Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

help - Removing/Installing windshield and rear window

Search this Thread

Old March 11th, 2013, 12:11 PM

help - Removing/Installing windshield and rear window

Hello All,

I am in the process of restoring a 1964 oldsmobile 98. It has a little rust in the corners of teh front and rear winshield trim. A friend of mine has a body shop and he will be doing all the painting for me and is giving me a great price, but he expects me to take the car ready to be worked on, that meanse:

- removing all chrome pieces
- removing front and rear glass so he can work those edges.

I am unable to find any good (illustrative) literature on how to remove the chrome edges that go around the windhsield as well as the windshield itself.

Any help you can provide on how to remove the chrome trim and glass would be great.
Old March 12th, 2013, 04:50 PM
Banned

trim removal

Originally Posted by fv64olds98
Hello All,

I am in the process of restoring a 1964 oldsmobile 98. It has a little rust in the corners of teh front and rear winshield trim. A friend of mine has a body shop and he will be doing all the painting for me and is giving me a great price, but he expects me to take the car ready to be worked on, that meanse:

- removing all chrome pieces
- removing front and rear glass so he can work those edges.

I am unable to find any good (illustrative) literature on how to remove the chrome edges that go around the windhsield as well as the windshield itself.

not sure on how yours are attached, but most cars have spring clips that are mounted to the window channel holding the window moldings on. If your plan is to remove them without damage your best bet is buying one of the removal tools. It basically slides along the glass on rubber pads with two hook type shapes on each end...something like knife blade with curved ends and a handle in the middle. It allows you to gently lift up and release the clips by sliding under the trim. There probably 20 or so around the glass, so you just slide the blade till you find one fell the clip with the tip and slightly twist to release.

Any help you can provide on how to remove the chrome trim and glass would be great.