Update on 400 E

Search this Thread

Old December 15th, 2015, 10:44 AM

Update on 400 E

Hi all I talked to my friend today who put the engine ,he talk to the owner of the engine builder, they said they will do what ever it takes to fix, They think it could of been old lifters or rod ,they ordered them in Calf I hope not the place where I'm thinking of,But Still not sure what's going to be done maybe the top end? I asked about my blowby he said sometimes it takes 2 or 3 thousand for the rings to sit I only have 1,200 on it but I never heard of that, what do you guys think
Thanks
Steve

Last edited by sammieolds; December 15th, 2015 at 10:46 AM. Reason: Add
Old December 15th, 2015, 12:23 PM

It is good they will do whatever it takes. At this point I would not assume anything just let them do what should be done. Cast rings usually seat almost immediately and initially all rings should be seated enough NOT to cause blowby...
Old December 18th, 2015, 07:57 PM

Depends on how the cyl was honed. Where hone for cast rings or moly rings.
did they hone for one style and use the other.

Gene
Old December 19th, 2015, 08:04 AM

Was it blowby or smoke? I had a 400E that smoked like crazy and it turned out to be lifters. Replaced them and it cleared right up.
Old December 19th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Administrator

He has an oil pressure issue. I hope they get it straightened out.
Old December 19th, 2015, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by sammieolds
Hi all I talked to my friend today who put the engine ,he talk to the owner of the engine builder, they said they will do what ever it takes to fix, They think it could of been old lifters or rod ,they ordered them in Calf I hope not the place where I'm thinking of,But Still not sure what's going to be done maybe the top end? I asked about my blowby he said sometimes it takes 2 or 3 thousand for the rings to sit I only have 1,200 on it but I never heard of that, what do you guys think
Thanks
Steve
Seams I'm missing something. I thought this was about blowby, now was mention oil pressure.
Since this an update, I must have missed the original post.
Now I don't understand "old lifters" and I don't know what "rod" is. I'm not understanding why a shop would use old lifters!

The other I missing is how lifters cured blow-by or smoking. I'm betting they maybe replaced the lifters,(but maybe not) and since it was apart they put better valve stem seals on.
I'm going to stay with my comment of how cyl's were honed or maybe valve stem seal need looking at.

Gene
Old December 19th, 2015, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Here are the threads that he started, start with the "problems with the new engine" and work your way up.
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...archid=3042122
Old December 19th, 2015, 11:50 AM

I recently (within the past 6 months) had this issue with a 400 E engine. Freshly built with all new internals. Money was not spared building this engine. It had severe oil smoke and would fill the valve covers with oil.
Turned out to be the "new lifters" that were installed. There was a run of these lifters that would over pump the oil to the heads. This was a huge issue and I would have never guessed such a cure for the problem. I contacted the supplier and they agreed it was an issue they had before and supplied me with another new upgraded set of lifters. I installed them and as before did a cam break in and no smoke and it runs awesome.

I would have never imagined such a cure.

Larry
Old December 19th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Administrator

Yeah, I remember your issue. Odd, who'd a thunk it?