Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

1986 olds ninety eight regency(rare) 2-door coupe

Search this Thread

Old February 22nd, 2014, 06:18 PM

Hi all! I have a BEAUTIFUL ALL ORIGINAL UNDER Low Mileage 99,000! 1986 OLDS NINETY EIGHT REGENCY BROUGHAM (RARE) 2 DOOR COUPE for sale here in Misssouri "The SHOW ME STATE"!

This car is like BRAND NEW! It's obvious it has been pampered all it's life!

The car recently completed a road trip to Kansas and back over Thanksgiving with NO ISSUES what so ever!

-Oil Changed every 3,000 Miles or sooner!
-New Serpentine Belt
-New AC Delco Spark Plugs
-New Spark Plug Wires
-New Fuel Filter
-New Tires HANKOOK TIRES 70,000 MILES WARRANTY!
- New Brakes
-New Muffler
-New Rear Struts/ With LIFETIME WARRANTY!

- Gently Used

Has the BULLET PROOF 3800 One of GM'S best Motors!

- Transmission Oil and Pan Filter Changed
-Recent Rust Proofing done to preserve this BEAUTIFUL CAR!
-Recent Undercoating done
- Runs Great, No Problems
-New AC Compressor with 134R
- Cold A/C and Warm Heat

This Ninety Eight is loaded with options: such as Power Disc Brakes, Power Steering, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Power Drivers Seat, Power Passenger Seat, Power Trunk Release, Remote Control Driver and Passenger side Mirrors, Deluxe Brougham Leather Interior, Tilt Wheel, Cruise Control, Rear Window Defogger, AM/FM/ ETR Cassette Stereo Radio!

All power options work as should with the exception of the power antenna.

The Leather seats in this car are like BRAND NEW!! No cracking what so ever! I have never seen leather so nice in a 25+ year old car!

-All maintenance records on file.

You may call or TEXT if interested @ 636-970-1790

St.Louis,Missouri

ASKING $4,000 OR BEST OFFER!! NEED TO SELL ASAP!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMAG0559-1.jpg (112.3 KB, 109 views)
IMAG0558.jpg (81.6 KB, 106 views)
IMAG0564-1.jpg (82.7 KB, 86 views)
IMAG0611-1.jpg (48.1 KB, 81 views)
IMAG0606.jpg (81.9 KB, 79 views)

Last edited by milesmonte; February 25th, 2014 at 04:43 PM. Reason: Wording
Old February 22nd, 2014, 06:23 PM

Interior pics:
Attached Images
IMAG0609-1.jpg (62.6 KB, 57 views)
IMAG0606.jpg (81.9 KB, 58 views)
IMAG0607.jpg (79.0 KB, 52 views)
IMAG0612.jpg (42.7 KB, 54 views)
IMAG0552.jpg (54.4 KB, 50 views)
Old February 22nd, 2014, 06:27 PM

More Pics
Attached Images
IMAG0552.jpg (54.4 KB, 46 views)
IMAG0555-1.jpg (46.6 KB, 44 views)
IMAG0553.jpg (89.3 KB, 54 views)
IMAG0556.jpg (59.4 KB, 44 views)
Old February 23rd, 2014, 02:39 AM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by milesmonte
This Ninety Eight is loaded with options: such as Power Disc Brakes, Power Steering, Power Windows, Power Door Locks, Power Drivers Seat, Power Passenger Seat, Power Trunk Release, Remote Control Driver and Passenger side Mirrors, Deluxe Brougham Leather Interior, Tilt Wheel, Cruise Control, Rear Window Defogger, AM/FM/ ETR Cassette Stereo Radio!

Hold on, my '87 Olds 88 left the factory with all of the above apart from the power passenger seat and leather. I doubt if many 98s had much less.

That being said it's a great looking car and if it is as described a great deal for somebody. Sadly it's 3500 miles too far away for me, and I already have two H bodies.

Maybe it's me being British but your sales pitch doesn't appeal to me, and the cynic in me notes it has conveniently just under the magic 100,000 miles under its belt.

However if the car is the real McCoy it has a good chance of putting on another 100k without causing much distress.
I'm speaking as a fan of these cars, they are better suited to British roads than their B Body predecessors and make quite a good sleeper too.

