70 Cutlass Body Mounts - Kinda Urgent!

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2024, 11:17 AM

70 Cutlass Body Mounts - Kinda Urgent!

Putting the body of my '70 Cutlass back on the frame today after over a year of separation and pulled out my body mount kit. Now I have questions!

When I pulled the body, there were 6 solid mounts (in positions 4, 5 and 6 in the diagram I stole from Energy Suspension), Bolt in mounts in positions 7 and 8, and the bolt through mount in position 2.

The kit I have is the "Autopro USA BM-1022Kit" from Summit (https://www.summitracing.com/parts/a...2kit?rrec=true) which has 4 solid mounts, 6 bolt in mounts of a larger diameter and 4 bolt in mounts of a smaller diameter. The heights of the large and small are different.

My questions:

- What position(s) use the smaller diameter mounts? I'm assuming they go in position 2?
- Based on the Energy Suspension instructions, I plan to substitute the larger diameter bolt in mounts to position 4 and use the solid mount in position 5
- My car was a small block and the ES instructions indicate position 3 isn't used. I've seen reference to use of position 3 in big block cars - is that applicable to the Oldsmobile or was it specific to a different flavour of A Body? (I have a healthy 455 now). Should I be using the last pair of small diameter mounts in position 3?

My plan for today is to go ahead with the reunion of body and frame with the mounts in the positions I've mentioned. If they're wro

ng or I should have used a different set of mounts, it won't be too difficult to move them around later. But, I'm hoping for some good guidance before I get to the point of lowering the body so I only need to do this once!

Old April 18th, 2024, 01:18 PM

Ignore my question about position 3. It's not used because there is no position for it on the body. Still need to know about the smaller diameter one.
Old April 18th, 2024, 01:33 PM

Hold the mounts up to the body. You will likely find that position 4 in the diagram will only fit one type of mount, probably the lower mount in photo 2 but it is hard to tell from the angle of your photos. When you look at the mounting surface on the body at each position, you should see why.
Old April 18th, 2024, 05:35 PM

Originally Posted by Loaded68W34
Hold the mounts up to the body. You will likely find that position 4 in the diagram will only fit one type of mount, probably the lower mount in photo 2 but it is hard to tell from the angle of your photos. When you look at the mounting surface on the body at each position, you should see why.
They fit in the frame everywhere, but the number 4 position is slightly recessed so we used them there. Body's on the frame now but I haven't had time to take a close look at each mount to make sure everything is copacetic.