Engine mounts for 400ci, what can i use.

Search this Thread

Old December 17th, 2014, 04:00 AM

Engine mounts for 400ci, what can i use.

Hello, what engine monts do i have to use for this G block tyoe? is it the same engine mounts on every blocks from 400-425-455 ?

im going to have this 400 g block in my delta 88 / b-body,, do i need complete engine monts bracket that one is on the frame og do i only have to have that monts with rubber and are going to stand on the block? im a little new on this and need to find something to fits correct.... or do i have to make new holes in the frame/front axle for the 400cid engine monts?

thanks for tip.

edit: i mean,, i guess i can still use this that is on my fron axle for the new 400ci enginemonts? or do i have new of this type too? it looks like the smallblock 307 is standing on a type of these. or maybe it is big different? maybe the boltholes are the same as my old?

Maybe i need a complete set of this

and this?

I found this pic too, maybe it is a diffrent between the bracket afterall,.. so i guess i need a complete set of engine bracket and block mounts?

I have only these brackets that is beside the engine....maybe i can`t use them. the old engine owner had plan to have the engine in a pontiac firebird,but it dont fit at all,so maybe he just bought them as a fitment bracket.

Last edited by Oldsragger; December 17th, 2014 at 04:40 AM.
Old December 17th, 2014, 06:47 AM

If the Olds you are putting the G block in already had an Olds smallblock in it you would use the same frame mounts and the same rubber mounts as the 307/small block.
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
If the Olds you are putting the G block in already had an Olds smallblock in it you would use the same frame mounts and the same rubber mounts as the 307/small block.
Oh,really? i tought it was diffrent rubbermounts on small and big blocks, well if it`s right it makes the engine swap a lot easier.

I see on this page it is diffrent part nr on the engine rubbermounts between 330/350 and 400/455 (maybe the same type on 307 like 350ci)

i dont know, maybe the 400/455 is more heavyduty? i just tought to buy a new pair of the 31-2328 (400/455)

http://www.fusickautomotiveproducts....s.asp?dept=346

I will just see when i will do engineswap, so i can see what will fit or not

Last edited by Oldsragger; December 17th, 2014 at 07:52 AM.
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:39 AM

The frame mounts must match the rubber mounts, thats about it. The block itself where the motor mounts attach are in the same location on a SB and BB.
Old December 17th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Oldsragger
Oh,really? i tought it was diffrent rubbermounts on small and big blocks, well if it`s right it makes the engine swap a lot easier.
Somebody hasn't been paying attention...

One more time:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tion-list.html
Old December 17th, 2014, 08:32 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
The frame mounts must match the rubber mounts, thats about it. The block itself where the motor mounts attach are in the same location on a SB and BB.

Aha! got it!

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Somebody hasn't been paying attention...

One more time:

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tion-list.html
Nice info, thanks! i have not see this before,i guess i need to search more so it looks i can use the 2328 rubbermounts then i will just buy new pair, i guess the old one is old and shaky.

Last edited by Oldsragger; December 17th, 2014 at 08:38 AM.
Old December 19th, 2014, 12:47 AM

Question about intake

New question,about Intake, is a bigger (edelbrock) intake always a better choice than the orginal one? on my engine it follow with a edelbrock 2151 intake , the thing is that is confusing me is if the engine was build and tuned in with the stock intake or the alu intake, or if the old owner use the stock intake cause it not build so tall in his car. it`s not standing about that in the papers what intake what was used, only a price on the intake with all the other parts what was for the engine. same with a MDS disturbutor that follow with,, but it stand a stock one in the engine..hmm

When the engine was build by the tuning company it was painted toO, and i see the stock intake is painted too.... so maybe they use the stock cause it flows better then edelbrock intake, so im thinking what to do if i should install the alu intake or leave the stock intake there... im just thinking a bigger intake works better on high speed/revs.

what you guys think ? of course i could just try to shift and see whats happend.lol

Oh,i forgot to say it will be a edelbrock carb on the top,it should be finish tuned in for the engine.. i dont know about what size it is yet,,i will see if i can find the numbers on the carb later.

Stock intake
PC052198_zps29266d1d.jpg

2151 intake
PC052197_zps3ee48a55.jpg

Last edited by Oldsragger; December 19th, 2014 at 06:01 AM.