Newb in need of help.

Search this Thread

Old November 25th, 2019, 08:07 AM

Newb in need of help.

Hello guys, Jenny from Maryland here. I'm a complete noob to the olds motors. A few years ago I bought a g body El Camino with a built 425 toronado engine in it. And I loved it. But the more I got into it the more I realize the build was extremely janky and it wasn't long before it blew up catastrophically. I now have a cracked toro block on an engine stand and an oil pan full of shattered Mondello camshaft and I'm super not happy about it.

but for some reason I'm a glutton for punishment and I went out recently and bought another 425 block. It seems I didn't do enough research because it turns out not all 425 blocks were the same. The one I bought was not of a toronado and it seems to have the oddball 45 degree cam bank angle. (Although the lifter diameter seems to be the same as the toro since I was able to take the Toro lifter out of my old block and fit it into my new block) maybe somebody could tell me what that means?
So on to the question... From what I understand different cam bank angles also means different heads correct? Meaning the c code heads that were on my Toro motor would not work?
Would that also mean a set of procomp aluminum heads also not work?
Is modification of the heads easy and an option?
I'm hoping to build a pretty hot engine so is this block not necessarily what I want to have? Should I go with my other idea of building a 425 out of a 455 block?

To give an idea of what I'm looking for. What I had was a 425 with a Mondello cam which I can only assume was Chinese garbage, but it was a pretty choppy cam which is what I liked. I wouldn't mind going for straight-up lopey if it actually puts down the power. I have an Edelbrock performer intake, hooker supercomps, and dual 3" exhaust with flowmaster mufflers.
I have 2 transmissions. Both are th400s but one has a manual valve body and a shift kit. That's the one I intend to put back in the car. I also have a 12-bolt posi rear with 3.73 gears in it.
I'd like to get in the range of maybe 500 horsepower. I don't know if that's wishful thinking or not. I'm looking for advice and I really want to know if the block I have is not going to be best for my application. Like I said I was thinking also about putting 425 internals in a 455 block. Is that doable, if so what kind of parts combination would I need?
Old November 25th, 2019, 09:36 AM

You can get 45° camshafts, no problem. The rest is your choice. But to get 500 hp from either a 425 or even 455 you’ll have to have good heads, enough compression, and a good camshaft etc.
Whats your budget?

Old November 25th, 2019, 10:12 AM

I'm not too concerned about budget I am willing to take as much time as it takes to get all the parts I need. One thing I wanted to do was maybe get a set of the more affordable pro Comp/speedmaster aluminum heads... I wanted to know if they needed to be modified at all to work with a 45 degree cam Bank angle? I have a feeling that I do and I don't necessarily want to hack at my c code heads.
And what kind of Cam options are there? Are there any hydraulic roller options out there? I would obviously prefer to stay away from Mondello.
Old November 25th, 2019, 10:15 AM

Either you did not have a Toro 425 to start with or the 2nd 425 is also a Toro engine. The 425 is a D block look on block top rt side just past water pump for block letter. There is no way a Toro 425 lifter will drop in to a non toro 425.
Old November 25th, 2019, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Either you did not have a Toro 425 to start with or the 2nd 425 is also a Toro engine. The 425 is a D block look on block top rt side just past water pump for block letter. There is no way a Toro 425 lifter will drop in to a non toro 425.
It's quite possible that it wasn't a Toro motor, I honestly just assumed that it was because it was blue and had c code heads on it. And I think the person I bought it from said that it was. but I know that the new motor I have now is not a toronado motor. I just stuck a lifter in the lifter bore and put a square on it and there's no doubt about it that it's a 45-degree cam bank angle. The new block I have is a cast number. 389244D. I'll go and double check the cast number on my old block.
Old November 25th, 2019, 10:51 AM

Well I feel like a dummy, my old block is also a 389244D I guess I will go and check the can Bank angles on this as well? Just to get an idea and see if this is any different? What's my old block a toronado motor or was it not?

EDIT: I checked the cam bank angles on my busted block... They were also 45°, so I guess I never did have a toronado motor. I apologize I didn't mean to lie, like I said I'm just a under-informed noob.

