Cars For Sale Please read forum guidelines before posting.

Sellining 1969 Hurst 442 H/O original owner

Search this Thread

Old September 30th, 2008, 03:37 PM

Sellining 1969 Hurst 442 H/O original owner

Hello,
I am helping sell a car for a lady who works in my office. She has a 1969 Hurst Olds 442 HO that her husband bought new in 1969. The car has been mostly stored since that time that he went overseas. He was killed in a helo crash shortly after coming home from Vietnam, and she has kept the car since that time. I believe that all the paint aside from one fender is original paint. It does have some minor door dings and things like that but is in beautifull original condition. She had the motor rebuilt for reasons I do not know but the engine trans etc are all original. She has the window stickers from the dealer and all paperwork.
It is a beautifull car and sounds very nice. We do not really no how to go about selling this car for a fair price. We are thinking about using Ebay.. can anyone here help us with pricing?
thank you very much for your help.
Old September 30th, 2008, 05:22 PM

H/O

Private message me and I will try to help you out. You can always contact Oldsmobile club of America, or the Hurst Olds Club of America. Where is the car located? M'Lisa
Old October 1st, 2008, 08:23 AM

And right next door to the H/O is a 1970 Hemi Barracuda convertible with only 15 miles on it. Really. It was purchased as an 18th birthday present for a young man who died tragically the day after he got it. And down the street is a 1966 427 Cobra that was personally delivered by Carroll Shelby and has only seen 400 track miles since. Please.
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:10 AM
stock so far

if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is

but if its true then good luck
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by rustyold66
And right next door to the H/O is a 1970 Hemi Barracuda convertible with only 15 miles on it. Really. It was purchased as an 18th birthday present for a young man who died tragically the day after he got it. And down the street is a 1966 427 Cobra that was personally delivered by Carroll Shelby and has only seen 400 track miles since. Please.
yes yes I guessed that this feeling was the reason I am not getting many replies. She is going to roll it out of the garage this weekend and take some pics. She is also going to take photos of the window sticker, sales paperwork, owners manual, dealer delivery paperwork and other things she has kept. I have seen her drive it to our office maybe 3 times over the past 10 years. She likes to go start it once a month or so.

After I load the pics I would really like it if someone could help me tell her the price range to ask, or let me know what other info I should post.

thank you

Ill update monday.
thanks.
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:50 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

Sounds like a cool car. Well out of my price range I'm sure.
Old October 1st, 2008, 11:31 AM

I will be happy to help you after I see some pics. Just incase you don't know it, Olds people tend be numbers and letters freaks so you might as well crawl all over the car and get the letters and/or numbers of EVERYTHING engine, carb, manifold, distributer, transmission, rear end, etc etc ad nausium

It will greatly affect the value of what is and isn't correct.
Old October 1st, 2008, 11:43 AM

thanks for the help Jamesbo. I will get scans of paperwork next week. She told me today that she was looking at paperwork last night and noticed that the car is a W45. I looked for info and all that I found on the internet says that W45 is for 1968. I know it is a 1969 - Gold and White. She might be wrong about the number so I will confirm when I have more paperwork available. She bought it at Ball Oldsmobile in National City Ca. National city is in the San Diego area about 5 miles from her house. She said that she has a bronze nameplate that the dealer gave her with her husbands name on it. I think it was supposed to be put on the dash or something.

Thanks everyone for reading my post and any possible help.

regards.
Old October 1st, 2008, 11:52 AM

I look forward to seeing pics.
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by selling442
thanks for the help Jamesbo. I will get scans of paperwork next week. She told me today that she was looking at paperwork last night and noticed that the car is a W45. I looked for info and all that I found on the internet says that W45 is for 1968. I know it is a 1969 - Gold and White. She might be wrong about the number so I will confirm when I have more paperwork available. She bought it at Ball Oldsmobile in National City Ca. National city is in the San Diego area about 5 miles from her house. She said that she has a bronze nameplate that the dealer gave her with her husbands name on it. I think it was supposed to be put on the dash or something.

Thanks everyone for reading my post and any possible help.

regards.
Correct the plate is for the dash but not all H/O owners ordered them. It's W-46 for the H/O

Correct 69 H/O Cameo White w/ Firefrost gold stipes here's some more information http://www.hurstolds.com/

Get the vin number also then we can tell you what number H/O it is .

The paperwork is very nice and helps BUT the numbers/ letters will tell what has been replaced [or not] and means a great deal to a perspective purchaser.
Old October 1st, 2008, 12:25 PM
Registered

If you see her every day why don't you ask her why she had the engine rebuilt and who did it? She just "noticed" it was a W45? Gold and white means nothing, maybe he had it painted.
Too bad her husband crashed after he came home, pretty bad luck. My bro was in the service at the same time and served two tours over there, except he was shot down and wounded badly a few times in combat.

