455 Rebuilding

Search this Thread

Old May 26th, 2010, 01:27 AM

455 Rebuilding

Alright,
I finally got my engine pulled out and placed on an engine stand with the intake manifold, flywheel, heads, oil pan, water pump all pulled out.
I am waiting on a special tool to have crank shaft / pulley pulled off.

So I am a firm believer to start from the bottom and build my way up.

So is this my first step:
- Hot tank and inspect block, heads, crank, and cam? Is this done at a machine shop?
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:45 AM

Yeah you will want to take it to a machine shop and have them check the block and heads and clean them.

The cam you throw it away and buy a new one.
Old May 26th, 2010, 10:17 AM

Thanks,
before I take it to the machine shop does it matter if I already removed the heads from the blocks?
Should I remove the Cam, pistons, timimg chain and all that other stuff below the block as well?
This is my first engine removal and rebuild and I have to say I had fun taking the engine apart. I also learned I need a air compressor, dam those bolts are on there!!
Old May 26th, 2010, 01:30 PM

Yep,

remove everything, Make sure you mark the rod bearing caps and main caps so they are kept paired up. Mark the each piston as to its location in the block too. Same go's for the lifters and the cam if you are reusing and the rockers. They will charge you at the machine shop for this work.
Old May 26th, 2010, 03:48 PM

Cool,
I was thinking about purching this jit from ebay later down the road which had the rod bearing caps and main bearing caps.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33620
Old May 26th, 2010, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by CaliBoricua
Cool,
I was thinking about purching this jit from ebay later down the road which had the rod bearing caps and main bearing caps.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33620
I think with "comprehensive " kits like that it sometimes pays to front and ask them just what ISN`T in the kit for completion.
I would also find out what type n make the pistons,rods,cam ,lifters are and post your findings here. Someone will be able to tell the quality or otherwise .
This site has some pretty sharp cookies on it .I believe they take their olds manuals to bed with them
Old May 27th, 2010, 09:01 AM
Resident Fish Nerd

Originally Posted by geckonz08
...I believe they take their olds manuals to bed with them
Well, on the nightstand anyway

Personally I'm always skeptical of "kits" sold on ebay. Take your time and do the research before you buy anything. The guys on here are extremely knowledgeable and willing to help, so take advantage of their collective experience. Talk to your machinist and/or call a few of the vendors from here and discuss what your goals are and see what they recommend - you want to do it right the first time or not at all. Definitely pick up a chassis service manual for your car, and I'd also highly recommend getting Bob Gerometta's engine modification and tuning guide. Bob's book is about $20 and is well worth it (just do a google search for it). I spent about 4 months doing research before I even brought my block/crank/heads to the machinist for hot tanking and magnafluxing. Also check out these forums for some good engine tech stuff

http://www.realoldspower.com/phpBB2/index.php

http://btrperformance.com/phpbb/index.php

Good luck!

-John
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:37 AM

What Casa said x 2....save your money till you have a plan for the motor...and listen to your machinest/engine builder and ask a ton of questions.
my .02
Old May 28th, 2010, 06:13 PM

My plan is to get the motor up and running, slowly. I already took the block and heads to the machine shop today with all the parts I took off so he can go through each one and see whats bad and not.
He did say the engine looked as if it had been rebuilt with forged pistons and would let me know how the cylinders were.
I guess now knowing that these 455 engines are costly to build I will use what I can and buy what is needed.
I already have a good intake, 455 Torker and Carburetor 4bbl so if I gotta go with original stock parts then thats what I will do..
Old May 28th, 2010, 07:46 PM

Also, does anyone know if Comp Cams is any good?