Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible Windshield Reveal Moldings

Search this Thread

Old September 11th, 2012, 09:41 PM

1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible Windshield Reveal Moldings

Hi all,

Been working on the car tonight and removing/cataloging parts and fasteners. Tonight I removed the windshield reveal moldings (side and top) of my convertible.

From everything I've read about the side moldings in the Fisher Body Service Manual, section "16 Exterior Molding", the reveal molding should be attached to the body with weld-on studs and clips.

However, after buying a tool to remove the clips and playing with the molding for an hour or so, I finally found that my vehicle does not have weld-on studs or clips to hold it in place. See... no weld-on studs on A-pillar.IMG_1853.JPG IMG_1855.JPG

Instead, the reveal molding is secured to the A-pillar with 3 screwsIMG_1862a.jpg, which were hidden by another piece of molding (the one that the driver door window contacts when the driver door is closed)IMG_1866.JPG. The three screws that secure this molding to the A-pillar are hidden beneath the driver-side window rubber weather stripping.

Are all (at least 1972) convertibles are like this? I had expected to need to remove these moldings using this special tool and unfastening clips, but instead can remove these side moldings (not sure of molding along the top of the windshield) with a phillips head screwdriver.

Oh, there was also this grey clay/putty type material beneath the molding... is that normal? There was a whole bunch along the entire molding, I didn't expect to see that (or that after 40 years would still be pliable and in good condition).

Thanks.

Steve
Old September 11th, 2012, 10:09 PM

The ones I have seen are like yours with the screws. Make sure you use those flat screws when reassembling. Someone previously replaced one of those, on our '72 convert, with a regular phillips screw and it chipped the window when the door closed on it.
Old September 12th, 2012, 04:29 AM

All the 68-72 convertible A Body A pillar moldings are installed the way yours are. However the upper molding above the windshield is installed with clips secured to welded studs. Removing that upper molding should have required the use of the tool that will grab the clip and release it from the molding.
Brian
Old September 12th, 2012, 09:11 AM

Musicars, I will definitely use the right fasteners when reinstalling would hate to cause damage to my windows.

Brian, thanks for confirming the weld-on studs and clips are on the top molding I will not waste time looking for screws under weather stripping but will use the removal tool instead. I had taken some pics of a hardtop which had the weld-on studs for the side molding this weekend and assumed they were identical on the vert.

Steve
Old September 12th, 2012, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Hawk1061
Musicars, I will definitely use the right fasteners when reinstalling would hate to cause damage to my windows.

Brian, thanks for confirming the weld-on studs and clips are on the top molding I will not waste time looking for screws under weather stripping but will use the removal tool instead. I had taken some pics of a hardtop which had the weld-on studs for the side molding this weekend and assumed they were identical on the vert.

Steve
Steve, yes, all non conv cars did gets the stud for the side windshield moldings but the conv set up does not use them. If you haven't removed a molding with the tool, just remember that you do NOT want to pry up on the tool to help remove the molding. If you do, there is a good chance you could crack the windshield. Instead, keep the tool flat to the glass and just rotate it as necessary to grab onto the clip and release it from the molding. If you need to see where the clips are, try slipping something thin between the molding and glass, like a body filler spreader and shine a light under the molding. Take you time and it will come off.
Brian