Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible, Wisconsin

Search this Thread

Old October 7th, 2009, 07:48 PM
Wisconsin Member

1972 Cutlass Supreme Convertible, Wisconsin

I don't really want to sell the car, and am sure I'll regret it some day. However, in the past two years I've run less than one full tank of gas through it. Might as well let somebody else get out and enjoy it. (Plus my wife said I can buy a motorcycle after the Olds is sold! )

I'm not going to say this car is showroom condition or anything like that. It's a Wisconsin car, but hasn't seen snow for close to 20 years. Driven in rain twice in the past 10. The car was re-painted prior to our owning the car - maybe 20-25 years ago. The current paint is a bit oxidized, but not peeling or cracking. I've been told it could have a lot of gloss brought back to it without much problem, but I'm not about to put a buffer to paint - I know my limits. Convertible top works great, and the rear window is glass. There is a small 3/4" hole in the top, and the idiots who replaced the top years ago didn't replace the pads, so they look pretty crappy.

As the car sits I'd trust it to take me cross-country and back right now.

The engine is a standard 350, automatic trans. Odometer shows approx 85,000 miles. No idea if that's original or not though. The carb is a Quadrajet 4 bbl. The engine runs fine, although if it isn't run every few days it takes a little cranking to get fuel back into the carb. I've been told it's slowly leaking gas into the intake when it sits. It has also been updated to an electronic ignition.

Battery is about 1 year old. Oil change and new AC plugs done less than 300 miles ago. Tires all have plenty of tread.

Could be a pretty easy project to make a real head-turner. Just don't send me pics when it's done or I'll steal it back when you're not looking. Unless you put 20" rims and spinners on it. Then you just have your conscious to deal with.

Extra parts are available. I have a pair of doors I've been holding on to for close to 20 years. Small bits of surface rust - these were supposedly Texas doors, and they have power windows. I also have two extra pairs of grills and one center grill "T" section. Original AM/FM radio, air cleaner, distributor, and other misc pieces are also available. They'll be sold separately if the car buyer isn't interested.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to post pictures here, so here's a link to my blog which includes current pictures as well as information on some stuff which was done to the car over the past few years.

http://72cutlassconvertible.blogspot.com/

Price is $8,500, located 10 minutes west of Milwaukee, WI.

Old October 8th, 2009, 08:32 AM

cutlass

can u contact me about your car 361-765-1907
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:12 AM
Wisconsin Member

Per our conversation I'll post add the pics of the rear wheel wells today on the blog.
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM
Wisconsin Member

I forgot I set up a Photo Bucket album of pics and descriptions.

Photo Album
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:59 AM
Just an Olds Guy

Go for top dollar!

Originally Posted by Muskego Jeff
I don't really want to sell the car, and am sure I'll regret it some day. However, in the past two years I've run less than one full tank of gas through it. Might as well let somebody else get out and enjoy it. (Plus my wife said I can buy a motorcycle after the Olds is sold! )

I'm not going to say this car is showroom condition or anything like that. It's a Wisconsin car, but hasn't seen snow for close to 20 years. Driven in rain twice in the past 10. The car was re-painted prior to our owning the car - maybe 20-25 years ago. The current paint is a bit oxidized, but not peeling or cracking. I've been told it could have a lot of gloss brought back to it without much problem, but I'm not about to put a buffer to paint - I know my limits. Convertible top works great, and the rear window is glass. There is a small 3/4" hole in the top, and the idiots who replaced the top years ago didn't replace the pads, so they look pretty crappy.

As the car sits I'd trust it to take me cross-country and back right now.

The engine is a standard 350, automatic trans. Odometer shows approx 85,000 miles. No idea if that's original or not though. The carb is a Quadrajet 4 bbl. The engine runs fine, although if it isn't run every few days it takes a little cranking to get fuel back into the carb. I've been told it's slowly leaking gas into the intake when it sits. It has also been updated to an electronic ignition.

Battery is about 1 year old. Oil change and new AC plugs done less than 300 miles ago. Tires all have plenty of tread.

Could be a pretty easy project to make a real head-turner. Just don't send me pics when it's done or I'll steal it back when you're not looking. Unless you put 20" rims and spinners on it. Then you just have your conscious to deal with.

