Priming engine oil

Search this Thread

Old January 12th, 2023, 03:45 PM

Priming engine oil

Hi gents- just finished priming the oil to make sure I have oil to all the rockers...well one push rod isnt flowing all the test are flowing nicely...haven't investigated yet..
maybe somebody can give me some insight on what it may be...this is a freshly built 455 30 over. I beleive a comp xe268 flat tappet...any suggestions on were to start looking
Old January 12th, 2023, 03:55 PM

Are you certain that the galley plugs are installed at the distributor hole to oil the distributor gear and camshaft gear (this one has an orifice in it) and the two at the front of the block with one orifice plug and one without an orifice to oil the timing chain? What is being used to drive the oil pump?

Good luck!!!
Old January 12th, 2023, 04:47 PM

I don't knw if its necessary but I rotated the crank 1/2 turn then ran the oil primer again four times. My thinking was that maybe an oil port is closed at some position in the lifters stroke. I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong, but thats what I did.
Old January 12th, 2023, 05:03 PM

I think we have two threads going here...I think the plugs are in once again all rods are oiling except 1 rod #7 exaust ...if the oil gallies weren't plugged more rods would not be oiling ...correct???
Old January 12th, 2023, 05:06 PM

Sorry sugarbear iam using a drill to turn the pump..
Old January 13th, 2023, 01:42 PM

Push rod not receiving oil

New 455 ...priming oil to get ready to put on intake...all push rods and rockers are receiving oil Except 1(#7 exaust rocker) the galley on #7 is pushing oil when lifter and push rod are put in the hole no oil comes up the pushrod to the rocker...switch lifter to brand new and still will not put oil thru the push rod???? Any suggestions ...
Old January 13th, 2023, 02:20 PM

Humor me, try rotating the crank 180 degrees and try again. If that doesnt do it, try another 180 degrees. If that doesnt do it, try another. If that doesnt do it I guess I was wrong and your F#&ked. But it didn't cost 1 cent to try.
Old January 13th, 2023, 02:45 PM

McIntosh X2, it's going to reposition the lifter in the bore. Consider making the second turn to 90° though.

Good luck!!!
Old January 13th, 2023, 02:47 PM
Administrator

X3 only do it in 1/4 turns.
Old January 13th, 2023, 03:25 PM

Ok I will try the180 drgree... and reposition the lifter in the bore I've been lining up the lifter hole with the galley hole no luck..will try the crank rotation...I just cant phantom 1 lifter no getting oil to the rocker....
Old January 13th, 2023, 03:34 PM

When the drill is running look into the distributor cavity to confirm the galley plug with the orifice is there, if it isn't it will cause oil to flood out of the hole in volume vs. build pressure.

Good luck!!!
Old January 13th, 2023, 04:20 PM

Funny you say that cause I took the lifter out of the bore spun the drill and oil shot out 6feet in the air drill was running hi speed when I slowed the drill it flowed out of the galley hole slower ...put the lifter back in and oil flowed out of lifter and around the lifter galley...put push rod in and nothing coming out of the push rod!!!!????
Old January 13th, 2023, 06:26 PM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by Crankit
Funny you say that cause I took the lifter out of the bore spun the drill and oil shot out 6feet in the air drill was running hi speed when I slowed the drill it flowed out of the galley hole slower ...put the lifter back in and oil flowed out of lifter and around the lifter galley...put push rod in and nothing coming out of the push rod!!!!????
I'm assuming you've looked through the pushrod to verify that there isn't crud inside it?
Old January 13th, 2023, 06:39 PM

Yes joe first thing I checked ....using the keep it simple stupid (kiss) well it was clear thus the situation iam in...thanks for thoughts...
Old January 15th, 2023, 01:05 AM

Oil flow is controlled within the lifter between the oil metering valve and the push rod seat. It sounds as if your old lifter and your new lifter may be too restrictive. If you disassemble the lifter, you can modify the flow by making a slight cut in the push rod seat. Olds engines generally have slow oil flow to the rockers.
Old January 15th, 2023, 04:34 AM