Last edited by heavenfaced; November 25th, 2019 at 10:57 AM.
Old November 25th, 2019, 11:19 AM

Old November 25th, 2019, 11:52 AM

Originally Posted by Oldsmaniac
Yes I saw that pic before I even joined these forms. My new block definitely looks meatier around the lifter bore like on the left pic, while my old block that I originally thought was a toronado block but isn't doesn't have as much meat around the lifter bore. I used a mic to confirm this.

But still after putting a lifter about 2/3rds down a bore on both blocks and resting an adjustable square against the top of them, they are both 45 degrees to the deck of both engined. I have double and triple checked.

So this leaves me to wonder if the fact that my last engine blew up due to overheating because of the push rods rubbing against the c code heads? When I look at them it doesn't seem like theywere drilled out. I'll go out to my garage and get some pictures if anyone thinks they'll help.
Old November 25th, 2019, 02:49 PM

I got an email back from lunati, they told me that while they do have the ability to grind a 45 degree cam what they don't have is a cam blank to grind it from.
It sounds like olds cam blanks are scarce and I might be running into this problem most places I go.
Old November 25th, 2019, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by heavenfaced
I got an email back from lunati, they told me that while they do have the ability to grind a 45 degree cam what they don't have is a cam blank to grind it from.
It sounds like olds cam blanks are scarce and I might be running into this problem most places I go.
I have other outlets for cams if you're interested..
Old November 25th, 2019, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
I have other outlets for cams if you're interested..
Certainly!
Old November 25th, 2019, 04:18 PM

Certainly!
I pm’d you.
Old November 25th, 2019, 04:34 PM

Originally Posted by cutlassefi
I pm’d you.
Hmm, odd... I'm not seeing it. I sent you an email earlier.
Old November 27th, 2019, 05:01 AM

425 engine

Jenny I have been building Olds engines of many years. I have had some very healthy 425's. PM for more info if you wish. One recommendation is don't spend the money on Mondello parts. There are better alternatives.
Old November 27th, 2019, 05:37 AM

Hmm, odd... I'm not seeing it. I sent you an email earlier.
Pm'd you again.
Old November 27th, 2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by 66SportCoupe
Jenny I have been building Olds engines of many years. I have had some very healthy 425's. PM for more info if you wish. One recommendation is don't spend the money on Mondello parts. There are better alternatives.
I have a hunk of a Mondello camshaft that grenaded and destroyed a 425 block that says I'm never going to buy another Mondello part as long as I live, and that's a promise. I very much appreciate you offering your help! I'll keep you in mind next time I hid a snag.
As for that hunk of camshaft I found in my oil pan... I might make a window crank roller out of it or something.

Thanks Mondello
Old November 27th, 2019, 10:54 AM

I have a hunk of a Mondello camshaft that grenaded and destroyed a 425 block that says I'm never going to buy another Mondello part as long as I live, and that's a promise. I very much appreciate you offering your help! I'll keep you in mind next time I hid a snag.
As for that hunk of camshaft I found in my oil pan... I might make a window crank roller out of it or something.

Thanks Mondello
That really sucks. Maybe a Christmas ornament. Lol. Sorry. I just fired a fresh 432 Toro engine. Should be in the 420 - 475 hp range. You have a couple choices if your other rotating parts are good. Find a 455 block or find a real 425 Toro engine with the .921 lifter bore. Either will guarantee a 39 degree block. Good luck.

Old November 27th, 2019, 12:02 PM
71 cutlass convertible

Where are you in MD. I have a friend that has a complete 455 that he would sell. It is a J headed motor though( mid 70's smog).
It is on the Eastern Shore. It is a thought. I can find out more about it if you want.
Old November 29th, 2019, 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by lshlsh2
Where are you in MD. I have a friend that has a complete 455 that he would sell. It is a J headed motor though( mid 70's smog).
It is on the Eastern Shore. It is a thought. I can find out more about it if you want.
I'm in Baltimore county, the Eastern shore is a trek but I'm not opposed to making it if it's a good block. I'm eyeing up a really nice looking one on the Facebook market place, A guy in Millersville has a few olds blocks, sets of heads, and cranks, including a 455 block and it looks like he must have sand blasted it or something because it's clean looking and it's also already bored 30 over.