71 Cutlass Supreme Grill Repair

Search this Thread

Old September 23rd, 2013, 07:05 PM

71 Cutlass Supreme Grill Repair

I have a set of 1971 Cutlass Supreme grills that I would like to repair. All of the tabs that mount them to the stone shield are OK but both of the large tabs that mount them to the radiator support are gone. My thought was to fab up a couple brackets and pop rivet them to the side behind the face of the grill. The problem is I don't have the pieces so I don't know how long the are.

Does someone have a grill out of the car that hey could take a pic of so I can scale it. Or even better, take a measurement from the inner edge of the casting to the outside of the tab. I have attached a picture of my grill for reference.

I would get a set of repop 442 grills but from what I read on this site they don't fit very well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (41.4 KB, 92 views)

Last edited by dsolomon; September 24th, 2013 at 11:50 AM.
Old September 24th, 2013, 12:11 PM

Thought I would add a couple updated picture of my car to this post. Its come a long way from the signature pic. Hopefully I can put a completed one up here soon.
Attached Images
2.jpg (81.0 KB, 96 views)
1.jpg (153.5 KB, 113 views)
Old September 24th, 2013, 03:56 PM
72 Olds CS

that looks real nice dan what color is that ?,

i will try to remember to measure my 71supreme grills for you tomorrow morning (EST).

In the (great) chance that i forget feel free send me a pm to remind me
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:22 PM

Thanks RetroRanger! The color is GM Cyber Grey metallic. It has been on the Corvette and the new Camaro for a few years. I believe since 2009. I thought it would look sharp with the white interior and the chrome.
Old September 24th, 2013, 04:36 PM
Administrator

Looks great. I would think with some thought you can come up with something to make them work.
Old September 25th, 2013, 12:52 PM
72 Olds CS

Yeah I really like the gray in the pic from the front it looks pretty tough !!

heres the grill measurements LMK if they are not clear i called the sides drvrs and passengers but all pics are from the same drvrs side grill just where the tab is located...FYI these are for sale in the FS ads I havent had much action w them so feel free to amke an offer if your interested.

HTH

drvrs side grill

Top of grill

pass side of drvrs grill

bottom of drvrs grill

drvs side of drvrs grill

Attached Images
71 supreme grill low mag 1.jpg (374.4 KB, 262 views)
71 supreme grill top.jpg (384.3 KB, 260 views)
71 supreme grill pass side.jpg (390.6 KB, 266 views)
71 supreme grill bottom.jpg (365.9 KB, 264 views)
71 supreme grill drvrs side.jpg (363.4 KB, 268 views)
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:17 AM

Thanks again Retro! The pictures are perfect. The tabs that are missing are the ones that mount it to the radiator support. Looks like they are flush with the mold runners on the sides which are still on my grill and the length was clearly identified with the tape measure. It appears that they are on an angle. I should be able to estimate that from the photo.

I saw your grills before my post. The only thing that kept me from jumping on them was the lack of the chrome trim. Fusik's wants $65 for a pair and who knows if they will even fit. If my repair job is unsuccessful, I will be in touch.

Dan
Old September 26th, 2013, 09:37 AM

Agreed 100%

check out my grill restoration i did a year ago, it's got great tips and tricks.

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...27s+442+grille
Old September 26th, 2013, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by dsolomon
Thanks again Retro!.........

I saw your grills before my post. The only thing that kept me from jumping on them was the lack of the chrome trim. Fusik's wants $65 for a pair and who knows if they will even fit. If my repair job is unsuccessful, I will be in touch.

Dan
The new outer grill trims from Fusick will fit...but will likely require some "work" to get them on right. Pre-fit, elongating mounting holes in the grill metal, etc. Takes some time (and patience and double/triple checking) but that's part of the drill on many repro parts. Recently installed a pair on a set of '71 Supreme grills here.
Old September 26th, 2013, 11:22 AM

Tony,
Great post on the grills and an awesome job on the resto. I was originally thinking I would black out the center grill when I did my repaint but in looking at your 442 grills I am thinking I might silver the grill and the outer flange and do the side walls in black like yours. Heck might even do one of each and decide that way.

Thanks for the feedback on the trim 70Post. At least I know what I am up against if I fail miserably on the repair.