Extra parts are available. I have a pair of doors I've been holding on to for close to 20 years. Small bits of surface rust - these were supposedly Texas doors, and they have power windows. I also have two extra pairs of grills and one center grill "T" section. Original AM/FM radio, air cleaner, distributor, and other misc pieces are also available. They'll be sold separately if the car buyer isn't interested.

For the life of me I can't figure out how to post pictures here, so here's a link to my blog which includes current pictures as well as information on some stuff which was done to the car over the past few years.

http://72cutlassconvertible.blogspot.com/

Price is $8,500, located 10 minutes west of Milwaukee, WI.
I really enjoyed reading your blog. You have a really beautiful car and I can appreciate your comment about not really wanting to sell it. As it is, I hope whoever does buy it appreciates it and looks after it nicely. About polishing.....Yup, it's a fine line when it comes down to knowing how to do it. Can I make some recommendations?

You're selling and want a really good dollar for the car. A buyer will want to low ball you as much as possible to get the best deal. You can minimize the amount of haggle by getting the car detailed. It will cost a couple of hundred bucks, but it will be money well spent. When it comes back, I would strongly recommend getting a couple of cans of spray black dye. Tape off the door really well and spray the lower carpet on the panel to bring back that "new" black color it was born with. Same with the carpet, it will be clean from the detailers but faded. Take off the sill plates, but really protect agains overspray on that beautiful white interior. Spray dye is intended exactly for doing things like this. It's not pricey just time comsuming in the prep. Take a b4 and after pic. The results are stunning. ( you can also 'freshen' up the kick panels if needed ) A buyer will definitely get a WOW factor that will bring top dollar. BTW, it leaves a new paint smell for quite a while, so you'll want to air it out to minimize that. Most buyers I've dealt with actually thought it was the smell of new paint on the car!! - a good detailing job can have that effect.

In your blog, you commented about the engine compartment and accumlated gunk when you did the battery tray. Ya think a buyer isn't going to look there and get an impression? A sparkly good looking car outside and inside, but crap under the hood? That speaks volumes to the care and attention the car's recieved over its lifespan. Its worth it, trust me. Also little things like taking the air cleaner off, lightly sand down and repaint to show a fresh compartment. Get a replacement Rocket 350 decal and put it on. (see Dr. Decal on your web search engine). You'd be surprised how the eye is drawn to things that look clean and shiny...possibly distracting from other areas that may be a little tired.

If the vert top has a hole, get it repaired, if possible, so it becomes less of an issue for the buyer.

I've bought and sold quite a few cars in my life, and what I'm saying is based on experience and watching the buyer reaction. They want something either that's a really good starter project, or a turnkey car they can drive the crap out of. I hope you get your selling price; with all the extra goodies you're willing to kick in it sounds like a great deal.

Oh, btw here are the pics from your blog posted onto the site. Cheers!

100_2035.jpg?t=1255020405 101_4803.jpg?t=1255020563

101_4801.jpg?t=1255020436 101_4817.jpg?t=1255020597

101_4809.jpg?t=1255020627
Old October 8th, 2009, 12:27 PM
Wisconsin Member

Thanks for posting the pictures for me. Regarding the detailing, I wish I had the ability to do that kind of work myself, but the older I get, the less I'm able to do without regretting it the following day! I used to live for car work, fabrication, etc., but now I'm limiting my work to trying to finish renovation work on the house (which most of the proceeds of the car sale will be used for). One day of work followed by two days of back pain. When the house is done, no more projects! Until the next one...!
Old October 12th, 2009, 05:37 PM
Banned

throw it on ebay for a 10k buy it now,youll sell it
Old May 23rd, 2010, 07:29 AM
Wisconsin Member

I didn't actively do anything to sell the car over the winter, having second thoughts about it. Since originally posting this for-sale I've only driven the car around the block a few times. It's just not right to not get some use out of it so I'm looking to sell again. I hate Craigslist and E-bay so will go that route if I can't find anybody interested here. Call me for details: Jeff, 414-477-0079. Just outside of Milwaukee WI.