Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

68 Ram Rod

Search this Thread

Old October 15th, 2014, 02:57 PM

I thought I recognized this car from somewhere...

http://www.yenko.net/ubbthreads/ubbt...w31#Post586280

Looks like a nice car in all the detail pictures!
Old October 15th, 2014, 04:28 PM

wow that was quick
yes that was my Ram Rod
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:18 AM

It is a nice car, for what it is.

I have now heard from several sources that there were only 30 Cutlass S Ram Rods, based on Oldsmobile Heritage documents. Does anyone know the exact brake down?
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:26 AM

I think, based on trends, the Cutlass S Holiday is the most popular of the W-31s.

The references I've seen usually show 30 Cutlass Supremes.
Old October 16th, 2014, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Stefano
It is a nice car, for what it is.

I have now heard from several sources that there were only 30 Cutlass S Ram Rods, based on Oldsmobile Heritage documents. Does anyone know the exact brake down?

do you have this in writing
there were a lot more than 30 Cutlass S' w the w-31 option in 68
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:04 AM

So a Cutlass Supreme Holiday Coupe Ram Rod would be the one of 30?
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:06 AM

From the info I've seen, yes, but as you know the info has only been passed along for years without much substantiation. Personally, I find it hard to believe they offered it on the CS but it could be.
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:27 AM

Never seen a Cutlass Supreme Ram Rod nor have ever heard of one
Lets back up 672 is said to have been made but reality is 500.
So w that in mind there are accurate numbers of production out there for sure ?
The first 50 went to the track which more than likely were all post cars made of F-85s and or Sport's coupes

thinking your 30 number could be the Sport's coupes but not the Cutlass S model
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:42 AM

From Year One's site, which has been known to not be 100% accurate:

F-85 Club coupe - 38
Cutlass S Sports Coupe -(674)
Cutlass S Holiday hardtop - (674)
Cutlass Surpeme Holiday coupe - 30

The 674 is combined.

Lots of questions could be asked by those numbers, but that's all I've ever seen.
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:55 AM

Originally Posted by Diego

F-85 Club coupe - 38

The 674 is combined.

Lots of questions could be asked by those numbers, but that's all I've ever seen.

yes that 674 number is widely referenced however not accurate.
Olds initial plan was only to make 50 but NHRA mandated 500 to be made .
A 200 or so extra blocks were made for the teams and dealerships (replacement blocks).

Never seen a CS Ram Rod, does it or does not exist ......... going w no

the majority made were def the Cutlass S models which you eluded to already.

So out the 500 number what's the break down, I have no idea honestly.
Old October 16th, 2014, 10:59 AM

Originally Posted by dnmfranco
wow that was quick
yes that was my Ram Rod
You work with him and he flips it! Harsh!
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:00 AM

You can't assume Olds built 500. Nothing stopped them from building more. Until a better source pops up, we only have the numbers posted.
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:09 AM

I remember reading or hearing that production was 500 too. Of course, Year One has thought otherwise; this is from their 1988 catalog.

yo1968w31.jpg
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by bkeese
Wel when you sell something it becomes the decision of the new owner to do what he wants

Honestly little surprised it was this quick but his rightful choice
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:27 AM

You can't assume Olds built 500. Nothing stopped them from building more. Until a better source pops up, we only have the numbers posted.

Not assuming this comes from past employees who were there at the time they were built. If you want to hold onto year one's production numbers by all means do so. But I will go w the people that were there
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:28 AM
Trying to remember member

Does anyone know the exact brake down?
I think, based on trends, the Cutlass S Holiday is the most popular of the W-31s.

The references I've seen usually show 30 Cutlass Supremes.
do you have this in writing
there were a lot more than 30 Cutlass S' w the w-31 option in 68
Never seen a Cutlass Supreme Ram Rod nor have ever heard of one
Lets back up 672 is said to have been made but reality is 500.
So w that in mind there are accurate numbers of production out there for sure ?
The first 50 went to the track which more than likely were all post cars made of F-85s and or Sport's coupes

thinking your 30 number could be the Sport's coupes but not the Cutlass S model

F-85 Club coupe - 38

The 674 is combined.

