Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Cold Case Radiator installation 71 CS

Search this Thread

Old January 6th, 2024, 08:33 AM

Cold Case Radiator installation 71 CS

Hello everyone!

i hope this is the right forum for my Radiator-Topic.

My car is a 71 Cutlass S with the factory 3-core Radiator, since it was (deleted) a AC car. Never had any cooling issues with the stock 3-core radiator, but unfortunately after 8 years i have the car, it started leaking. Done some research about replacing the core, but its not worth it here in Europe. Way too expensive.

So, i purchased a Cold Case Aluminium 2 Core Radiator like some people here recommended.

Also, purchased 4 pieces 4-row Radiator saddles from Fusick, because the 3 rows are too narrow for the cold case radiator.

Ive saw some pictures here, where a 3-row top plate is modified to a 4-row and i decides to go that way:

I will spot-weld the saddles to the stock 3 row top plate, mimicking a 4 row top plate (not welded yet).

Lower 3row saddles are already out, radiator is now test-fit standing on the (also still loose) new 4 row saddles in the core support.

I have a few questiona about positioning everything. Because when i look at pictures of stockish 4-Row top plates, it seems that the saddles are positioned way closer to the engine side as i have it now test fitted. But if i would place them like that, there would be no space anymore for the fan shroud between the lower mounting tabs and the radiator (since its core is wider than the stock 3 row was).

How is the fan shroud mounted on the core support on 4-row radiator cars in 71? Do i have to place the tabs closer to the engine?

Old January 6th, 2024, 08:51 AM

Not sure…..

I also used a cold case and it fit great I did however buy a 4 core top plate and the bottom saddles from the parts place everything fit fine I took some pictures if it helps my car is a 69 btw

Old January 6th, 2024, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
I also used a cold case and it fit great I did however buy a 4 core top plate and the bottom saddles from the parts place everything fit fine I took some pictures if it helps my car is a 69 btw

Thanks for your help and pictures! Looks like a clean installation!
is this a stock 4-row top plate or self-made like mine?

Thats what i meant, the saddles on the top plate are going more backwards than in my test-fitting.

I placed it like this and made some more pictures:

In the first picture, you can see the 'gap' between the radiator and the shroud mounting tab. Its now to narrow to place the shroud between the radiator and tab. Maybe the shroud mounting style is different on a 69? I also think that i have to drill the second slot holes (more towards the engine) in the top plate. Mine only has 2 slot holes for the top shroud mounting and nearly all 4-top plates have 4.

Is it normal that the radiator sits in a slight angle backwards (top leaning to the engine)? Or should the radiator sit vertical like the core support? If i would set it dead vertical to the core support, there would be absolutely no space for the shroud between its mounting tab and the radiator.

Heres a picture of the lower shroud mounting points where its able to see how much space is needed between Tab and Radiator:

Maybe some people who did this conversion on a 71-72 or have a stock 4-row radiator 71-72 car can chime in. I will also check my 71 CSM if theres some information of maybe some differences in shrouds/mounting style on 4-row radiator cars.