Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1978 Delta 88 Holiday coupe

Search this Thread

Old December 31st, 2023, 09:57 AM

1978 Delta 88 Holiday coupe

I’m selling my 1978 Delta 88 Holiday coupe I’ve owned for 5 years now. I’m the 3rd owner. Blue with light blue cloth interior, the car has 51K actual miles (documented) and is original, including paint, interior, and mechanicals. Only a few items have been changed/updated including the master cylinder, rear shocks, headliner replaced, tune-up and all hoses and vacuum lines, fan clutch, and replacement outer rear bumper fillers. I added a rear sway bar for better handling. The car was special ordered by the original owner in 1978. He opted for the 3.23 gears which got you the Y72 HD cooling package. It does NOT have A/C! It wasn’t ordered with it. The Y78 Holiday 88 package got you the bucket seats, console, sport steering wheel, and outside sport mirrors. This was the available Cutlass interior put into the base Delta 88 (not the 88 Royale) to give it a sporty look. The car runs great and is a pleasure to drive. It just kind of floats down the road. The paint and interior have some flaws but that’s to be expected from a 45-year old car. It always draws a crowd at my local car shows and has won several awards. Mileage with the 3.23s is about 10 city/16 hwy. I have some original paperwork from the previous owner including the window sticker. I have an 8 minute YouTube video of this car taken not long after I acquired it. Search for 1978 Delta 88 Holiday coupe and look for the author Mary C (my wife has the account). Here are a few photos taken today. I have more and can take more if necessary.
Asking $9,250 /BRO
Selling because I just found a 1977 Delta 88 pace car and can’t have 3 cars with a 2-car garage.

Last edited by 78Cutlass4Speed; February 18th, 2024 at 06:11 AM. Reason: changing price
Old December 31st, 2023, 01:34 PM

Cool Oldsmobile, GLWS!
Old January 1st, 2024, 05:09 AM

I have seen this Olds, it's really a fantastic car. For those of you looking for something a little bigger than a Cutlass, a smooth cruiser that probably no one else on the road will have, this is the one. These Holiday 88's are very hard to find, especially in this condition.

Good luck with the sale, Phil. Here's to hoping you won't need to use that (neatly positioned) snow thrower lurking behind your 79 H/O!

Last edited by BlueCalais79; January 1st, 2024 at 05:11 AM.
Old January 1st, 2024, 09:13 AM

This car looks terrific. Ordered just right.
Old January 1st, 2024, 09:34 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

I had a 78 Delta coupe back in the early 80's. It had the Olds 350 in it. What a great car. We made a trip in it from Dallas to California. With two teenagers, it was very comfortable. I sold it when it was just a car. Wish I had kept it.
Old January 1st, 2024, 09:42 AM
Oldsdruid

One of those has been a bucket list car for a long time. But since I completely understand having more cars than I have garage space for, I hope you find it a good home with someone who understands what it is.

I'm at a point where buying another toy would be just the down payment. Not in a position to build another car shed (as garages are called here).
Old January 1st, 2024, 09:45 AM

Thanks Gene,
I hope to not have to use the snow blower much (or at all) this season. I just dug it out a couple of weeks ago and fired it up. Still need to change the spark plug and the oil but it runs great for being a 1995 model. It does the job. This has been a very mild winter so far up here with no snow yet. Hoping it stays that way.
Speaking of my H/O, I think this is the year it gets back on the road. It's been off since June 2019. Recently I had thought about selling it, but have decided to fix the few things it needs and get it on the road again. I've had it since February 1997 and it has become part of the "family".
I'll post a few more photos of the Holiday 88 soon.
Old January 1st, 2024, 01:56 PM

What a beautiful car, love to have it, but I would cook here in the deep South. Good luck with the sale.
Old January 6th, 2024, 11:27 AM

A few more pictures.

Plastic still on rear seat from when first owner took delivery.
VERY MOTIVATED SELLER.
Car located in Massachusetts. Let’s talk.
Old January 7th, 2024, 05:12 AM

And for those of you out there may be hedging on this one since there is no power drivers seat, good news, these seats are the same as in a 1978 Cutlass Supreme. The parts for that task are readily available. I note this car has power windows and power door locks, so I'm guessing there may even be a plug under the carpeting for the power seat; it may just have all the wiring there already. If not, the wiring is also readily available. I have done this job several times, no big deal.

The carpets generally came with a T-shaped cutout for the power seat plug to go through, and the black ground wire should also be part of the harness by the plug, that needs to be bolted onto the (metal portion of the) frame of the power seat track.

