I bought a 72 cutlass mirror and doesnt work did I mess up? Thank u gentlemen

Search this Thread

Old September 7th, 2021, 05:35 PM

I bought a 72 cutlass mirror and doesnt work did I mess up? Thank u gentlemen

Hello thank you for reading and sorry if this has already been asked but does anyone know if any 1972 oldsmobile cutlass had mirrors like this brown one? The black one was on my 72 oldsmobile cutlass supreme and I bought the brown one to use the remote for my black one but it won't work because it's bigger and

Different and the guy I bought it from said it fits 72 oldsmobile cutlass. Is this true? Did they have different styles? I'm wondering if this was my mistake or if the guy lied to me and it's not even for a 72 cutlass. Thank you dearly guys

Last edited by Dans72; September 7th, 2021 at 05:41 PM.
Old September 7th, 2021, 05:51 PM

They look similar to 71-72 mirrors, but the Cutlass mirrors don't mount with long studs like that; they mount onto a base that is attached to the door.

Pictures on this site show the mounting scheme:
https://www.opgi.com/mirrors-hardwar...e-c241517.html
Old September 7th, 2021, 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by Fun71
They look similar to 71-72 mirrors, but the Cutlass mirrors don't mount with long studs like that; they mount onto a base that is attached to the door.

Pictures on this site show the mounting scheme:
https://www.opgi.com/mirrors-hardwar...e-c241517.html
Fun71 thank you for such a fast answer. I guess the guy shwanked me😭. I don't have much experience with knowing if a part is not right or if it's just a different style.
Old September 7th, 2021, 05:59 PM

That looks like a later 70’s early 80’s cutlass mirror. They look similar but the parts are not interchangeable. For your 71/72 mirror you can use 70-81 Camaro/Firebird sport mirrors for parts.
Old September 7th, 2021, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by 4speed455
. For your 71/72 mirror you can use 70-81 Camaro/Firebird sport mirrors for parts.
Thank you 4speed455 I'm really greatful for your knowledgeable help
Old September 7th, 2021, 06:17 PM

Do you know if this Is the right replacement? Since opgi is out of stock I think I'm gonna bite the bullet and order a brand new one
Old September 7th, 2021, 06:18 PM

Old September 7th, 2021, 06:39 PM

That one is correct. You might want to do some research, I know the 70 only repro mirrors have issues with paint not wanting to stick. I’m not sure if these have the same issue though.
Old September 7th, 2021, 06:59 PM
72 Olds CS

its possible the seller did not realize the difference between the two as they look very similar I assume you only bought it for mechanism to repair yours (given the obvious poor condition of the shell and glass.

I would reach out to the seller and explain the issue, you asked for a 72 mirror not something else.
Old September 7th, 2021, 07:37 PM

Originally Posted by RetroRanger
its possible the seller did not realize the difference between the two as they look very similar I assume you only bought it for mechanism to repair yours (given the obvious poor condition of the shell and glass.

I would reach out to the seller and explain the issue, you asked for a 72 mirror not something else.
Yes you are correct I was going to toss the shell in the trash and when I told him it was different and asked him why he said it was for 72 cutlass he said "I was told it was and it came with my 72 cutlass" so maybe he's telling the truth? I I'm just not sure what I should do 😔 probably lose this one since it was one of those " here's my PayPal account send the money here and I'll send you the mirror" oh well I guess you live and you learn
Old September 7th, 2021, 07:58 PM

Originally Posted by 4speed455
That one is correct. You might want to do some research, I know the 70 only repro mirrors have issues with paint not wanting to stick. I’m not sure if these have the same issue though.
Thank you I'll look into that
Old September 8th, 2021, 03:20 PM
72 Olds CS

Originally Posted by Dans72
Yes you are correct I was going to toss the shell in the trash and when I told him it was different and asked him why he said it was for 72 cutlass he said "I was told it was and it came with my 72 cutlass" so maybe he's telling the truth? I I'm just not sure what I should do 😔 probably lose this one since it was one of those " here's my PayPal account send the money here and I'll send you the mirror" oh well I guess you live and you learn

All well n good its possibly ignorance on the sellers part, still The seller should make good, IMHO.

I once sold an MC part i thought fit certain models. The buyer received the part and informed i was incorrect and showed me why. I was wrong i refunded the buyers money and payed for shipping back to me.

IMO your seller should do the same.

Granted its not a large amount in the grand scheme of things but in general everyone on here is on the up and up and Im certain most here would do what i stated.

There is also a buyer seller feedback thread.
Old September 8th, 2021, 03:34 PM

Thanks retroranger I was going to if only I hadn't pried the mirror off and cracked it.. It came in where I work and I got excited and was gonna pull it apart to use the guts and scrap the rest but in pulling it apart I cracked the Glass and didn't care because I was gonna use my glass but when I bought it home I saw it wasn't the same as my original and wam!! My inner consciousness said " I told you you should have waited till you got home". So you live and you learn. What I'll probably do it paint it buy a new glass and sell it on eBay when I get the time but first I have to make sure I can figure out what exactly it came off of year make and model.
Old September 8th, 2021, 05:14 PM
72 Olds CS

ah that stinks

I think 4speed has it right later 70’s early 80’s cutlass mirror.
Old September 8th, 2021, 05:41 PM

OK I'll look into it a bit more Thank you