Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Identifying bad body parts

Search this Thread

Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:21 AM

Identifying bad body parts

Hey guys,
I'm getting ready to hand off my 70 Supreme to the paint shop next month and I'm trying to get a idea on what I should replace or what I should just let them touch up (metal or light filler) I "think" my fenders are ok, I have one door that has "filler up the sky" lol thinking about getting skins for both. And I have a Fender I know has been filled out so i want to get a skin for that.

What are some of the checks I can do to before hand to rule out some necessary purchases or something a skim coat of filler would fix. Bad thing about my car is that it was repainted at some point and I know the guy didn't replace things and did a lot of filler work

Any tips would be appreciated if pics needed I could upload.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 11:59 AM

The only to way to really know for sure how much filler is in the body is gonna be to sand it all down to metal. The fenders you can check fairly easily though. Just take them off and look at the back side. If you see any dents or damage on the back that isnt visible on the outside you know that there is filler there.
Old January 23rd, 2013, 12:43 PM
jfb

dude use a magnet if there is body filler there it will not stick to it or get a filler depth gauge at a auto paint store. I would also caution myself for rust issues if any rust is present sometimes replacement is cheaper then having it fixed right. I would also say because i have done this kind of work for almost 20 years that maybe you should look into a autobody course near you and really apply yourself there to learn it,this is much cheaper period then having it done and maybe you can partner a decent cheap paint job there also.