I'd like to weigh in here. I'm in the middle of trying to determine what the real numbers are. Not a lot is known for sure, and there is a lot of bad information out there, and some of the bad info is coming right from GM.
All I can say at the moment is that 30 Cutlass S Holiday Coupes (3687) can't be correct. Safe to say the majority of the 500+ made were that model. There were some convertibles (3687) and both the F85 (3277) and Cutlass (3677) post coupes. It may be that no Supremes (4287) were built. Doe anyone know of any *documented* '68 Supreme Ramrods?
The 674 total *may* be correct.
That's about all I can say for now. I'm still gathering information. It is possible that the real number(s) may not now or ever be known. You can pretty well bet the farm that any source like Year One cannot be trusted to be accurate.
Old October 16th, 2014, 11:59 AM

flipping

Originally Posted by bkeese

He is a business man. He is not building a personal collection. What did you expect him to do with it?
Old October 16th, 2014, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by oldsmobiledave
He is a business man. He is not building a personal collection. What did you expect him to do with it?
I did not knot that, now I do! Harsh! I didn't realize this was an episode of American Pickers playing out right here on Classic Oldsmobiles.

I know I know but lost a storage spot no room. Couldn't let it sit outside for winter.
But did tell him if and when he sells want first crack hopefully in a distant future I will be better suited for it.
I wonder what Stefano said to this? OK? Then Dean had to find out from someone on this board, not Stefano, that it was listed for sale. What happened to "first crack"?
Old October 16th, 2014, 01:50 PM

bkeese.... I don't think I know who you are, but last time I checked, I didn't need your O.K. to put a car up for sale.

I don't know what you think you may know, but the seller told me that he would not be in a position to buy the car back anytime soon, for a multitude of reasons.

I made no representation about what I would or would not do with the car until I had a chance to evaluate it. I have done so and deemed that right now I do not want to undertake the time and expense of restoring this car.

Dean if somehow you misunderstood my intentions and you want the Ram Rod back, you are welcome to have it back for what I have invested up to this point, call me tonight and let me know.

I do both, collect cars as well as buy and sell for my business. Either way the choice of what I keep and what I sell is still mine.
Old October 16th, 2014, 03:43 PM

Originally Posted by wmachine
I'd like to weigh in here. I'm in the middle of trying to determine what the real numbers are. Not a lot is known for sure, and there is a lot of bad information out there, and some of the bad info is coming right from GM.
All I can say at the moment is that 30 Cutlass S Holiday Coupes (3687) can't be correct. Safe to say the majority of the 500+ made were that model. There were some convertibles (3687) and both the F85 (3277) and Cutlass (3677) post coupes. It may be that no Supremes (4287) were built. Doe anyone know of any *documented* '68 Supreme Ramrods?
The 674 total *may* be correct.
That's about all I can say for now. I'm still gathering information. It is possible that the real number(s) may not now or ever be known. You can pretty well bet the farm that any source like Year One cannot be trusted to be accurate.

don't know of anyone w a CS Ram Rod. Yes the majority def were S holiday models. Personally hope you find the info far as exact numbers but I believe its unknown far as the break downs.
Old October 16th, 2014, 04:09 PM

I wonder what Stefano said to this? OK? Then Dean had to find out from someone on this board, not Stefano, that it was listed for sale. What happened to "first crack"?

bkeese.... I don't think I know who you are, but last time I checked, I didn't need your O.K. to put a car up for sale.

I don't know what you think you may know, but the seller told me that he would not be in a position to buy the car back anytime soon, for a multitude of reasons.

I made no representation about what I would or would not do with the car until I had a chance to evaluate it. I have done so and deemed that right now I do not want to undertake the time and expense of restoring this car.