I hope this is true for your sake,

Allan
Old October 1st, 2008, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by amh555
If you see her every day why don't you ask her why she had the engine rebuilt and who did it? She just "noticed" it was a W45? Gold and white means nothing, maybe he had it painted.
Too bad her husband crashed after he came home, pretty bad luck. My bro was in the service at the same time and served two tours over there, except he was shot down and wounded badly a few times in combat.

I hope this is true for your sake,

Allan
yes she was going through some paperwork last night as I asked her to. And she mentioned that it was a W45. The number means nothing to her except that one time she was having carb trouble and took the car to San Diego Carburator and while looking at it the mechanic said that this was not the original carb for her car. She contacted an olds club and they said that because her car was a W45, the carb on her car was correct and the local mechanic was wrong. She will bring paperwork in to scan tomorrow. I asked her about the rebuild and she says it was leaking oil, and the repairs were done in her garage at home. She has pictures of the motor work in progress and will bring those in too for me to scan. I think the motor work was about 15 years ago.
Thanks

edit: found out more about the carb.. she took it in to the carb shop and they said it did not have the original Rochester carb on it. It has instead a Carter. She was put in touch with some old guy in Missouri that knew everything about Hurst Olds and he said that the Rochesters of the time were not performing well enough to meet the car's needs so Olds switched to Carter carbs. He said that according to her model number the carb is correct.

Last edited by selling442; October 1st, 2008 at 02:16 PM. Reason: more info
Old October 1st, 2008, 03:57 PM

tell the old lady i'll give her $500 for it this weekend---cash.
Old October 1st, 2008, 04:11 PM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

She is probably not an "old lady" and should be shown some respect. Maybe that name should be "chumps" instead of crumps.
Old October 1st, 2008, 10:33 PM

really??????????

Oops - sounds like this may be a real deal after all. I have seen doofuses make fake posts like this on other sites. But none with this kind of follow-up. But - I'm just Mr. Pragmatic.

I surely hope this is real. These are my favorite stories. Would love to see pix. Maybe the owner will benefit from a sale and a lucky new owner will have a cool car.
Old October 1st, 2008, 11:13 PM
Official Tire Kicker

I want to see it!

Since I live in San Diego I would love the chance to take a look at this car if it goes up for sale!!! Please send me a PM with address or phone number!!!!
Old October 2nd, 2008, 04:14 AM

Just MHO

But before I listed the car for auction [with all the pitfalls that come along with it ]

I would list it here and look through some other Olds sites like 442.com where there is always someone looking for 69 H/O.

Looks like you already have an interested party requesting a PM.

p.s. Sound like she got some bad info on the carb.

It would really be more important what is on the car rather than what "he said, she said."

All of the correct parts/pieces are well documented and "Who shot Nelly in the Belly" really just confuses things.

Sorry, I know you are trying to just give out information, but as Joe Friday would say, "Give us the facts, just the facts"

Then we can try to help you value the car.-Good Luck and I am reallly not trying to be curt. But sooner or later someone is going to be asking you the exact same questions I have.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 10:11 AM
Seasoned beater pilot.

I know someone on this board that is looking for a 69/h/o like....NOW!
Old October 2nd, 2008, 12:28 PM

sheesh- tough crowd. I meant no disrespect by "old lady". It was a joke- obviously if the car is the real deal it is worth a whole lot more than $500.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 03:16 PM

ok she brought in 3 bags of paperwork for the car today and some pictures from when she had the engine work a few years ago. The car condition has not changed from the time of these pictures. She will take the car out of the garage and get new pictures this weekend.
The scans are not great but should be readable.

thanks for any help or guidance you can give us.

If some people are in or near San Diego I can ask her to drive it someplace for a viewing but she does not want to do this at her house. She does not want to drive it all the way downtown to our office because the tire sidewalls are cracked.

Tim

ok trying to change all the scans to 800x600 at 97kb doesnt seem to be working very well... I will try to figure something out
Old October 2nd, 2008, 03:24 PM

trying a hosting service hopefully this works[/IMG]

ok thats not working.. im up for ideas
http://img67.imageshack.us/my.php?im...cker001cb8.png

putting the link up seemed to work a bit.. I can mail them to someone with better forum skills than myself or I can try again in the morning

Last edited by selling442; October 2nd, 2008 at 03:52 PM. Reason: edit w
Old October 2nd, 2008, 06:05 PM

Here you go,

Old October 3rd, 2008, 04:33 AM

Ok, I am going to try to explain this another way.
The bags of paperwork are good to have to show what the car was then.

However, to try to put a value on the car you need to know what is the car NOW.

I can not read the vin on the window sticker to determine what # H/O it is. Please type it out for me.

Does it have the origional,
engine?
Heads?
intake manifold?
Transmission?
Carb?
Distributer?
Rear end?
top can w/ flapper door?

Although the pics will be helpful, for your friend to get the maximum Dollars for her car, she is going to have to get all of these letters/numbers off the various components. If you don't feel comforatble crawling all over the car, she needs to take it to a garage and have someone write down all of the numbers/letters. I would be well worth the time and $$$ spent.

