68-72 Cutlass chassis brittle and splitting..

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2023, 10:45 PM

68-72 Cutlass chassis brittle and splitting..

Front passenger corner of the chassis is brittle (car originally came from East coast). I noticed that the hole on the frame has become larger than factory and the chassis is splitting at the seam.

Because of this I have been hesitant to drive the car. How bad is this and how much work would be required to make it safe? Is it possible for the frame to split and crack all the way around if I need driving it?

Old December 4th, 2023, 03:22 AM
Administrator

The problem is the chassis is rotting and flaking away and at some point in time it will be extremely weak, crack, and break.
Old December 4th, 2023, 03:25 AM

Originally Posted by oldcutlass
The problem is the chassis is rotting and flaking away and at some point in time it will be extremely weak, crack, and break.
I understand. I am wondering if it should not be driven at all? Is there anyway to replace this section or is it too far gone?
Old December 4th, 2023, 04:04 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by yeahbuddy
I understand. I am wondering if it should not be driven at all? Is there anyway to replace this section or is it too far gone?
Yes, but it will require some good welding skills. You would need to go over the frame from front to back and see what the rest of the frame looks like. Chances are that is not the only area and it's best to just replace the frame.
Old December 4th, 2023, 06:52 AM
Old(s) Fart

That will only get worse, so driving is not a good idea.
Old December 4th, 2023, 10:14 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

New frame time.
Or at minimum a lot of cutting and welding...in which case youd be farther ahead with a new tube frame or good used OEM.
Not safe at all. What's the rest of the car like?
Old December 18th, 2023, 05:02 PM

I have a few areas of my frame that have similar rot damage - has anyone used replacement frame components from Afco - https://www.afcoracing.com/store.asp...and-components

This was one option I am looking into, any insight on quality or accuracy of the components is greatly appreciated! Mark T

Old December 18th, 2023, 05:14 PM

Not sure if this helps but I have a set of frame horns from 70 cutlass
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...-horns-151546/
Old December 18th, 2023, 07:00 PM

I’m afraid that that is beyond repair, for the sake of your family and fellow motorists you’ll need to replace the frame in order to continue to enjoy without structural anxiety. The cracks are not the core problem, the thinning corrosion compounds the issue and becomes a liability on your part.

Last edited by oldcutlass; December 18th, 2023 at 07:12 PM. Reason: duplicate
Old December 18th, 2023, 08:44 PM
Phantom Phixer

Originally Posted by MTOLDS
I have a few areas of my frame that have similar rot damage - has anyone used replacement frame components from Afco - https://www.afcoracing.com/store.asp...and-components

This was one option I am looking into, any insight on quality or accuracy of the components is greatly appreciated! Mark T
By the time you buy all the components to fix this frame, and hire a good welder to fix it.
You will have been better off buying a good used frame from the dry southwest, and have it shipped to you.
Old December 19th, 2023, 09:46 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

If a new frame, OEM or otherwise, is in your future make sure it's straight before you begin. Coat the inside with Eastwoods inner frame paint process or an oil-based corrosion-resistant product...Krown, LPS, Corrosion Free etc...
I see a lot of guys restore a frame and then discover it doesn't line up because it's tweaked so have it checked for square before you begin assembly. A tweaked frame can be fixed on a good jig with knowledgeable tech.