Original paint, Aegean Aqua Iridescent?

Search this Thread

Old August 9th, 2022, 10:18 PM

Original paint, Aegean Aqua Iridescent?

I have removed the left quarter trim panels to work on the power window. Removing the access/detent plug, has revealed this color. The car has been repainted a rally red, much to my dismay. The trim tag shows a special order paint, with two dashes for the paint color. I understand the special order colors to 1970 Cutlass/442 are: Rally Red, Aegean Aqua Iridescent, Nugget Gold Iridescent, Sebring Yellow. What do you think I have?
Thanks,

Cowl tag Can anyone tell me the TR code?

Found under the access/detent plastic cover under the left quarter trim panel.
After removing the trim panel, I need to know what to make of this discovery. My car has been repainted Rally Red, which I hate. As I understand, the dashes for the paint code are special order: Rally Red, Aegean Aqua Iridescent, Nugget Gold Iridescent, Sebring Yellow. '70 442 convertible
Old August 10th, 2022, 02:34 AM
Lansing built

Looks like Aegean aqua to me. Another "Z" code on the trim tag, nobody has been able to pin that down on the meaning.

Pat
Old August 10th, 2022, 05:47 AM

Agree, Aegean Aqua. One of the prettiest '70 colors in my opinion. Especially with your Ivory (977) interior. White stripes of course.
Old August 10th, 2022, 09:10 AM
Olds Fanatic

Totally agree with BeenThere, one of my favorite colors on any car. Here is a 1/18th...

Old August 10th, 2022, 11:29 AM

Saw this pair at the 2016 Homecoming. Stunning in person.
Old August 10th, 2022, 01:04 PM

Now my dilemma: Re-paint with Aegeon Aqua?

Thanks to all for your replies. I knew going into this buy the color (Rally Red) was not to my liking, and that it was a W-30 clone, but all the dirty work, e.g. rebuilt engine, tranny, new quarters, etc. was done. I was searching forever for a blue, any blue daily driver convertible, white interior, automatic. All I cared about was that it is a true 442 convert. based on the VIN and trim tag. Now that I know it's true color, and it's a beaut, do I spend the bucks for a re-paint or suck it up and be happy with the Rally Red? I have no clue on pricing a re-paint. If doing so, I would definitely remove the W-30 emblems, replace the red fender wells with black, and call it a day. The car drives like a dream, and I have put 800 miles on it since April. Thoughts?
Old August 10th, 2022, 02:08 PM

Originally Posted by 69 Hurst
Totally agree with BeenThere, one of my favorite colors on any car. Here is a 1/18th...

I think this is actually Reef Turquoise. Though beautiful, not quite Aqua. (I have this model as well)😄
Old August 10th, 2022, 03:15 PM

Reef Turquoise would not have a dash-dash paint code. I think it was code 34.
Old August 10th, 2022, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by BeenThere
Reef Turquoise would not have a dash-dash paint code. I think it was code 34.
Correct!
Old August 11th, 2022, 05:42 AM
Olds Fanatic

Originally Posted by Funkwagon455
I think this is actually Reef Turquoise. Though beautiful, not quite Aqua. (I have this model as well)😄
OOPS! You're right!
Old August 11th, 2022, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by Moegs
....... Now that I know it's true color, and it's a beaut, do I spend the bucks for a re-paint or suck it up and be happy with the Rally Red? I have no clue on pricing a re-paint. If doing so, I would definitely remove the W-30 emblems, replace the red fender wells with black, and call it a day. .... Thoughts?
Only you can decide which you would rather have... correct paint or a stack of frog skins. If you are totally dependent on outsourcing the labor, you will likely find this job will cost more than you think. Color change paint jobs done correctly involve a lot of effort . There is always the risk that you might uncover some shoddy body work under the paint turning a moderate task into a nightmare.

Red is a pretty common color, Aqua not so much. My preference would also be the Aqua, but it's your money.

Good Luck either way,
tc
Old August 11th, 2022, 09:39 AM

Now that I know it's true color, and it's a beaut, do I spend the bucks for a re-paint or suck it up and be happy with the Rally Red? I have no clue on pricing a re-paint. If doing so, I would definitely remove the W-30 emblems, replace the red fender wells with black, and call it a day. The car drives like a dream, and I have put 800 miles on it since April. Thoughts?
In '67 Old's color code "K", "Aquamarine", on my car was very close to Aegean Aqua I believe.

I love the color, and I always get a bunch of compliments from spectators when I have it out at events.

With that said, if the car looks pretty decent already, I would think of driving it "as is" for a little while. If you plan on getting it out and driving it a bunch, it's going to get chips and blemishes. Plus, the price of paint is sky high right now. Getting some quotes from a couple of reputable restoration shops for what a re-paint would cost right now might make up your mind for you. As others have mentioned, the cost of a quality repaint is probably going to be much more than you think if it's done right! Best of luck on your decision, and if you do decide to have it re-painted, please post some before/after pics for us.
Old August 11th, 2022, 12:18 PM

Thanks, I'll need it.
Old August 11th, 2022, 12:21 PM

Thanks, Dream! That is one cool '67. Reminds me of our family Cutlass 4-door that my Dad bought new.
Old August 11th, 2022, 12:29 PM

Thanks, Dream! That is one cool '67. Reminds me of our family Cutlass 4-door that my Dad bought new.
You're welcome, and thanks for the compliment on my car! I look forward to hearing what you decide to do with your car.
Old August 11th, 2022, 01:05 PM
Rocket Renegade!

All I cared about was that it is a true 442 convert. based on the VIN and trim tag. Now that I know it's true color, and it's a beaut, do I spend the bucks for a re-paint or suck it up and be happy with the Rally Red?
I don't think anyone here can decide that for you. We don't know how much the Rally Red bugs you or how much you really like the Aegean Aqua. The fact that a good paint job will likely cost upward of $12K these days (depending on how much of the prep work you're willing to do) may help you make up your mind, though.

At least with that paint code the Rally Red is technically "correct".

Last edited by BangScreech4-4-2; August 11th, 2022 at 01:07 PM.
Old August 11th, 2022, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by BangScreech4-4-2
At least with that paint code the Rally Red is technically "correct".
knowing it is wrong - makes it wrong (similar to a lie is a lie, even if you don't get caught)