Vista Cruiser Tailgate Glass Sash and Water Deflector

Search this Thread

Old September 13th, 2023, 10:15 AM

Vista Cruiser Tailgate Glass Sash and Water Deflector

Hi all, my (generally) pristine Vista Cruiser has developed rust along the lower edge of the tailgate, and the rear window won't raise fully. I have just removed the tailgate inner rear panel, and see that the tailgate glass sash has disintegrated. So I will need to replace it, and the sash liner too. Does anyone have a spare for sale, or ideas on where I could find one? I think all '68-'72 A body wagons will interchange for this part, I don't know about other GM wagons. Also I should change the water deflector; what material is best to use? And finally, how should I stop the rust problem recurring? As far as I can see the drain holes aren't blocked, but moisture has obviously been trapped in the bottom of the tailgate. Thanks for any help! Robert Green
Old September 13th, 2023, 01:44 PM
Past Administrator

I have a '68 Vista for parts that I could check for you. If you read my thread about the rust on my '72 Vista you will see that our longroofs have lots of troubles related to moisture and the rust that it causes. I am going to use a rust converter product that I purchased from POR 15. After removing all the loose rust with a wire brush and cleaning/degreasing it you just paint it on. I expect it will work as I have used their products before and they work well. Back to the parts car, it may take me some time to get to it as we have just started getting rain after a looooong hot/dry spell and the car is parked outside albeit under an awning.
Old September 13th, 2023, 02:12 PM
Past Administrator

just took some pictures because it wasn't raining. Hope this helps and is what you need.

I took those pictrues from the inside of the car with the window (mostly) up and the inner panels removed, viewing up toward what I think is the bottom of the window and the sash.
Old September 14th, 2023, 03:04 PM

Many thanks Dan, much appreciate you getting out to look at your parts car so quickly! I am 95% sure those pics are of the right component. It's late here now but I'll try to get a couple of pics from my side to confirm.

I should have mentioned in my post that I am located in the UK - hope that won't be a problem.

Robert
Old September 15th, 2023, 07:47 AM

I had to replace my sash channel that attaches to the bottom of the window because it rotted out too. I could not find a replacement for the life of me, as I'm sure you've found. I ended up getting some universal stainless sash channel and liner, cutting the tabs/brackets off the old one, and welding them on. Works like a charm. I don't remember the exact source, but it was a specialty classic shop in the PNW if I recall correctly.

As for the existing rust, I would recommend cleaning up the loose scale, using a converter product to eliminate any remaining rust (there's lots of ones out there, POR-15 is a type, but I like naval jelly as a converter), and hitting it with some sort of protectant like an undercoating, epoxy or rust preventer. I like the Eastwood undercoating personally. You can brush it on or spray it.
Old September 15th, 2023, 04:27 PM

Many thanks!
Old September 15th, 2023, 06:33 PM
Gary

Robert, a good source for many Vista-specific parts is einstyn.com. This business is devoted to the Chevelle wagons, so not everything interchanges, just be judicious when ordering. He does not have sashes, however.

This is a small business run by Pete Lohr. The parts I've gotten from him are well-made and indistinguishable from original.

From my contact with him, I don't think he would have a problem sending parts out of the country.

Gary
Old September 16th, 2023, 06:07 AM
Past Administrator

Robert, if you are willing to pay shipping, do not go with another route, and wish me to look further into this let me know. Since you have "been there, done that" concerning removal of parts maybe you could give me some hints if we do go this route.

Dan
Old September 27th, 2023, 04:07 PM

'72 Vista Cruiser Tailgate Window Asas

Part 12 in the tailgate parts illustration, part of the sash has come away with it.

Hi Dan, I'm sorry to have gone quiet, but have had family events to distract me! Yes I am interested and shipping costs are a given. The sash is part 11 in the attached parts illustration. However I haven't yet had the window out; a visual through the inspection panel openings was enough to show me what the problem was. As you see, the sash has disintegrated to the point that one of the bars bolted to it, and attached to the regulator arms, has come away! I will need to get the car to a suitable place to remove the window; I have the Fisher Body Manual but it looks like an operation that will require some care. If your tailgate is suffering from rot, the sash might be in poor condition too, but hopefully you would be able to check that before removal. The sash will also need a liner, but those are available quite readily I think. Do you want to wait before I have the tailgate window out? Robert
Attached Files
Old September 27th, 2023, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by VC455
Robert, a good source for many Vista-specific parts is einstyn.com. This business is devoted to the Chevelle wagons, so not everything interchanges, just be judicious when ordering. He does not have sashes, however.

This is a small business run by Pete Lohr. The parts I've gotten from him are well-made and indistinguishable from original.

From my contact with him, I don't think he would have a problem sending parts out of the country.

Gary
Thanks Gary, I saw the site but it's really good to have a reference. I think he may have sat liners, which I will also need - if so I'll give him a try.

That's a cool Vista Cruiser you have!

Robert
Old September 28th, 2023, 07:41 AM
Past Administrator

I got it

Is this it? Don't know about the deflector but this is the sash and the two connecting bars. If you want it send me your shipping address and I will find out how much shipping would be.
Old September 28th, 2023, 07:52 AM

Hope you guys can make a deal
Old September 28th, 2023, 08:25 AM

That's it Dan! How much are you looking for? My address is: Robert Green, 6 Thames Reach, 80 Rainville Rd, London, W6 9HS, United Kingdom.

My question about the water deflector was only what material to use when replacing the existing paper based one. Most of the original has survived so I can use that as a template.

Thanks! Robert
Old September 28th, 2023, 10:25 AM
Past Administrator

Oh I don't know, $100.00 US plus shipping. I am going out now to do some errands and will check on shipping.