Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Anyone in Englewood CO to look at a W31 for me?

Search this Thread

Old November 30th, 2019, 07:09 AM

Anyone in Englewood CO to look at a W31 for me?

For those of you who know me, I bit off more than I could chew with my last restoration, considering I have 5 blown discs in my neck. I ran across the following car a few days ago and although it looks pretty I would like to know if there is any one in the area that can check it out. My main areas of concern, does it have to correct harmonic balancer, why does the drive shaft seem crooked *leaning to the passenger side in the rear, the underside of the front fender doesn't seem right, and there are welds across the bottom of the rear axle. Also, what would you consider a fair price for this car?

https://vmp.ebay.com/ebay/viewAllPho...?smid=26296218

If you want to know the meaning of Xmas to me please read the story below. Yesterday, I found out the true meaning of Xmas, and the reason I am so thankful at Thanksgiving. As many of you know, I have been suffering the past 8 years with chronic neck, shoulder, and facial pain. The one thing I have dreamed of during this time is a 1970 442. I had one in my 20's and most of my 30's but had to sell it when the economy tanked in 2001.

After thanksgiving dinner, I was showing my brother a picture of one on ebay for 35k and my daughter said I should ask Santa for one. I told her Santa only brings presents for small kids and that I would much rather have him bring her the guitar she wants.

While shopping yesterday, she told my wife she changed her mind on her gift from Santa, which we already bought, and she has done every year for the past 4 years, so she gets bigger gifts. When my wife told her it was too late, she said it wasn't for her it was for me. She wanted Santa to bring me a 1970 442 for all I do for everyone else, and I deserved to be happy on Xmas morning.

Last night as the wife and I were out walk, she told me the story and it brought me so much joy knowing my daughter cared that much about me. However, what really made me feel special is when the wife told me I deserve it and should buy it. We have fought over this subject more time than I can count and for her to tell me to buy it mean the world.

Although I will always dream of owning another 1970 442. I have something much better, a wife and daughter who love me, and would give anything to bring me happiness. Now that to me is the true meaning of Xmas.
Old November 30th, 2019, 07:26 AM
Rocket Renegade!

I'm curious about why it has 4-4-2 tailpipes.
Old November 30th, 2019, 07:29 AM

A lot of people did this....
Old November 30th, 2019, 08:11 AM

Why not consider this car?

https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...ardtop-140046/
Old November 30th, 2019, 08:50 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Here is a W31 balancer. That looks correct from what I see.
The welds you're referring to on the rear end are paint runs.
Driveshaft offset is an optical illusion as it angles down towards the rear end.
All of these cars can lean. They were that way from the factory. Some were better than others.
The driver's side front lower fender seems to exhibit rust blisters. Or it could just be sloppy bodywork not paying attention to the details.
Headers detract from the value as does the addition of the trumpets and 442 bumper.

Overall the car looks clean. Overall not horrible pictures. The cowl tag pic sux Wheres the VIN? These amateur picture takers never really get good money shots.
420000 shots of the same thing, yeay your back seat is wonderful...hows the door and rocker seams, trunk pan, rear quarter wheel house seams, front & back metal dashes etc..I suppose if you were serious you could request those shots. It would be a good teaching lesson for the individual for future picture taking.

If you want above-average dollars you gotta show me the money shots and genuine documentation. I would call this car an excellent example of a W31 for local cruise nights and shows, an above-average driver. This is the kind of car you buy to do a high-end showroom restoration, taking it to that next level. This is the car you would start with.
36K is close to being right on the money.

Old November 30th, 2019, 09:20 AM

droldsmorland thanks for the response... The driveshaft shots really threw me off.. My plan would be to cleanup the engine bay, get rid of the headers, put the correct hoses, clamps, belts, etc. Then tackle the exhaust, breaks, etc.
Old November 30th, 2019, 09:23 AM

Not really into 4 speeds
Old November 30th, 2019, 11:01 AM

I liked this one as well until I read the body tag doesn't match the VIN - been researching and have found a few cases of this - can anyone confirm on oldsmobiles?

https://car-from-uk.com/sale.php?id=100602&country=us

Old November 30th, 2019, 11:18 AM

The body sequence number on the cowl tag never matches the VIN unless it's a freak coincidence.

The red W-31 in your original post got a ton of commentary on the Facebook Olds pages a couple months back from many guys who are on this site too.

Terry
Old November 30th, 2019, 11:23 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by rgs455
That looks like a nicer car. Not crazy about the pearlescent re-pop interior on the red car either.

