Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Liquid Bondo

Search this Thread

Old October 31st, 2009, 02:48 PM

Liquid Bondo

Do some of you folks use liquid bondo (liquid polyester sprayable filler)? I am doing a bit of paint and body work on a few cars. We can get them real straight. I have not been spraying this liquid filler but I would if that is the wise thing to do. How many coats are normally sprayed? Thanks for any advice.
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:20 PM

we use it all the time. i know there's quite a few companies out there that have their own version of sprayable filler. we use z-chrome. 3 coats should be more than enough to block your panels nice and straight.
Old November 1st, 2009, 04:41 PM
Registered Luser

Yes...I use and like!!!!Spies Hecker 3508 Sprayable Polyester. See it on my major build thread '70 Vista Cruiser Project....
Old November 2nd, 2009, 12:47 AM
Registered

I've never used it but lead is new school to me.
Does it eliminate blocking for low spots and spot filling/glazing forever?
My right shoulder is blown out and I can't take it no mo'.
I guess I could switch hands and get a few miles out of the other side before I'm totally shot.

Why do you always prefer and recommend Spies Hecker products Erik?
Old November 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Bluevista
...Does it eliminate blocking for low spots and spot filling/glazing forever? ...

Why do you always prefer and recommend Spies Hecker products Erik?
Yes, but it still needs to be blocked! I've had shops in San Antonio, and here in NY use it over hail damaged panels and it saved a lot of work, and in most cases, saved replacing panels. A must for restorers doing big, long, slab sided cars. Also huge plus for corvette restorers! Alan, lets just say it helps feed my kids!
Old November 3rd, 2009, 03:47 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ent72olds
Yes, but it still needs to be blocked! I've had shops in San Antonio, and here in NY use it over hail damaged panels and it saved a lot of work, and in most cases, saved replacing panels. A must for restorers doing big, long, slab sided cars. Also huge plus for corvette restorers! Alan, lets just say it helps feed my kids!
I know Spies Hecker is good stuff and it should be recommended for any quality job, the best.
Keep those kids eating Erik. It's too bad they have to eat, you would save a lot of money if they didn't, just wait until they get big.

You still have to sand that spray filler? I thought that stuff smoothed automatically and self leveled.

My brother bought a hail damaged car and he took it to one of those dent removal places and you really couldn't tell where the dents were when they finished, amazed me.

I want my car the original color so my paint guy wants to have it matched using a Spies Hecker device. I stood there and shook my head up and down when he was telling me but I have no idea what he was talking about. He wants to use DuPont paint though.
Old November 3rd, 2009, 06:35 PM
Registered Luser

Originally Posted by Bluevista

...You still have to sand that spray filler? I thought that stuff smoothed automatically and self leveled....
It does self level. But it can't tell the difference between straight metal and a ding or wave!

...My brother bought a hail damaged car and he took it to one of those dent removal places and you really couldn't tell where the dents were when they finished, amazed me...
Some of those guys do some amazing work!

...I want my car the original color so my paint guy wants to have it matched using a Spies Hecker device. I stood there and shook my head up and down when he was telling me but I have no idea what he was talking about. He wants to use DuPont paint though...Spies Hecker and Dupont use the same camera! Works fairly well with obtaining matches! Dupont is not a bad product...when you find out exactly what he will paint the car in, let me know and I can tell you some background and make any suggestions.
Old November 5th, 2009, 04:24 PM

I sprayed this stuff this pm. I ended up using my Sata primer gun that has a 1.7 tip. It seemed to spray pretty good. I used a fast urethane reducer and cut it about 5-10%. It took 3/4 gallon to spray two pretty heavy coats (on a '67 SS Chevelle). I will sand on Fri. Thanks for the help.