455 Exhaust Manifold Removal Tips?

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2024, 11:08 AM

455 Exhaust Manifold Removal Tips?

I'm replacing the (likely original) disintegrated exhaust manifold gaskets on my 70 Vista Cruiser, bone stock 455 with air. Driver's side came off surprisingly easy after a long PB Blaster soak. But the passenger side...grrr.
The front-most bolt came out easy. I can't figure out a way to get to the other bolts, hold the socket in place, and get any leverage using any of the variety of breaker bars and swiveling ratchets I've tried to employ. There's just no room in there.
Anyone have a tip on how to get this done?

Thanks!
Old April 16th, 2024, 11:39 AM

FYI Olds did not use exhaust manifold gaskets, if you dont need to use a gasket there dont, its just something thats prone to leak after a while. Use 6 point sockets only and take your time, a broken bolt will be a real pain. You can try some heat also to loosen.
Old April 16th, 2024, 02:33 PM

Now I'm tempted to just put the new exhaust on and see if that solves all the leak problems on this side of the car.
Old April 16th, 2024, 02:46 PM
Past Administrator

The leaks may be due to loose bolts or worn/rusted surfaces on the manifold. If you are able to remove the manifold succesfully you can check the mating surface for flatness and clean it up, chase the bolt holes in the head with a thread chaser and then use new bolts you may not have any leaks. If you try heat, concentrate as much as possible nearest to the heads, this will cause them to expand somewhat and hopefully the bolts will come out easier. It is awfully crowded on the passenger side with A/C and all so I know it isn't easy. By the way, you can also try quenching the area after heating with some product like PB Blaster, that will sometimes allow the penetrant to chase down the threads in the head and break the bolts free. Good luck.
Old April 17th, 2024, 11:29 AM

The AC box definitely complicates things. Have you tried access through the wheel well? Much easier than trying to get access from above. That should get you better line of visibility to all of them except the rear most. For that one, try putting the front end up on ramps and going at it from below.
Old April 17th, 2024, 01:36 PM

I had the fender liner out doing the heater core and the view of the bolts was better, but it seemed there was still a lot in the way. I was waiting for someone to recommend that option from experience before I did all that disassembly.

Since the passenger side manifold wasn't leaking ( I was only doing it preventatively since the driver's side needed to be done.), I decided to not risk broken bolts and just let this sleeping dog lie. I finished mounting the rest of the exhaust and nothing leaks. I'm declaring victory and leaving the field of battle.
Old April 18th, 2024, 05:10 AM
Past Administrator

Good for you.
Old April 18th, 2024, 08:48 AM

i highly recommend replacing all the manifold bolts when removing the manifolds,the old bolts are prone to loosening up no matter how tight you put them
Old April 18th, 2024, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by jcdynamic88
i highly recommend replacing all the manifold bolts when removing the manifolds,the old bolts are prone to loosening up no matter how tight you put them
Absolutely. On the other side, I took a hard look at the old bolts, and then ordered new ones for all the way around. Worth the wait time on them to not have to do this job again.