Last edited by BangScreech4-4-2; November 30th, 2019 at 11:28 AM.
Old November 30th, 2019, 12:28 PM

vette442 - can you send me a link to the page - where the comments good, bad or a mix
Old November 30th, 2019, 12:58 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by Johnd
I liked this one as well until I read the body tag doesn't match the VIN - been researching and have found a few cases of this - can anyone confirm on oldsmobiles?
I know it's a well-documented phenomenon on '68-9s and nothing to worry about. For 1970 and up, I'm not too sure.
Old November 30th, 2019, 01:00 PM

My bet is that this is not a W-31. I am not seeing documents and it has power brakes. Without a document that it is a W-31, I feel this car is over priced. It is easy to add W-31 emblems to a nice car. The rally pack gauges are repop, has Supreme tail light lenses on it. Sure, most of this is not a big deal and could have been changed over the years but I am not buying that it is a W-31.
Old November 30th, 2019, 01:05 PM

It is always good when the wife is on board with buying a car
Old November 30th, 2019, 01:28 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by jensenracing77
My bet is that this is not a W-31. I am not seeing documents and it has power brakes. Without a document that it is a W-31, I feel this car is over priced.
I thought that too, but then I looked again and saw a picture of a dealer order/invoice form plus GM Canada/Zapora authentication.

Last edited by BangScreech4-4-2; November 30th, 2019 at 01:31 PM.
Old November 30th, 2019, 01:36 PM

I thought w31s came with manual brakes only?
Old November 30th, 2019, 01:41 PM
Rocket Renegade!

Originally Posted by schlitzguzzler1
I thought w31s came with manual brakes only?
Well, that's true, but easy enough to install a booster.
Old November 30th, 2019, 01:59 PM

No torque converter/starter ring gear cover stood out in my mind.
Old November 30th, 2019, 05:46 PM

I won't comment on the car but on your neck. Quit dreaming about some car and get your neck FIXED! Your neck will NOT get better, trust me. My wife had neck fusion (3 disks impinging nerve canal) five years ago. Along with followup therapy, GAME CHANGER.

FIX YOUR NECK.
Old December 1st, 2019, 06:33 AM

NilesMike - thanks for the advice. However, it isn't that simple - it would require a 6 level fusion c1 - c7 and I would basically lose call movement in my neck. I have seen 3 different surgeons and they said suffer through the pain as it is better than the surgery. They are also concerned that it will keep blowing disks further down the neck. I met a lady at PT who had 12 levels fused and she was a mess.
Old December 1st, 2019, 07:49 AM

Looks like the car was sold at Mecum for 35K in 2017 and 29.5K in July of this year
Old December 1st, 2019, 07:55 AM

NilesMike - thanks for the advice. However, it isn't that simple - it would require a 6 level fusion c1 - c7 and I would basically lose call movement in my neck. I have seen 3 different surgeons and they said suffer through the pain as it is better than the surgery. They are also concerned that it will keep blowing disks further down the neck. I met a lady at PT who had 12 levels fused and she was a mess.
Man, that sucks. I wish you well
Old December 1st, 2019, 03:45 PM

Both lower fenders have very sloppy body work done. Look how thick the mud is by the fender mounting bolts .
Old December 2nd, 2019, 03:26 AM

Yeah - I am more concerned with the floor pan - there is something definitely off with the drive shaft
Old December 2nd, 2019, 05:30 AM

My wife is getting rods in her back from C4 to L4 in January. Not looking forward to that.
Old December 2nd, 2019, 06:43 AM

Man - I am sorry to hear about your wife.. I will keep her in my thoughts and prayers. I know the past 8 years have sucked which is why my wife offered to buy me a car. She said if it brings me any happiness it is worth it.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 04:55 AM

So I heard back from the seller yesterday - had him look through the car. The numbers on the block are missing, it looks like it has some mud in the lower quarters, and needs some touch up from rock chips. They are willing to go 32K on the car but I have found more solid cars for less money but not in the right color combination. With that said what do you think this car is worth
Old December 3rd, 2019, 07:32 AM

So I heard back from the seller yesterday - had him look through the car. The numbers on the block are missing, it looks like it has some mud in the lower quarters, and needs some touch up from rock chips. They are willing to go 32K on the car but I have found more solid cars for less money but not in the right color combination. With that said what do you think this car is worth
Keep one thing in mind......you are dealing with a "Used car salesman". Take your time and make him come down, you have the cash. Others on here can better advise you on value/price. Good luck !
Old December 3rd, 2019, 08:47 AM
Rocket Renegade!

Data plate is illegible, but it's even odds that that car wasn't originally Rally Red. I'd find a better one and if paint's that big a deal, paint it. Based on nothing but its presentation, I'd guess the car has more problems than just the ones we're seeing. If you feel obliged to buy it, I wouldn't go beyond $25K because I think it'll end up costing you a few bucks to put it right.

Last edited by BangScreech4-4-2; December 3rd, 2019 at 08:50 AM.
Old December 3rd, 2019, 01:16 PM

69442ragtop - the seller sent pictures of the engine and the VIN had been ground off. In addition, it had a lot of reproduction parts and the body had some filler. The previous owner said it had a lot of electrical issues as well. So I decided to pass...
Old December 3rd, 2019, 04:07 PM

I can look at it for you. Looked at a car for Anthony P and he was happy.
Old December 4th, 2019, 08:40 AM
Rocket Renegade!

69442ragtop - the seller sent pictures of the engine and the VIN had been ground off. In addition, it had a lot of reproduction parts and the body had some filler. The previous owner said it had a lot of electrical issues as well. So I decided to pass...
Good choice, I think. Best of luck in your continued hunt.
Old December 4th, 2019, 09:41 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

If it was priced at half the asking price it may be a bit more attractive.