disc brakes conversion

Search this Thread

Old February 4th, 2012, 01:54 PM

Red face disc brakes conversion

Where can i get a disc brakes conversion for a 1966 Oldsmobile 98??
Old February 5th, 2012, 06:44 AM

I got mine for my 55 88 from Scarebird.
http://scarebird.com/index.php?id=1
They should have the mounts you need and you use your spindals and parts from your local supply house to finish it.
Old February 5th, 2012, 08:31 AM

What's your opinion of scarebird? Did it change the geometry of the front suspension? Did you need to get different wheels for offset of the calipers?
Old February 5th, 2012, 08:39 AM

Here is there link http://www.scarebird.com/

I installed both the front and the rear disc brake kits on my 57. Install was trouble free. Had to change out the master cylinder and brake booster but I think you will only have to change out the master cylinder to a dual disc/drum type if you install the front only and install a portioning valve for the rear drum brakes

The install had no effect on the geometry of the front end
Old February 6th, 2012, 07:05 AM

I can say nothing but good about the quality and service from Scarebird, you will get the brackets for the calipers and some bearing adaptesr and some other parts (depending on the make and model). I got my calipers, rotors, hoses and bearing from NAPA, everything was in stock when I went to get the parts I need to finish the install. The parts list had one set of bearings listed that did not fit so, Im thinking now everything is on hold until I can get this Scarebird guy to contact me with the correct bearing number. I emailed my question and in less than two hours I was back at NAPA with the right part number and ready to get back to the install. (a great guy to deal with)

The handling of the car did not change for the worse, if anything it seemed to me and a buddy who had driven my car before that it may have improved a bit. You will need to get new wheels, GM 5x5 from the late 70's to late 80's will work. I did not have to change wheels since the 5x5's are what I was already running.

There are other kits on the market and I researched most of them, I read everything I could find here and on the HAMB about disk conversion kits and based on what I learned, Scarebird was best for me.
Old February 6th, 2012, 02:14 PM

thxs guys, i'll b sure 2 check out tht site. :]
Old February 6th, 2012, 04:53 PM

Location: from Wisc, then Texas, then Kansas, now back to Texas,
just DON"T get the from SSB, (Stainless Steel Brakes ) , I got them thruo Summit, VERY poor quality control, had get the mounting brackets twice, and both sets were bent and didn't fit very well....they just said; ' sh-t happens'