cam help

Search this Thread

Old July 1st, 2013, 02:15 PM

cam help

I need suggestion for a cam to go into my 425 toronado, should I stick with a stock grind? I don't want to get to crazy as I plan to keep original spec valve train. But I think cam profiles have improved in the last 40+ years. I want good street manners but fun to drive.
Old July 1st, 2013, 06:47 PM
Oldsmobile enthusiast

Stock and you will have no problems.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 05:47 AM

Are you looking for a little extra power or are you happy with what you have?
I have a few grinds that will give a bit more power but still retain good street manners and enable you to use the stock valvetrain.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 06:51 AM

i guess that's the problem, the engine as I know it is an old dog. low compression across most cylinders. so I don't really know what it can do. but why not upgrade if I can fit it into the budget.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 07:15 AM

It's not a fix-all. It needs to be in good mechanical condition to get the most out of any change.
Old July 2nd, 2013, 08:20 AM

Yeah I'm in the beginning stages of a engine rebuild, I think I will have to go at least .03 over on the bores, I havent pulled the heads or engine yet still in the paper stage trying to estimate cost
Old July 2nd, 2013, 09:52 AM

A cam change is almost negligible in the cost of a rebuild.

Your paper exercise will probably tell you $3000-5000 depending on a few choices and your machine shop's costs and whether you can personally do any of the assembly or at least disassembly.

I thing you may be planning too much for what you need.

The Toro motors are very VERY well made, and perhaps all you really NEED is a teardown, gasket set, freeze plugs, timing set, cam change. Or less. If the factory cam is OK, you can just keep it in place and spend $ on rockers and pedestals. Save $200-300 on the new .921 lifters you don't need to buy...

Once you decide to bore, you mitaswelled your way into about 5-10x the costs. Inspection may well reveal serviceable bores and pistons. Clean everything, including the crud out of the pistons' oil return holes and ring grooves, reassemble. Machine shop blast clean the block and hone it lightly to seat your new rings...

If it ain't broke don't fix it.

OTOH, if you tear down and find lots wrong, THEN you can start buying parts left and right, and discuss financing with the machine shop.

Either way your heads will probably run a huge bill at the machine shop, because "you need" all new guides, valves, hard seats, etc. etc. etc. ASK THE MACHINE SHOP for a quote, worst case, if the heads "need" everything. You may well find that Chinese AL heads brand new look not very expensive after that. Which mitaswells you into a bore and new pistons and....

Why are you working on this, again? Is there a known actual problem, like burning oil or lack of compression?
Old July 2nd, 2013, 10:33 AM

I have another post titled diagnostic advice olds 425 Toro but the short story low compression all around extreme low compression 2 cylinders, blowing smoke out of the valve cover filter and fill cap.