Roger.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 12:01 PM

Those interiors were SO comfortable. Too bad anything new today has to be a sports car with hard seats.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 01:34 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Originally Posted by rustyroger
Hold on, my '87 Olds 88 left the factory with all of the above apart from the power passenger seat and leather. I doubt if many 98s had much less.
Roger, the 98's were somewhat better equipped than the 88's but shared the same drivetrains/suspensions. I looked up the productions numbers and found:
Olds 98 production (2 door coupe 98 Broughams) that shared this design
1985- 9703
1986- 5007
1987- 4207
1988-1990 the Sedan was the only 98 Brougham offered and it changed to the 'touring sedan'. Apparently the demand and following for 2 door 98's just wasn't there.

By comparison the 88 coupes were produced at a much higher rate. Although the OP says his car is 'rare' I believe it needs to be put in context. I do think it's 'rare' to find one as nice looking as this, but IMO that's about it. For a car that's less than 99K miles there is a significant amount of new replacement parts. That's ok, but the one that I'd be asking about is the replaced ECM unit. Unusual for that to go in less than 99K miles, but hey - it's an electrical component and no guarantees.

Some of the options listed on the car were standard on the Regency Brougham, but a surprising number of them are listed as Factory Installed Options in the promo literature. The leather was called the 'Grande' interior. Very possibly Oldsmobile's biggest mistake (and not staying competitive or reliable in that market era) was not fully equipping this car and having only a few options. It was already a high end priced car and adding all the extra features just jacked up the price not making it a worthwhile purchase for the money IMO. I think the redesign for 1991 models did it right. From the 1986 literature:

Old February 23rd, 2014, 06:37 PM

1986 olds ninety eight (rare) 2- door coupe

Hey ALLAN R: This Miles I am trying to sell a really nice car on the Classic Oldsmobile Forum and I would appreciate it if you would stop with the negative remarks toward my car!!!

For one thing the Computer went out right after I purchased the car. A car being 27 years old the computer is going to fail HELLO!

Furthermore my Great Aunt had one of these cars only hers was an 86 Regency 4 Door and her computer went out when it only had around 80,000 and a good thing I was with her when it did because she was 97 and still driving!
Also what I meant by RARE is that there are not many 2 -Doors left in this CONDITION!!

The only reason I need to sell this one is that I recently purchased a 1988 Toronado Trofeo!! and I like it better.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:26 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Hey MILESMONTE: This is Allan R. I don't believe I have said anything negative about your car. This is an open forum and anyone can post their comments one way or another. especially about production and option choices. You make a lot of unwarranted assumptions. Your description of RARE if you want to check is EXACTLY what I said in my post. The numbers I posted are not negative - in fact they could help you sell it based on the lower production. I did also post a list of the 1986 options for anyone to look at and make their own assessments and can only help support your claims of all the options the car has. YOU'RE WELCOME.

FWIW I was the one who helped you get your unorganized mess (3 separate threads containing just brief parts of the one this is in now) into one thread so it would be easier for any potential buyers. YOU'RE WELCOME AGAIN. Good luck with your sale; I was interested in this car, but now have no interest at all in your car based on your attitude and perception of me. Chalk up one lost sale for sure.

You'll find that other potential buyers might ask the exact same things I did, so be prepared to answer them as politely as you did me.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:35 PM

Allan, I didn't see anything negative in your postings, either. But I learned a long time ago that no good deed goes unpunished.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 08:45 PM

For a car that's less than 99K miles there is a significant amount of new replacement parts. That's ok, but the one that I'd be asking about is the replaced ECM unit. Unusual for that to go in less than 99K miles, but hey - it's an electrical component and no guarantees.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:02 PM
Just an Olds Guy

What's your point? That's a very fair comment. Not saying this can't happen, but it's unusual. You don't have to believe me - ask a qualified GM mechanic. I have NEVER had a car's ECM go out on any of my cars, and I had closer to 199K with NO failure of the ECM on my 98. As I noted - electrical components are no guarantees. I think you're over reacting.

re: the other there is a significant amount of new replacement parts I noted is ok, in fact it's likely a benefit to the potential buyer as that they won't have to do anything but turn the key, but HEY! IF you think that detracts from selling your car you shouldn't have put such emphasis on everything being 'New-'

And you can take this any way you want: What you spent on the car to put it back in the shape you want it to sell as does NOT increase it's value by the amount you spent on new parts/labor. Some of the things you listed are normal wear/tear or regular maintenance issues - period.