Looks like you'll need that snow thrower today

Last edited by BlueCalais79; January 7th, 2024 at 05:21 AM.
Old January 7th, 2024, 06:07 AM

The car does have power windows and locks, but no power seats. It doesn't have a power trunk lock, and no cruise control either. The car was ordered with an unusual mix of options for sure. No A/C. This has been the only Delta 88 I've ever seen without it. It kind of makes the 403 look smaller in the engine bay without the compressor and all the lines, etc. A very clean and simple under hood area. A positive was that it only took me 15-20 minutes to change the valve cover gaskets to keep a small leak from getting worse. The car was not ordered with the G80 limited slip differential. That's unusual since the original owner chose the 3.23s but didn't spend the extra $60 for the posi rear.
The car has 51K miles now. It originally had 41k when I first got it. I've been averaging about 2,000 miles annually going to car shows and cruise-ins. It never goes out in the rain or snow and is always in the garage under cover when not in use. I'm not afraid to take it to any show no matter how far away including the one in September in CT sponsored by the New England Olds Club. It's a 240 mile round trip and the car makes the trip without any issues. It gets about 16-17 mpg on the trip at about 65-70 mph. I don't like to push it any faster no matter how fast the rest of the traffic is moving, since it's already turning 2800 rpm. The mini tach that sits on the console is only connected to the piece of wood and just rests on the console. It's not permanently attached and can easily be removed. The mini 3-gauge panel mounted on the bottom of the dash was put there by the original owner. Another mystery why he didn't order the factory gauge package.
Old January 7th, 2024, 06:13 AM

Yes, Gene, I'll be using the snow blower very shortly, as soon as I turn off the computer. We've gotten about 10-11 inches of snow already. Only expecting some flurries the rest of the day. Headed out now.
Old January 7th, 2024, 05:43 PM

Whats the unit on the inner fender well in front of the brake booster?
Old January 8th, 2024, 12:29 PM

It looks like it might be for cruise control (?) It was on the car when I purchased it. A previous owner might have tried to install it and never finished it. There's no wiring or inside switch for it.
Old January 8th, 2024, 01:24 PM

Since the car did not come with the G80 differential, but there is a tag on the diff cover, does that mean a posi unit was added later?
Old January 8th, 2024, 01:37 PM

No. The tag on the differential shows the code and the ratio of the rear end. I believe all B-bodies had this tag instead of the info stamped onto the axle tube. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. The posi tag would be on the cover also usually in the 5 o'clock position. This car has a 3.23 open rear end (code KG). No posi.
Old January 8th, 2024, 06:17 PM

I thought it could be a CC too but when you said it didnt have it, I was confused. Thanks
Old January 9th, 2024, 08:29 AM

I've only seen ONE '77-'90 B car, ever, in the yards without AC. In a late seventies 250 six cylinder Impala. Was going to buy the heater unit, cables, controller, etc for inventory, but passed, figured no one would have ever wanted that.
Old January 9th, 2024, 01:48 PM

This is definitely a very unusually optioned car. It's kind of like what someone might have ordered in the 60's if they were trying to make their vehicle into a street racer. It's got the biggest engine (403), the deepest gears available (3.23s), minimal amount of creature comforts (no A/C), and a sporty look (the Holiday package) with bucket seats and a console.
Old January 14th, 2024, 07:44 AM

A few more pictures…

The original cardboard inserts are still in place in the trunk under the mat. Don’t know if the spare tire and jack have ever been out of the car. The picture of the cowl tag shows the A51 code for the bucket seats. No A/C. Just the basic standard heater. The headliner was replaced right after I got the car. I dislike a sagging headliner. Two of my Cutlasses I’ve owned had the same issue.
I have receipts for all work done to the car.
Old January 14th, 2024, 07:45 AM

Sorry, the cowl tag picture is upside down. Also, the car has not been detailed yet this year. I usually do it in early spring (late April) just as the car show season is about to begin here.

Last edited by 78Cutlass4Speed; January 14th, 2024 at 07:49 AM. Reason: Forgot information
Old January 15th, 2024, 05:44 AM

That car is really cool.
Old January 15th, 2024, 06:56 AM

Old January 15th, 2024, 12:42 PM

75 W-30 H/O,
Thanks. I was about to ask my daughter about editing the picture to make it correct. Now I don't have to.
Old January 20th, 2024, 12:11 PM

A couple of more pictures…

It’s a tight fit, but the Delta and my 1979 Hurst/Olds share the garage.
Without A/C notice there is no vent in the upper left corner of the dash. There’s a block-off plate. The radio works but the clock does not. There’s a blue stain on the passenger side carpet that won’t come out. It was like that when I purchased the car. I replaced the front sway bar end links this past fall. The engine does drip a few spots of oil from the rear main seal. Changing it is not a project I can or want to do.
Message me if there are any specific questions you’d like answered.
Thanks,
Phil
Old January 20th, 2024, 03:44 PM

Just had an inquiry about the tires. They're dated 2616 (26th week of 2016) and only have 10K miles on them.
Old January 27th, 2024, 09:51 AM

Adding a few more photos…

The paint on the roof is extremely thin. The half vinyl roof is in excellent shape- no stains, rips, or tears. It is still soft. All the chrome on the car is in excellent condition, including all four of the simulated wire wheel hubcaps. No rust or pitting. There are a few minor scratches but no major road rash issues or dents. The master cylinder was replaced about two years ago along with one rear wheel brake cylinder.
Price reduced to $9,250 / BRO.

