Urethane bumpers

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2024, 07:43 AM

Urethane bumpers

What are you guys using to recreate the urethane? I sent the front bumper out to be straightened and the shop that did it took the bumper down to bare metal in some spots. At first I was gonna try por 15 2k urethane, but now I知 leaning towards powder coat. I want something durable for the two stage paint I plan on spraying on top of it to match the car. Im just not too sure on which way to go.

Last edited by Sidewalksurfer; March 6th, 2024 at 10:20 AM.
Old March 6th, 2024, 07:48 AM

What car, a 68-72 Cutlass I @$$ume?

If you want a monochrome look I'd use the same paint that's on the car. Be aware that not all paints are UV resistant.
Old March 6th, 2024, 09:08 AM

Originally Posted by Olds64
What car, a 68-72 Cutlass I @$$ume?

If you want a monochrome look I'd use the same paint that's on the car. Be aware that not all paints are UV resistant.
yeah it痴 a rallye. I just want something that looks close to original. The cars gonna be inside so I知 not to worried about spraying it with a two stage paint
Old March 6th, 2024, 06:56 PM

what about rocker schutz that stuff they used in the 80's on lower rocker panels to prevent rock chips,iit can be thinned but i don't know if it will lay out smooth enough.
Old March 6th, 2024, 07:35 PM

I assume you will paint final color with a urethane top coat. For solid colors I like a single stage urethane because you don't have to spray a clear coat. and I think is easier to blend-in new paint when chips, etc later happen..

I have found Southern Polyurethanes epoxy primer to work great , seems durable, and is a bargain.. Shot PPG topcoats over it. as well as primer surfacers.

https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/epoxy-primer

Powder coat sounds durable but not sure if you are using it as a primer, and not a final color which would be hard to match with powder coat paints. I also don't know how well a urethane top coat would stick to a powder coat.........

Fred

Old March 7th, 2024, 08:27 AM

Originally Posted by FStanley
I assume you will paint final color with a urethane top coat. For solid colors I like a single stage urethane because you don't have to spray a clear coat. and I think is easier to blend-in new paint when chips, etc later happen..

I have found Southern Polyurethanes epoxy primer to work great , seems durable, and is a bargain.. Shot PPG topcoats over it. as well as primer surfacers.

https://www.southernpolyurethanes.com/epoxy-primer

Powder coat sounds durable but not sure if you are using it as a primer, and not a final color which would be hard to match with powder coat paints. I also don't know how well a urethane top coat would stick to a powder coat.........

Fred
that痴 pretty much all I知 using the powder coat is for primer.
Old March 7th, 2024, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by Sidewalksurfer
What are you guys using to recreate the urethane? I sent the front bumper out to be straightened and the shop that did it took the bumper down to bare metal in some spots. At first I was gonna try por 15 2k urethane, but now I知 leaning towards powder coat. I want something durable for the two stage paint I plan on spraying on top of it to match the car. Im just not too sure on which way to go.
I am restoring a Rallye also. I am using house of color KD3003 under everything. It is already yellow, so if you get a chip it will not show a different color. DTM and can be reduced to use as a sealer as well. Nice stuff to work with too, it sand nice, lays out good and seems to self level when it dries.

Pat
Old March 7th, 2024, 03:30 PM

I did a few rallys this way. Take down to bare metal. Here is the trick, grind/sand down the sharp/rough/pronounced edges. Basically smoothing/softening things out. Keeping in mind you are trying to duplicate what the urathane coating looks like from OEM. It almost looks like it is coated in plastic. By softening the edges it gives that look of an actual coating. Then prime prep etc as you normally would and just as important as the previous process paint in a single stage yellow. If you are really crazy about contrast. Paint the body in base clear and single stage the bumpers. This worked good for me

BTW paint will not stick well over powder coat. Been there done that.

Last edited by 68442; March 7th, 2024 at 03:33 PM.