Speed master heads...

Search this Thread

Old February 10th, 2020, 08:45 AM

Speed master heads...

I have looked around and just wondering if these heads will accept stock valve train? I’m looking for weight savings over the cast iron heads I have now. I don’t have the clearance to use roller rockers unfortunately... what is everyone’s thoughts on these heads out of the box?
Old February 10th, 2020, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by 06 dodge cr
I have looked around and just wondering if these heads will accept stock valve train? I’m looking for weight savings over the cast iron heads I have now. I don’t have the clearance to use roller rockers unfortunately... what is everyone’s thoughts on these heads out of the box?
No your stock valve train will not work. They’re OK out of the box, but are better suited to be gone through. You can use roller rockers with stock valve covers with just some minor mods.
Overall a pretty decent piece.
Old February 10th, 2020, 09:01 AM

Ok, thanks for clearing that up.. keep saving my pennies for awhile
Old February 10th, 2020, 09:51 AM

Originally Posted by 06 dodge cr
Ok, thanks for clearing that up.. keep saving my pennies for awhile
The problem might be how many sets of these heads already exist and sit in the US warehouses. Much of China is shutdown and under quarantine, and it doesn't look like this will change anytime soon. The businesses and factories in China are many times very small and may not survive this shutdown of production and trade.
Old February 10th, 2020, 12:37 PM
Beer Connoisseur

Originally Posted by Firewalker
The problem might be how many sets of these heads already exist and sit in the US warehouses. Much of China is shutdown and under quarantine, and it doesn't look like this will change anytime soon. The businesses and factories in China are many times very small and may not survive this shutdown of production and trade.
I'm pretty sure there is quite a bit of supply sitting around in warehouses. I mean there are everywhere on the net and few weeks of quarantine will not affect Oldsmobile market, hell few years would not affect Oldsmobile market for aftermarket heads.

OP, I would get the heads already gone through and set up from either Mark aka CutlassEFI, or Bernard Mondello racing Enterprise.
Old February 10th, 2020, 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by 70cutty
I'm pretty sure there is quite a bit of supply sitting around in warehouses. I mean there are everywhere on the net and few weeks of quarantine will not affect Oldsmobile market, hell few years would not affect Oldsmobile market for aftermarket heads.

OP, I would get the heads already gone through and set up from either Mark aka CutlassEFI, or Bernard Mondello racing Enterprise.
Hopefully you are right, but trade now a days depends a lot on just in time delivery of products rather than a large storage of them. I already have a set of them new bare bought a year or 2 back plus a set of Edelbrocks used off Ebay from years back. So no worries for me there, but a real train wreck is happening on most things. Having any heads doubled check is always a good idea.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/steveba...e-coronavirus/
Old June 30th, 2020, 05:57 AM

So what’s wrong with running them out of the box? I keep seeing to get them gone through.
Old June 30th, 2020, 07:32 AM

Attention to detail. Valve guides may not be sized properly, probably have casting flash in the runners, probably at least need to be cleaned, the valve seat will have been, ah, "efficiently" cut, deck, intake and exhaust surfaces may not be anywhere near flat.
The casting flash can break off and break stuff.
Valve guides too tight can seize valves and break stuff. Valve guides too loose can leak oil.

Frankly, Edelbrock heads need the same QA, but usually very few fixes are required.
Old June 30th, 2020, 08:24 AM

And the split locks for the valve spring retainers are soft and mash out til they pop off and a valve drops. A dropped valve will break pistons.
Old June 30th, 2020, 12:13 PM

Is there any out of the box heads worth a crap, just to use on a street car.
Old July 1st, 2020, 11:06 PM

Originally Posted by Deejcut461
So what’s wrong with running them out of the box? I keep seeing to get them gone through.
They're made-in-China by (or for) a company that ran it's original name into the ground due to ****-poor quality. So they change their Company name, pretend to be better, and sell the same compromised stuff.
Old July 2nd, 2020, 12:30 AM

Speedmaster was actually their original name.
Best out of the box cyl head for an Olds is an Edelbrock.
Typically only the guides need touching up but I’ve taken apart a few that we’re just fine. Stock valve job is more for durability and longevity, but can be improved as well if desired.
But I’ve sold and/or used dozens of sets of bare Procomp/Speedmaster heads, no issues.
Old July 2nd, 2020, 06:18 AM

Any roller rockers besides the Harland Sharp rockers (which are the best- But pricy) which fit well with the hardware that came with speedmaster heads?

​​​​CompCam?

Skorpion?