Dean if somehow you misunderstood my intentions and you want the Ram Rod back, you are welcome to have it back for what I have invested up to this point, call me tonight and let me know.

I do both, collect cars as well as buy and sell for my business. Either way the choice of what I keep and what I sell is still mine.bkeese.... I don't think I know who you are, but last time I checked, I didn't need your O.K. to put a car up for sale.

I do both, collect cars as well as buy and sell for my business. Either way the choice of what I keep and what I sell is still mine.

Well need to clear this up.

First off Stefano held up his end of the bargain to a T. There were a few components to this transaction in which he facilitated thoroughly.

Secondly, when he bought the car he said he did not know what his intentions would be until he got the car in plain eye sight.
So he decided not to restore it which he mentioned to me would be a possibility as well as selling it.

He did honor my having "first crack" at it. A pm was sent to him stating my request with the clarification "if I was in suitable position to do so". Right now I am not and that's okay.

He also went as far as to say I could have it back for the same money plus his expenses which quite obviously is less than what he is currently asking for it. He didn't have to make that offer to me but he chose to.

Also more importantly to me (as he knew the difficulty I was going thru selling this car) he didn't post it on here and nor did he put a link to his website on here. So clearly he took my feelings into consideration.

From the beginning to the end Stefano was a stand up guy thru our transaction. He honored all aspects of the deal and to reiterate he did give the option of buy back.
So thumbs up on my end
Sincerely, Dean
Old December 14th, 2014, 05:52 PM
MOTORHEAD

ADZth2GM

woof dat much

hohoho
hehehe
Old December 14th, 2014, 05:57 PM
MOTORHEAD

debase yourself
i **** on ants like you
stefanfro
Old December 14th, 2014, 06:08 PM
MOTORHEAD

only ten thousand ????
wtf
Old December 3rd, 2019, 11:29 AM

This Ram Rad could not have gone to a better care taker. The time and expense involved in order to bring the car to it's current status is well beyond the current market value. It was a true "labor of love".

Cheers to you Mr. Lingenfelter!

Dean, if your still around, I saved one of the Johnny Lightning die casts, for you.

Last edited by Stefano; December 3rd, 2019 at 11:34 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 04:41 PM

This Ram Rad could not have gone to a better care taker. The time and expense involved in order to bring the car to it's current status is well beyond the current market value. It was a true "labor of love".

Dean, if your still around, I saved one of the Johnny Lightning die casts, for you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pckZ...2UrJ9anQQ9ZuY8
Awesome car and always a favorite of mine.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 05:33 PM

I still touch base with him every six months or so. He’s doing good, just taking a break from the Oldsmobile world.
Old December 4th, 2019, 09:12 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pckZ...2UrJ9anQQ9ZuY8
Bravo on a magnificent restoration
Old December 5th, 2019, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by allyolds68
I still touch base with him every six months or so. He’s doing good, just taking a break from the Oldsmobile world.
That's good to hear. Still appreciate all his help with NOS parts and advice as I was just getting into the '68.

Seeing the ram rod at MCACN was a treat. Truly an awesome car, and Charlie is a great caretaker of it.
Old December 10th, 2019, 09:57 AM

Hi Stefano,
That was very thoughtful of you to save one for me!!! Let me know what I owe and will make it happen.

Goes without saying how great it looks. John Ebbs always said when restored this would be the best Ram Rod due to the paperwork and color combo.
I think he may have been right..........

Dean
Old December 10th, 2019, 10:14 AM
BuddyH

68 RamRod

Very cool video of a nicely done Oldsmobile! Interesting that there’s no Rallye Pac in this car; they must’ve strapped a Sun SuperPro on the column🤔
Old January 1st, 2020, 12:18 PM

Hi Stefano,
That was very thoughtful of you to save one for me!!! Let me know what I owe and will make it happen.

Dean
Just email me your correct address (nickeychicago@aol.com) and Santa will get it to you.
Old July 8th, 2020, 02:05 PM

Dean, please forward your mailing address.