Body work All body work discussion including vinyl tops

Molding Repair

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2024, 01:26 PM

Molding Repair

On removing my lower rear wheel molding on my 1969 Supreme Holiday Sedan, I managed to break the peg off. The chrome is in brand new condition so I am worried about maybe destroying it with heat from a propane torch. Has anyone soldered the peg back on before without destroying the chrome or molding? How else can I repair this piece? Also as you can see this is not your typical trim that uses a speed nut, but has some type of locking tang inside the blind cavity before my rear wheel which can not be accessed without cutting a hole into the well or body itself. Can anyone tell me how this clip system works in order to remove this trim.

Thanks,
Noel
Old April 10th, 2024, 05:38 AM

3M panel bond adhesive. Looks like JB Weld but more expensive. Any body shop that repairs new vehicles will have it or an equivalent brand. You need a special cartridge dispenser though. If you purchase a tube you can insert a dowel into the back and push both parts on some cardboard and mix it with a putty knife. You will use it on other parts that need repairs
Dustin