I just looked at the NADA list prices and a few other cars in this era. Your asking price is reasonable based on the $ values quoted for a 1986 Regency Brougham coupe. Again - good luck with your sale.
Old February 23rd, 2014, 09:27 PM

Im not interested

Nice car but pushy salesman. Good luck with your sale. Expect people to discuss the item for sale. Not all that reply are against you. They are just informed. All said it looks like a well maintained car. It should sell promptly and the cost of advertising on this site cant be beat, just don't forget that it is a site frequented by regular members.
Old February 24th, 2014, 06:11 AM

Thumbs up 1986 olds ninety eight (rare) 2- door coupe

Thank you Gary
Old February 24th, 2014, 06:38 AM
Administrator

Miles, although your car is not what I would call rare, it is in exceptionally good condition, and being a 2 door in my opinion is a perk. I don't think anyone had any disparaging comments towards your car, just some observations and corrective criticism. The items you list for repairs are with the exception of the undercoating, are standard wear items. ECM's are known to fail and probably will be the downside of owning many cars of this era.

Good luck with your sale.
Old February 24th, 2014, 08:48 AM

I agree Eric, The ECM's in the 1980's era are known to have failed!!
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:29 PM

1986 olds ninety eight (rare) 2- door coupe under 100k!

Just passed Missouri's stringent state safety inspection good for 60 days!

NEED TO SELL ASAP! NEW LOWER PRICE! $4,000 OR BEST OFFER!

Last edited by milesmonte; March 2nd, 2014 at 07:17 AM. Reason: WORDING
Old February 25th, 2014, 04:40 PM
Hookers under Hood

Leather seats are kkcold up here in Canada. Does is have heated seats in the event it sells on this side of the pond? Nice 2 door don't see them up in Canada anymore. Good luck with your sale !
Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:19 AM

1986 olds ninety eight (rare) 2- door coupe under 100k!

Just passed Missouri's stringent state safety inspection!
Good for 60 days.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:43 AM

Where in this post does it say the ECM is out? The ad says NO ISSUES. Am I missing something?
Old March 2nd, 2014, 07:43 AM
"me somebody" site member

It was a pretty rare car when new, being a coupe, and extremely so today in any condition. Trick is finding someone who will appreciate it. I like if very much myself, had a 1990 Olds 88 Royale FE3 coupe years back, one of the best cars I ever owned. Thing with your car is the V6 is a bit "rumbly" compared to the later 3800 motor, which had a balance shaft to smooth it out. That engine generally became available in 1988. Still a great car you have there, and I wish you good luck with the sale.
Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:11 AM

Just passed Missouri's stringent state safety inspection!
Good for 60 days.

then what after 60 days? Inspect again???
Old March 2nd, 2014, 11:46 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Just passed Missouri's stringent state safety inspection

What is involved in a Missouri inspection compared with other states?.
I'm not trying to be disparaging, I know cars that pass a Texas inspection often wouldn't be allowed on British, still less German or Scandanavian roads. I'm also aware of the necessity of owning a car in a lot of North America simply to hold down a job compared with over here.

Roger.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:28 AM
"me somebody" site member

Originally Posted by rustyroger
What is involved in a Missouri inspection compared with other states?.
I'm not trying to be disparaging, I know cars that pass a Texas inspection often wouldn't be allowed on British, still less German or Scandanavian roads. I'm also aware of the necessity of owning a car in a lot of North America simply to hold down a job compared with over here.

Roger.
Your predilection for irrelevancies astounds.

Let Google be your friend (applies to JPMDaddy's idiotic question too):

http://www.dmv.org/mo-missouri/smog-check.php
Old March 3rd, 2014, 06:38 AM
Administrator

I believe it's smog exempt due to it's age. The safety exemption is no different than most states inspections.
Old March 3rd, 2014, 07:19 PM
'87 Delta 88 Royale

Originally Posted by aliensatemybuick
Your predilection for irrelevancies astounds.

Let Google be your friend (applies to JPMDaddy's idiotic question too):

http://www.dmv.org/mo-missouri/smog-check.php

If you don't know the answer a smartass comment is a poor substitute.

Roger.
Old March 5th, 2014, 05:33 PM

Dear Administrator:

Please delete this thread as I have sold this car.

Thankyou for letting use this forum.