Last edited by 78Cutlass4Speed; February 18th, 2024 at 06:12 AM. Reason: changing price
Old February 3rd, 2024, 02:30 PM

More photos…

Rear view showing the trunk. Standard heater. Underside is extremely clean, only weeping a tiny amount of oil from the rear main seal. The oil is changed every spring regardless of the mileage. I average about 2,000 miles per year or less. All of the chrome on the car is in excellent shape. The car never goes out in the rain or inclement weather. Even my dog has never been for a ride in the car. Look at how sad he looks.
Old February 11th, 2024, 07:15 AM

Posting a few underside photos. Very clean and solid. No issues.

Old February 12th, 2024, 03:03 PM

This is a really nice car from a really good guy. I was looking for a 1978 Holiday 88 but unfortunately we couldn't make a deal because I wanted him to throw in the dog. No seriously though -- I live in a warm climate and would have bought teh car in a heartbeat if only it had A/C !!
Old February 14th, 2024, 12:38 PM

Nice car.

Originally Posted by 78Cutlass4Speed
It's kind of like what someone might have ordered in the 60's if they were trying to make their vehicle into a street racer. It's got the biggest engine (403), the deepest gears available (3.23s), minimal amount of creature comforts
Very cool !

A little added caveat that may or may not make much difference to some on a ride that is generally regarded as a cruiser. But your model is arguably the quickest Olds available for 1978, on paper. And that's with the factory standard 2.41 rear. Surprisingly light to me, even given the downsizing. 3800 lbs 3.23s and 320 lb ft, will definitely move... well.

P.S. you may want to expand your horizons... A similar one to yours sold on Hemmings a couple of years back for good money.

C O, is more of an A body site with next in line of popularity probably being G body's... a nice B body could get overlooked.

Mods my apologies if I overstepped on this post. But I've had this bouncing around my head for weeks. Finally posting my thoughts.
Old February 14th, 2024, 02:37 PM

The car does move very well with the 3.23 gears. It'll keep up with modern traffic in stop and go driving up to highway speeds and then the modern cars leave it in the dust. 65 mph is about 2800 rpm. I don't push it much beyond that. Gas mileage is about 10 mpg city / 16 mpg highway, for those who might be interested.
That Holiday 88 on Hemmings was a really nice car. I believe it had a motor rebuild on the 350.
Old February 18th, 2024, 06:14 AM

Price reduced to $9,250. All previous posts were changed to reflect the new price. More pictures will be posted later.
Old February 19th, 2024, 06:47 AM

What color is the headliner? It looks much darker than the interior or is it just the shadow of the photo? Thanks
Old February 19th, 2024, 01:20 PM

The headliner is light blue. It's the same color as the seats and carpet. It was redone by a local re-upholstery shop right after I purchased the car. I think it was the lighting that caused it to look darker. The factory color and material were used.
Old February 24th, 2024, 11:48 AM

I will buy the car today call me 716-507-6464 I have cash
Old February 24th, 2024, 04:09 PM

Sale Pending.
Old February 26th, 2024, 02:37 PM

A few more photos

photo 1 showing a quarter-sized area of rust on the driver’s door.
photo 2 paint is thin on top edge of driver’s door and small rust spot at the top upper right of window frame
photo 3 shows poorly fitting repro outer bumper filler(s). Will need some finessing to make them fit better
photo 4 showing very thin roof paint
photo 5 shows trunk lid and worn paint along top edge of passenger side quarter panel
photo 6 shows top of rear quarter panel extension. You can see the ghostly outline of the original dealer name plate that was on the trunk lid. Sisti Oldsmobile in Gowanda, NY (roughly 30 or so miles south of Buffalo)
Last photo shows the Holiday on the left next to the newest acquisition- my 1977 Delta 88 pace car. It’s a tight fit with 2 full-sized cars but they’re in there.
Old February 26th, 2024, 05:30 PM
Past Administrator

Hopw your sale goes well, I was reading the thread and thinking maybe I should buy it then was brought back to reality by ryanmoran58's post. All the better actually. Very nice car.
Old February 27th, 2024, 11:17 AM

Where's the 79 HO did it get bumped outside into the cold Phil.

Hope your sale went good I'm sure you will miss that one.

Quick Reply: 1978 Delta 88 Holiday coupe