A true unmolested 69 H/O survivor with all of the paper work she apparantely has is a very rare and valuable car.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 05:05 AM

From the little bit that these ole eyes can read off the window sticker,

3.42 anti spin is correct for a 69 H/O w/o a/c.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 12:06 PM

The real banana

selling 442 sent me the build sheet, window sticker, some pics and some other paperwork.

From where I sit [over 2000 miles away] and the information I have been sent, I would say His friend has the Real McCoy.
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:20 PM

If some people are in or near San Diego I can ask her to drive it someplace for a viewing but she does not want to do this at her house. She does not want to drive it all the way downtown to our office because the tire sidewalls are cracked.

Tell her I will meet her anywhere within 3 miles of her house, that should be far enough and close enough, I am in Pacific Beach.
If the car still in National City I can be there in 20 Minutes.

Leo
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:38 PM

Another guy from these forums has a friend flying out to San Diego for a wedding and he is hoping to have time to see it on Monday. I expect to have the meeting at the Bonita Post Office at about 3:30 or 4:00pm. I will confirm it here but you can feel free to come on by. Again, I will confirm the time after I talk with him again.

thanks everyone for your help
Old October 3rd, 2008, 01:56 PM

Can we begin to speculate or even ball park this value yet? Assuming its a unmolested 69 H/O survivor...50k?
Old October 3rd, 2008, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Scotty B
Can we begin to speculate or even ball park this value yet? Assuming its a unmolested 69 H/O survivor...50k?
IMHO so far it looks like a genuine one owner, [can be documented]
unmolested survivor, low milage, 69 H/O with tons of good paperwork.

These don't come along very often. Once again, IMHO you are only an"origional survivor" once. You can be frame off restored as many times as affordable.

I just dunno

Where's Kurt when ya need him?
Old October 3rd, 2008, 10:49 PM
Official Tire Kicker

Another guy from these forums has a friend flying out to San Diego for a wedding and he is hoping to have time to see it on Monday. I expect to have the meeting at the Bonita Post Office at about 3:30 or 4:00pm. I will confirm it here but you can feel free to come on by. Again, I will confirm the time after I talk with him again.

thanks everyone for your help

Bonita Post Office on Monday?

Last edited by Willidog; October 3rd, 2008 at 10:52 PM.
Old October 4th, 2008, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Willidog
Bonita Post Office on Monday?
Sounds like a plan.
Old October 6th, 2008, 09:30 AM

The brass name plate says "HO-340" and and "built for (her late husband)"

We will be at the Bonita Post office today at 3:30pm.

Located at the corner of Bonita Road and Central Avenue in Bonita. If we are not in front of the post office look for a gold and white Hust and it will be us.

thanks for all your help.
Old October 6th, 2008, 11:22 AM

The brass name plate says "HO-340" and and "built for (her late husband)"

We will be at the Bonita Post office today at 3:30pm.

Located at the corner of Bonita Road and Central Avenue in Bonita. If we are not in front of the post office look for a gold and white Hust and it will be us.

thanks for all your help.
Don't confuse the plaque number with the Demmer sequential conversion number. Many people didn't register their 69 H/O with Hurst.

Good luck, If I wasn't so far away, I'd drive mine also to the P.O just for the fun of it.
Old October 6th, 2008, 06:40 PM

Well, Williedog and I drove down to Bonita about 15 miles expecting to not see anything BUT there it was in plain view An honest to goodness Hurst/Olds, original owner and all, this car is a survivor original paint ,engine, interior, and lots of paper work to authenticate the legitimacy of it. Yes the old lady story is true she was there to answer all the questions and she gave a very interesting story on how she chose to buy this car, she traded in her 65 Vette cause she was pregnant and they needed a bigger car, they used to subscribe to Motor trend Magazine and in the covwer was a H/O and she said "thats the car I want".
It is a California car sold in the San Diego area, It was built in Lansing code"M" all the H/O stuff like the the scoop,air cleaner, dual gate,spoiler paint is all there and unmolested as well as the 455 that was rebuilt about 11,000 miles ago, the Odometer shows about 115,000 I do not think they rebuil it cause they blew it up it was tired I think and they felt it needed to be redone. The interrior shows a few rips,there is some small dents here and there and the paint is faded keep in mind this was their everyday family driver for many years in other words they used it like it was meant to be used but taken well cared of.
The car starts right up and sounds good I did not feel to ask to drive it since I can not afford to buy it and did not want to waste the ladies time.
Once again the car is all there it is a real H/O she is the original owner it has never been altered or raced it is bone stock.
Pictures are on their way and will put more input as soon as they are put on.
Old October 6th, 2008, 07:01 PM
Official Tire Kicker

Hurst Olds photos

Here are some pics of the Hurst as we saw it today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMGP1358.JPG (51.9 KB, 454 views)
IMGP1359.JPG (53.3 KB, 400 views)
IMGP1360.JPG (62.9 KB, 422 views)
IMGP1361.JPG (53.6 KB, 342 views)
IMGP1362.JPG (49.9 KB, 334 views)
Old October 6th, 2008, 07:02 PM