Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1971 SX $1700obo

Search this Thread

Old July 11th, 2012, 01:26 PM
www.gbodyolds.com

1971 SX $1700obo

Moving next Thursday, need gone by then whether it be stripped clean and body crushed or whatever... not gonna give it away but I can't take it with me unfortunately since my garage only holds 6 cars and I have no driveway space.
I've got $1700 tied up into it...
To get it on the road it litterally needs a dash and front seat belts in the interior and an engine/trans/radiator/exhaust/accessories under the hood
Everything else is there as well as extra parts come with it.
Would make a good start for someone wanting a cheap easy driver project that's not a rot box, especially in the northern states.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/nwc/cto/3132456402.html

Last edited by 88hurstolds; July 11th, 2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:41 PM

PM sent.
Old July 11th, 2012, 05:58 PM

May I take second place in line? Brett
Old July 13th, 2012, 06:18 AM

PM sent, I'll take it sir. See PM for details.

Thanks,
Steve
Old July 13th, 2012, 12:22 PM

http://www.sx455.com/content.aspx?pa...0#!prettyPhoto[x]/0/

Bahaha, this is the first MIA 71' SX to pop up on SX455.com. I think i just solvedthat mystery haha. Its just too much coincidence "last titled in 81' in indiana" that same flat black color, the trim missing in the same places. Its a 99% match :-)
That said, i really wish i wasnt just stumbling upon this, i wouldve been first in line if i had known about it being for sale
Old July 15th, 2012, 12:43 PM
www.gbodyolds.com

Still available, $1400obo without seats and grilles, need gone ASAP or it gets scrapped.
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:02 PM

ClassicOldsmobile Members,

I am sure that what I am about to post is going to cause me to lose this car but I feel that I have to do so.

On Thursday July 12, I offered to purchase this vehicle from Mike (aka 88hurstolds). He refused so I thought the matter closed.

Friday morning at 12:19am, Mike sent me this PM:

"Re: 71 Cutlass
Steve,
Someone wants the grilles and seats.
Its yours for $1000 if still interested, I have some extra parrs to go with it, I just want ou.
Im overwhelmed with the move and dont have the time to deal with it anymore.
85 442 White/Claret
83 H/O #1608 Sand Gray, T-tops
83 H/O #727 Maple
71 SX

http://www.78-88olds.com "

To which I replied:

"My phone number is 734-xxx-xxxx. I'm at work through 4:30pm today and will be unable to talk but I will call you after work to finalize timing... Will need to be Sunday if ok with you as I have a commitment already for Saturday.

Thanks,
Steve"

Mike replied:

"Yes it can be towed that way no problem. Driveshaft is out of the car.
I am free Sunday.
847-xxx-xxxx
85 442 White/Claret
83 H/O #1608 Sand Gray, T-tops
83 H/O #727 Maple
71 SX

http://www.78-88olds.com"

So, I called Uhaul and arranged for a car dolly as well as a tow vehicle. All was set (or so I thought). I called Mike on Friday night to confirm timing but only got his voicemail. Later Friday night, he called me back and indicated he's very busy with moving and wasn't sure about Sunday because it was also his grandma's birthday in Wisconsin (in addition to all his moving). Having lost my mom to leukemia two months ago, I told him that it's more important for him to be with family and that maybe we could work out an early morning Sunday visit (told him my drive from Detroit would take about 5.5 hours one way). He said he'd call back on Saturday to make the final determination.

Mid-day Saturday he called back and said good news, his landlord said he could stay till the end of the month so there was no rush. I told him that I work during the week and can only make the 5.5 hour drive on the weekend. Mike indicated that next weekend he is rafting an unavailable (and actually I told him that I have a commitment next weekend that I have to keep).

We agreed that the following weekend (27th/28th) would work for both of us and I called Uhaul to postpone the car dolly until that time. Again, I thought all was set as I had a verbal agreement with Mike that the car would be mine to pick up in two weekends.

Today I checked my phone and saw that at 2:31pm Mike called me but did not leave a message. My iPhone also showed a new post here at ClassicOldsmobile.com in this thread. I read it and saw the above post from Mike indicating it's still available for $1400.

This surprised me so I called Mike back to find out what was going on. He indicated that he was available now if I wanted to pick up the car. I reminded him that it's a 5.5 hour one way drive for me plus I had already cancelled the tow dolly and towing vehicle from Uhaul. As they close at 2pm my time, there is no way I could get a tow vehicle today (not to mention the 11 hours plus whatever it took to hook up the vehicle to tow home) round trip I would need to make if I could obtain a tow vehicle.

Mike then informed me that if he could sell it between now and two weekends from now he would. I expressed surprise and he said his point was that holding to his verbal agreement of selling the car for $1000 to me would be like him walking down the street and just giving away $400 to a stranger.

Now, I'm sure a bunch of you will agree with Mike... why lose $400 if you don't have to. However, let me remind those who agree with him of a couple things:

1) Mike you made an agreement with me to sell the car for $1000 unconditionally... see your email above. It's unethical for you to give your word verbally and in email form, then go back on it 'if you get the opportunity'.

2) I was totally ready and able to pick up the car today but Mike cancelled with me. I could have tried forcing the issue but was willing to work around his schedule... stupid me I guess.

3) Now that he is available, there's no way I can get the tow vehicle/dollly in order to pick it up and no way for me to skip work during the week.

As I said at the beginning of the post, I'm sure that I won't be getting this car. Mike will either sell this car (even after he made an agreement with me) or be so irritated by this post that most likely will still not sell it to me even if available in two weekends.

So, I offer the following advice to whoever buys it from Mike (if they are from this website of course). Don't pay more than $1001 for the car... he was willing to sell it to me for $1000, so why should you have to pay $1400... it would be like giving a total stranger $399 that you didn't have to.

Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. I hope the car is still available in two weekends and I hope that Mike will hold to his word and sell it for $1000, but I am skeptical.

Thanks for listening to me,
Steve

Mike
Old July 15th, 2012, 02:59 PM
www.gbodyolds.com

Well you also failed to explain to the rest of the world our personal buisness what was discussed over the phone initially ON FRIDAY.
The agreement over the phone was that if someone else came forward that wanted the vehicle in the mean time that Id sell it to them since you couldnt come out for two weeks. Also, the car was also to come without a number of parts as discussed at that price over the phone from what you posted in your favor.
Youre a big frikin baby man, whine to the rest of the world and try to throw people under the bus because you cant get your way ideally.
Total bullshit man... cry because I called you this afternoon letting you know that Id be back earlier than expected. Im pretty busy, lots going on and forgot that I had a commitment this Sunday when inittally PMd but that was taken care of verbally. You seem to conveinently leave out a few details in yout favor...
How the hell do I know in two weeks time youre gonna have a change of heart and then Im SOL, think about it, happens all the time on these forums, Ive been screwed over way too many times to know better.
Look the timing wasnt right for neither of us, no need to socially cry about it... get over it man.
All said and done you knew you were lowballing me and taking advantage of someone in a desprate situation.

Last edited by 88hurstolds; July 15th, 2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old July 16th, 2012, 04:28 AM
Past Administrator

This is done guys. No more responses to each other, take to the PM. I'll keep the thread open for the sale of the car. Both of you have said your say.