that way.
Old May 20th, 2012, 05:27 AM

I would keep it as is. You won't be able to see it when it's in the car, and I'm sure it'll hold as you have 5 other bolts to back it up.

If the looks of it bother you, grind it a little bit so it's a little more presentable.
Old May 21st, 2012, 05:38 AM

yep, a little grinding, a little paint will do wonders. if it is structurally sound it'd be foolish to junk it!
Old May 21st, 2012, 03:41 PM

Glad you guys agree. I think it's a totally rebuildable, maybe even just reringable block. I'd much rather see someone use it, than scrap it.
Old June 10th, 2012, 01:33 PM

An update. I put it on CL for $100. A guy hit on it saying he was looking for JetBoat motor to build. I told him that is what this one was until it spun a bearing. He agreed the pics of the repair wouldn't affect it. The crank needed turned anyway, but was still very good otherwise. Being I like to sleep at night knowing I didn't rip someone off, and it's going to a good home, I threw the crank in and he bought it for $100. I got out of it what I had in it, plus I got to keep the 7 good rods, heads, and the engine stand it came with. All is well.
Old June 10th, 2012, 01:40 PM

Now I get to get busy on the complete 70 455 with E heads and 2bbl carb I bought for $100. Sucks it didn't have the front bracketry but all else was there including starter and flywheel. Thinking about trying to fire it up and see how it runs. Might just put an Eddy Performer intake on it and run it as is for awhile. It'll be going in a 84 or 85 Chevy Pick Up. No more peanut port smog riddled heads 454 !!!