Newbie engine question

Search this Thread

Old July 5th, 2015, 01:53 PM

Newbie engine question

I recently purchased this 71 Cutlass Supreme convertible. The 455 was added over 25 years ago, according to the two previous owners relatives. From the serial number on the block I was able to determine it came from a 1969 model, first digits are 39M, but the VIN portion was distorted.

At some point an Edelbrock Performer manifold and carburetor were added. I also noticed it appears that the ignition may have been upgraded. I found a manual dial (MSD) for adjusting the timing. It also had this box listed as a Knock Alert, under the dash. Apparently it isn't working since I get significant detonation or pinging under heavy throttle, or maybe I just need to back off the advance. Any ideas on how to correct my detonation problem would be appreciated! I have already changed to 91 octane non-ethanol gas, assuming the previous owner was using something else.

Also I am wanting to upgrade the front end, since it already has a non-VIN matching motor. Any ideas on bushing kits or rebuild kits, there seems to be a ton of choices out there. The car drives ok, but has a slight rattle from the drivers side. Thinking may be a loose ball joint, but once I get time to put it in the air, I can check closer.

One other thing, it appears to have factory air shocks but they are leaking. Any ideas for replacements?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.
Marc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_2757.JPG (2.82 MB, 29 views)
IMG_2758.JPG (1.24 MB, 26 views)
IMG_2759.JPG (1.57 MB, 33 views)
Old July 5th, 2015, 06:44 PM

I rebuilt the front suspension on my cars several times with individual parts I bought at the local auto parts stores or online from Rock Auto. It seems a lot of the kits out there have parts made offshore that aren't as good quality as manufacturers such as Moog, McQuay-Norris, etc.

You can look up the parts on just about any auto parts web site then shop around for the best prices. I found that the local parts stores often had better prices for some items than the kit sellers (center link comes to mind).