1972 rear wheel wells - like Delta 88?

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2023, 06:20 PM

1972 rear wheel wells - like Delta 88?

Hi all. I'm falling more and more in love with the '72 98 I purchased three months ago. Tons of "tune up" and bringing back to life; brakes, brake lines, master cylinder, cap/rotor/wires/plugs/oil/filter, carb rebuild, valve cover gaskets, new fuel tank, fuel lines, etc. I'm a fan of muscle cars and I put larger, 275/60/15 BF Goodrich Comp TA raised white letter tires, new rear coil springs with about 2' of lift.

My question is around the rear wheel wells. I am not a fan of the wheel skirts and don't think it looks good with the ...supporting metal around the well for the skirts. I'm planning to trim the metal inside the overall wheel opening to make it look like a Delta 88. Has anyone ever done anything like this or seen it? (I know - I'm crazy). I am not looking to have a show car - just want a nice cruiser that I like the look of, and just not sure what to do with these rear wheel wells.

Thoughts? Thank you.

Jay
Old July 9th, 2023, 07:03 PM

You asked "Thoughts"...
P L E A S E don't do that.

Last edited by Sugar Bear; July 9th, 2023 at 07:08 PM.
Old July 10th, 2023, 03:42 AM
Past Administrator

I agree with Sugar Bear. Your 98 doesn't seem to jibe with the "muscle car" image.
Old July 10th, 2023, 04:30 AM

If you want to delete the fender skirts and reshape the fenders I hope your a good body man. The rear fenders of the 98 from 71-76 are quite different than the rear fenders on a Delta 88.
Old July 10th, 2023, 05:27 AM

If you molest that car and want to sell nobody will buy it.
Old July 10th, 2023, 07:34 AM

I greatly appreciate everyone's inputs. I know this sounds like a ...crazy/stupid plan. Sadly, at the end of the day, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" and I will never like the look of those fender skirts. After putting in the new rear coil springs, and the new larger tires, I really like the way it sits (see pics). I know it is not a 442 or Chevelle, but..... I plan to get a new exhaust (old one is rotted) that has a bit more "throat" to it. I really like the way the car sits now and how she looks with new sneakers. The fender skirts, and the "inner" portion of the rear wheel wells were pretty rusty which added to my thoughts to change/update them. I totally get that if I cut any metal, and want to sell down the line, it will likely be harder because the next person will probably want the fender skirt option. I guess they could always weld back what I POTENTIALLY cut out (and save). I think I'll do Nothing for a while and hope that some epiphany comes that makes good sense all around. Thanks again folks.

Old July 10th, 2023, 07:41 AM

This is a pretty purest page, and that's totally fine. I get a lot of great info here!!!
That being said, it's your car. It's not a crazy desirable car so have fun with it.
I agree that if you don't want to run the skirts the supporting metal looks bad.

As long as your car puts a smile on your face, do it!!!

Note: I do agree that customizing a car does limit your resell audience, BUT I'm not trying to cater to the next owner.
Old July 10th, 2023, 08:07 AM
Proud Viet Nam Veteran

You could always try reshaping the skirts. Nothing to loose..