74, 455 engine

Search this Thread

Old February 15th, 2007, 05:12 PM

74, 455 engine

Hi
I just wanted to know how hard would it be to put this engine in a 71 cutlass? My car currently has a 350. with 350 trans. The engine is out of a 74, 88. Do I need to change moter mounts and trans? I know this is not the best engine for power, but it should be better than my 350. I am not looking to race it, just a little more power. I can get the engine for dirt cheap , complete.
Thanks,
Mike
Old February 15th, 2007, 07:25 PM

Hi Mike
Easy swap. Trannie will bolt up fine, use the 455 flex plate and it will have holes for the both the TH350 and TH400 torque converters drilled in it. Engine mounts, the metal perch bolted to the crossmember needs to match the rubber mount. So if you don't change the metal perches then use 350 rubber motor mounts. Minor details would be exhaust might need tweaked as the engine is taller and wider. 350 manifolds will fit but not breath as well as big block manifolds. If your car is single exhaust the crossover pipe that runs under the oil pan will need to be changed. The pipe running from the manifold to the back of the car may need adjusted. The drive belt pullys may line up or you may have to bring over the power steering pump from the 455. Your fan shroud may or may not need tweaked. Depending on the size of your radiator you may need to upgrade it for hot summer days. I have made the swap in a couple cars and found I needed a 4 core to keep from overheating with stop and go traffic in the summer for my part of the country. Even with the smogger heads I think you'll enjoy the difference and you can always do other upgrades as the money comes along. Have Fun!
Old February 15th, 2007, 08:13 PM

Originally Posted by 2blu442
Hi Mike
Easy swap. Trannie will bolt up fine, use the 455 flex plate and it will have holes for the both the TH350 and TH400 torque converters drilled in it. Engine mounts, the metal perch bolted to the crossmember needs to match the rubber mount. So if you don't change the metal perches then use 350 rubber motor mounts. Minor details would be exhaust might need tweaked as the engine is taller and wider. 350 manifolds will fit but not breath as well as big block manifolds. If your car is single exhaust the crossover pipe that runs under the oil pan will need to be changed. The pipe running from the manifold to the back of the car may need adjusted. The drive belt pullys may line up or you may have to bring over the power steering pump from the 455. Your fan shroud may or may not need tweaked. Depending on the size of your radiator you may need to upgrade it for hot summer days. I have made the swap in a couple cars and found I needed a 4 core to keep from overheating with stop and go traffic in the summer for my part of the country. Even with the smogger heads I think you'll enjoy the difference and you can always do other upgrades as the money comes along. Have Fun!
Thanks for the great info. Its its bin a long time since I swapped a v8 in a car. I just did a swap in my ranger 2 years ago , but with the same size engine. I am currently going to replace body parts on it, because it was an Ohio car, (rusty doors , fenders) It only has 58.000 orig. miles , but you would not know it by the lower body panels. By the way, what day are you coming over to help, lol.
Thanks for the great info
Mike