Hi ozzie...I took the new rocker apart and found nothing out of place the metering plate looks like the others nothing plugged with dirt or grease...all the other 15 lifters flow fine for an olds...i also put another lifter in that galley and still nothing?? I can see the oil coming out of the galley hole but will not climb the pushrod...their is a slight bit of oil in the pushrod when I remove it like it's trying to push it up to the rocker but cant make it..thanks for the info I will look into it...crankit
Old January 15th, 2023, 12:25 PM

Have you tried swapping the lifter and push rod in that location with a lifter and pushrod from a location you can see is delivering oil. I would swap the rocker into the new location as well. If the set you know was working in another hoie works in that hole you know it is the parts not the block or oil galleys. You can interchange parts from there to narrow it down to the specific problem.
Old January 15th, 2023, 12:52 PM

Hi loaded I did swap the lifters and push rod they work in the hole that wasn't but now dont work in the one that was working...both galleys flow oil so I said lifter must be bad... swap with brand new and still the same no oil thru push rod ..I see oil coming out the lifter and a little rolls out the pushrod when removed...plugged push rod no clean as brand new all other lifters are oiling fine, , thanks for the post...crankit
Old January 15th, 2023, 01:07 PM

If I understand your post correctly, after the switch; the #7 exhaust is now delivering oil but the parts swapped from there to a new hole are not? If this is tha case, swap the pushrod/ lifter only one at a time to narrow it down to the troublesome component. Is the oil hole centered in the end of the questionable push rod on both ends? I have seen damaged push rods where the hole was off-center or the end was deformed which is the only thing I can think of that would cause this issue if the pushrod is open and when swapped that rod continues to restrict flow.
Old January 15th, 2023, 01:10 PM

Also, have you tried spraying brake clean or carb cleaner through the suspected push rod?
Old January 15th, 2023, 01:32 PM

Yes I have done exactly what you said swapping only the rod then the lifter...and what ever hole I swap they work....the only thing I haven't switched is the rocker??? Plugged hole off center I have sprayed both rods they are clear I had to walk away for the day I was loading my pistol(Lol) but I will be back at it tomorrow thanks for the info....crankit
Old January 15th, 2023, 04:50 PM

Just to be perfectly clear: The only common part not working is one push rod correct? Meaning, the #7 push rod still does not work in other holes and with other lifters, but other push rods do work in the #7 hole and do work with the original #7 lifter. Please correct me if this is not the case. Are they original style replacement push rods or aftermarket performance parts? If they are original replacements, you can buy single push rods rather than a full set. At this point if that push rod is the common denominator and it does not work no matter where it is, I would just get a new one and be done with it.
Old January 15th, 2023, 06:02 PM

Is it wierd I'm anticipating the answer to this more that the next episode of Yellowstone?
Old January 16th, 2023, 12:46 PM

Ok guys here it is the next episode!!! I checked both oil galley ports their getting oil put in both lifters they seem to be getting oil...put in push rods one doesn't get oil switch push rods one still doesn't get oil eureka!!!.. bad push rod OHHH NO that would be to easy put brand new lifter in bad hole nothing from push rod DAMN...I use the crank turning method suggested by member quarter turn at a time when lifter reaches top of the lobe I run the drill on hi 2-3 minutes...I cant beleive my eyes I see a little tiny drop of oil coming out of the bad pushrod...why this is happening is beyond my pay grade!!!! maybe the lifter finally pumped up it was checked 1000 times or the brand new old lifter was no good and I thought it was pushing oil...so now I at least have a dribble so I put my pistol away ...want to thank all the contributors to my oppo loop dilemma...and the moderators for using all your bandwith ,data whatever still not as good as yellowstone..but stay tuned for more episodes LOL thanks ...crankit