Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Glasstek OAI hood?

Search this Thread

Old July 14th, 2010, 02:35 PM
1970 442

Glasstek OAI hood?

Is the Glasstek OAI hood a quality hood?
Old July 14th, 2010, 03:01 PM

i dont know who makes glasstek but i bought a tamraz steel frame oai on ebay and it didnt fit right i ended up selling it for half price, i learned my lesson ive been loking an dlooking for a real 1 for a while
Old July 14th, 2010, 04:30 PM
I bleed Oldsmobile

I have a glasstek hood............For the money I think there a good deal.....If your looking for a nuts on hood for a $30k show car keep looking..............Jerr
Old July 14th, 2010, 05:47 PM

Mine is a glasstec. Fit's okay for a driver. They do need work before paint. Overall for the price, it's fine.
Old July 14th, 2010, 06:31 PM

dont know who makes glasstek but i bought a tamraz steel frame oai on ebay and it didnt fit right i ended up selling it for half price, i learned my lesson ive been loking an dlooking for a real 1 for a while
What exactly do you mean when you said "it didn't fit right?" What parts of the hood did not fit right?...back didn't fit?...front didn't fit? Tell more...
Old July 15th, 2010, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by nelsontj
What exactly do you mean when you said "it didn't fit right?" What parts of the hood did not fit right?...back didn't fit?...front didn't fit? Tell more...
the side of the hood 2 fender gap was perfect on both sides BUT the hood was a half inch higher than the fender in the back, than a half inch lower than the fender, than another half inch higher than the fender, than half inch lower than fender agian, it was like a wave, up and down and up and down, im a body/painter i beat it and beat it and i got it very close but everytime i opened the hood i could see the dents on the frame i was not happy with it at all!!!!!!!!!!!!! i could of grinded,bondod and worked the hood till it was very nice but it would of took alot of work!! when i sold it it was even with the fender but still needed alot of work 2 be presentable on any 70 olds!!!!
Old July 15th, 2010, 08:18 PM
One of None W-31

Besides Thornton hoods or NOS, is there a better hood than Glasstek? The Parts Place advertises a NEW HOOD that has been re-tooled to fit better than the previous hoods they have produced. Is this just hype or has anyone tried the "New" OAI hood from Parts Place?
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:24 AM
Registered

Why not just get the Thornton hood?
By the time the bodyshop puts a few days of extras labor in to make a cheap one fit you probably aren't really talking that much price difference. Then you got something good instead of something forced to fit and never really right, you get what you pay for.
I personally think the flat hood is very nice with the twin sculpted bulges going back from the grill openings.

Here's another option.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/sat/pts/1841703173.html

I would install them on my roof.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
hood.jpg (6.5 KB, 49 views)
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:46 AM

I ordered a Parts Place hood for my71 vista and the fit was marginal but the sharpness of all the angles and corners made the look hood very cheap. I ended up finding a rust free frame but slightly damaged original hood for $2300.00. The fit and attention to 'detail' is so much better on the OE hood. By the way at Goodguys last week it was easy to spot an aftermarket hood .
Old July 16th, 2010, 04:53 AM

The Thornton hoods are the closest thing you are going to get to a GM hood.You must also remember that the original hoods also had to be tweaked when they installed them on the cars during assembly.I often wonder if that is why some of the real nice hoods/cars have minor stress cracks.they could have possibly started way back when the car was built,& over the years,opened up.
The hood on my 72 is a Glasstek from the mid-1990's.I had it in my 71 before settling on the 72.It fit both cars very well,but I also wonder if I got lucky.I've seen hood from other companies that fit horrible,& even some other Glasstek hood that didn't fit like mine.I went with the Glasstek for this car because I was not concerned with originality,& it is about 40lbs lighter. I put all OEM hoods on any 442,W30,W31 car that I do.
Old July 16th, 2010, 08:55 AM

Hi Brian,

I am looking for a piece of screen for my W25 hood, do you have any old pieces laying around I could buy from you? I need a 4/4 inch piece to patch in. Also I found the drums you inquired about. Give me a call.

Thanks,
Karl