Ball joint woes

Search this Thread

Old April 10th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Shaking out the cobwebs..

Ball joint woes

I want to throw a warning out to anyone who might be replacing ball joints, so they don't make the same mistake I did.

I have access to a small press (Harbor Freight) and used it to remove the old ball joints and bushings. No problems, really easy.

When I was using the AutoZone ball joint tool to install the ball joints, it wasn't in the best of shape, so it was starting the ball joints crooked. My father and I tried numerous times and still had no luck.
So I removed the ball joint and used the press, very slow and gentle.......

I cracked the 'lip' in the a-arm where the ball joint installs.

I don't have pics, but I'll get some.

Luckily I had another a-arm so it wasn't as bad of a day as it could have been.

I have no idea why it cracked. It was slightly cocked in the seat, (similar to the way Robs was in his front end thread) but not as bad as the AutoZone tool was making it. I used a micrometer and measured both the new ones and old ones, they were all within .003 of each other.

2 hours of trying to be gentle with it and the new a-arm, in the both the press and tool, we were getting nowhere.
The only way I could get it in was to slightly file the angled leading edge of the ball joint in order for it to start straight.

Then I had to use a BFH and pound them in. Once I was satisfied they were straight enough, I then hit them harder with the BFH and finished the last 1/4 inch with the press.

We spent 2 hours messing around with the first one, after I figured out that filing was the trick, the second one went in on the first try. Granted, the bottom of the ball joints are banged up, but I didn't know what else to try. I was afraid if I took them to a shop and if they just threw them in a press, they might have cracked my other a-arms, then I'd be screwed.
Old April 10th, 2012, 04:58 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Well, you did have a replacement. So, you are only half as frustrated as you thought you were Thanks for the heads-up, I missed that on Robs post. What kind of ball joints did you buy?

If I remember right, you said the one side was an inch back from the other. I came across frame measurements in chapter 2 of the CSM, to make sure it is true.
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Just an Olds Guy

Wow! That's an awesome story. Sorry to hear about the problems. When I pressed my lowers in? (They were NAPA parts) No issues. Less than 30 seconds and they were seated in straight on both sides, on the first time. I noticed that Robs ball joints have what looks like splining aroud the edge. Maybe that's what causes the problem with line up? Mine (old and new) didn't have that and were a breeze to play with. What I didn't like was doing the bushings.

That LCA must have had metal fatigue or something. I can't believe it would crack like that.
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by Troys Toy 70
I missed that on Robs post. What kind of ball joints did you buy?
You missed the drama - it all starts here, in all its glory...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post295288

If the metal in the arm split, either you had them really cocked or the metal was fatigued and needed replacing anyway.
I would have exchanged that damaged press for a good one. I am sure that was one of the main problems....
Of course mine looked ok and the dang things still went in crooked. However, forcing them with the press worked in my case. I would not pound new joints with a BFH...
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:39 PM

Freeze the ball joints overnight, and heat-up the arms right before install makes them go in like butter!
Old April 10th, 2012, 07:50 PM
Connoisseur d'Junque

Originally Posted by Rickman48
Freeze the ball joints overnight, and heat-up the arms right before install makes them go in like butter!
+ at least 1.

- Eric
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:06 PM
Once Olds Always Olds

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
You missed the drama - it all starts here, in all its glory...
https://classicoldsmobile.com/forums...tml#post295288

If the metal in the arm split, either you had them really cocked or the metal was fatigued and needed replacing anyway.
I would have exchanged that damaged press for a good one. I am sure that was one of the main problems....
Of course mine looked ok and the dang things still went in crooked. However, forcing them with the press worked in my case. I would not pound new joints with a BFH...
Yea, I've read your glory moments several times, but I guess my concentration has been on the take apart sections
Old April 10th, 2012, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rickman48
I wish I would have thought of this.

I would not pound new joints with a BFH...
I didn't really want to, but I wasn't going to run the risk of using any press after what happened. It didn't take much pounding (less than what it takes to drive a nail into a 2x4) after I filed down the leading edge.

They were from NAPA. Don't know if using Moog's would have made a difference.

Here is a pic:
Crackarm.jpg
Old April 11th, 2012, 05:11 AM

The Moogs have the serrated edges - that might be why they were so tough for me to to get them in.
That arm pictured might have already had a small fracture and you just opened it up..
It needed replacing anyway.
Old April 11th, 2012, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by Lady72nRob71
The Moogs have the serrated edges - that might be why they were so tough for me to to get them in.
That arm pictured might have already had a small fracture and you just opened it up..
It needed replacing anyway.
Thankfully I caught it. Imagine the fun of it giving out on the road.

If I remember right, you said the one side was an inch back from the other. I came across frame measurements in chapter 2 of the CSM, to make sure it is true.
I have a CSM, I'll see what I come up with, since the suspected bad arm and the new a-arm line up with each other.