Is anyone running a Rocket Racking 2-PC Timing cover?

Search this Thread

Old March 24th, 2024, 12:29 PM

Is anyone running a Rocket Racing 2-PC Timing cover?

I just need to know if the oil slinger is absolutely necessary? Went to put the bottom cover on and it interferes with the slinger. The boss for the seal is pretty thick (wide and deep). so even if I make it clear there's not much room for any slinging anyway. I may have to call John tomorrow, but if anyone knows the answer, I can keep going on putting my oil pan on....Thanks in advance

Last edited by OLDScience; March 25th, 2024 at 08:39 PM.
Old March 24th, 2024, 12:38 PM

I forgot to install the oil slinger when I rebuilt my engine in 1982. No issues so far.
Old March 24th, 2024, 12:42 PM
Running On Empty

Fuhgeddaboudit
Old March 24th, 2024, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
I forgot to install the oil slinger when I rebuilt my engine in 1982. No issues so far.
Ok , thanks for the quick reply...I'm going to leave it out. Couldn't do anything about it anyway, so out it is! The only thing I read is that the rubber seal will get more hot oil than "with" the slinger, so maybe that's a potential for premature failure, but I used a National Seal (NOS) and hopefully it will last...thanks again

Old March 24th, 2024, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Vintage Chief
Fuhgeddaboudit
Cheers Norm
Old March 25th, 2024, 05:49 AM
Old(s) Fart

Olds did not spend the money on parts that were unnecessary. The slinger is intended to minimize the oil on the snout of the crank that would otherwise build up against the front seal and cause a leak.
Old March 25th, 2024, 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Olds did not spend the money on parts that were unnecessary. The slinger is intended to minimize the oil on the snout of the crank that would otherwise build up against the front seal and cause a leak.
I would have to fabricate or modify a slinger to make it work with the 2-Piece cover. The lower cover is installed and so is the oil pan, so time will tell at this point. Other threads and other sites have the same 50-50 opinion on slingers, so the motor will run , but the longevity of the seal was always the concern.

Do you know what the actual failure mechanism is? Heat / Chemical of both? Does the rubber deteriorate/ harden when it fails? I never had one fail, and don't know what a failed seal looks like.
Old March 25th, 2024, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by OLDScience
I would have to fabricate or modify a slinger to make it work with the 2-Piece cover. The lower cover is installed and so is the oil pan, so time will tell at this point. Other threads and other sites have the same 50-50 opinion on slingers, so the motor will run , but the longevity of the seal was always the concern.

Do you know what the actual failure mechanism is? Heat / Chemical of both? Does the rubber deteriorate/ harden when it fails? I never had one fail, and don't know what a failed seal looks like.
Can you explain why the slinger won't work as is with the two piece cover? Curious
Old March 25th, 2024, 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by FStanley
Can you explain why the slinger won't work as is with the two piece cover? Curious
The timing cover boss (at least the one I have) for the seal is much thicker since it's aluminum. Being thicker and thus wider the slinger does not fit around the boss.

Old March 28th, 2024, 04:34 AM

I have left them out and never saw a difference. I think it's more of a splash shield for the seal than an actual "oil slinger". The timing chain will get plenty of oil regardless.