Chrome bumper restoration 1969 Ninety-eight

Search this Thread

Old November 6th, 2022, 05:27 PM

Chrome bumper restoration 1969 Ninety-eight

I have a bumper that is really nice on the outside, and not so great on the inside. I want to mitigate rust now to keep it from perforating in the future. I have done some chrome repairs in the past and have usually used 0000 steel wool with a chrome polish, or aluminum foil and WD-40, followed by chrome polish and hand buffing. The downside to the 0000 steel wool or aluminum foil, is that it does seem to haze the finish slightly compared to brand new chrome.

he back side is pretty heavily rusted, so I thought wire brush, phosphoric acid, rinse, and then a rust controlling paint in silver. Zinc paint? POR15? I am open to ideas however if someone else has suggestions would love to hear them.

Last edited by nickwisconsin; November 8th, 2022 at 06:28 AM.
Old November 8th, 2022, 05:53 AM

The interior rust on your bumper doesn't seem too bad. After washing the bumper with soapy water you can use anti-rust jelly you get at the local auto parts store to neutralize the rust. POR-15 makes great paint that can prevent further rust.
Old November 8th, 2022, 06:03 AM
Old(s) Fart

Bumpers are chrome plated by dipping them in solution with electrical contacts. The backside was plated originally, but since it is not regularly washed or polished and prone to retaining moisture, it rusts more quickly. As noted, I'd use your rust remover of choice, rinse thoroughly, then paint it with silver POR-15 or similar to mitigate future rust. On the outside, use steel wool first, then polishing compound and a buffer to restore the shine and remove those tiny scratch marks.
Old November 8th, 2022, 06:29 AM

Thanks for the input, all. I got a quote of $1600 to rechrome by one vendor, and $3500 from another, so rust mitigation and paint on the backside it will be!
Old November 8th, 2022, 06:32 AM
Old(s) Fart

Talk to TriCity Plating in NC. Even with shipping it will be worth it.
Old November 8th, 2022, 06:41 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Talk to TriCity Plating in NC. Even with shipping it will be worth it.
Thanks Joe. I have checked out their website, I think they are in Tennessee. Same place? This is not a show car. It is just getting Grandpa's old car presentable. I would love to rechrome, but the outside of the chrome is perfect now that I have buffed it out. I am not sure if I can justify the replate for the backside which will never be seen. Still undecided.
Old November 8th, 2022, 06:44 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by nickwisconsin
Thanks Joe. I have checked out their website, I think they are in Tennessee. Same place? This is not a show car. It is just getting Grandpa's old car presentable. I would love to rechrome, but the outside of the chrome is perfect now that I have buffed it out. I am not sure if I can justify the replate for the backside which will never be seen. Still undecided.
Yeah, sorry, TN. If the outside is good enough, then it's not worth replating just for the backside.
Old November 8th, 2022, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by joe_padavano
Yeah, sorry, TN. If the outside is good enough, then it's not worth replating just for the backside.
My problem with just about everything I do, is that I strive for perfection, even on things that cannot be seen. It is a slippery slope and sometimes I just need to knock that **** off and be sensible.
Old November 8th, 2022, 07:33 AM
Old(s) Fart

Originally Posted by nickwisconsin
My problem with just about everything I do, is that I strive for perfection, even on things that cannot be seen. It is a slippery slope and sometimes I just need to knock that **** off and be sensible.
Trust me, you're not alone...