Besr spray paint and primer

Search this Thread

Old January 15th, 2007, 05:59 PM

Best spray paint and primer

Embarrasing, I know. Asking what kind of spray paint and primer is the best is a contradiction in terms! Now to the question:

Im painting the engine compartment, and I want to paint the firewall and frame (inside the compartment). I want to do a good enough job in these areas so I dont have to pull th motor again when I get it painted in a few years. I figure Ill spray the radiator support to keep it from corroding now that I have all the grease off it.

What the best paint and primer in a spray can?

Is there a product I can spray in the engine compartment that will remove any oil residue before painting?
Old January 16th, 2007, 04:52 AM
Past Administrator

I have used Gunk, engine degreaser/cleaner. I don't think there is any particular product that would be better than any other, where a good cleaning job comes from is using something called "elbow grease". No kidding, just being thorough and using brushes and scotchbright cleaning pads can make a world of difference. You might want to apply the Gunk the first time, let it set, and rinse it to get a lot of the heavy junk off. Then do a second time and go at it with cleaning tools and hard work. Wear old clothes and goggles to protect your eyes, crawl right into the engine compartment and work from the inside out. Use a very slow water stream from the hose to rinse as you go. Anyway, that's the way I have done it. Another option, rent a power blaster.
Old January 16th, 2007, 04:53 AM
Past Administrator

I like POR products. Their engine paint is hard as nails and they also make paint for chassis applications and such. Check out their website.
Old January 16th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Oldsguy
Anyway, that's the way I have done it. Another option, rent a power blaster.
oooo...be careful of the power washer O wise Olds one... If the firewall has any type of rot at the area where it is welded to the floors, it will make for BAD JUJU and will make puddles on the floor. Learned the hard way on that one...Go for the elbow grease and a good stiff brush or a wire wheel on a drill or grinder. Will take longer but Oldsguy is right...you HAVE to get it clean. Another tip is just before you are ready to spray, go get a gallon of generic cleaning solvent from NAPA. It is fast drying and will take care of any extra greasy residue you may have missed....and for safety...use that outside or with a respirator and some nitrile gloves!!!!!

John
Old January 17th, 2007, 07:43 AM
Past Administrator

Good point, didn't think about that one. I was thinking mostly about the frames, crossmember, wheelwells, radiatior upper and lower supports, etc. Didn't think about firewal to frame area down low....
Old January 17th, 2007, 01:48 PM

So far I have degreased eveything with a biodegradeable solvent. (purple Power?) Most of the grease is off, but i didnt rinse with water since its in my garage and it cold. I was wondering if I sould wipe it down with laquer thinner? I hate when I spray paint and find out theres oil somewhere.

Do I have to prime over old paint thats still in pretty good shape? The firewall is near perfect, and the frame is wire wheeled to bare metal.

Also, should I wait until I paint the car to remove the radiator support to paint? It looks like a big job to remove it
Old February 13th, 2007, 06:07 AM

At most parts supply stores you can find a Brake and parts cleaner that is high in alcohal that should help you out after you wipe it all down and after you spray it on you may have to wipe it down again but remember that the parts cleaner will evaporate very quickly.
ImWired
Old February 13th, 2007, 12:02 PM
Past Administrator

I would recommend a thourough rinsing with water since you probably can't paint until it is warmer anyway. I don't think a simple wiping would clean off the residue of the purple cleaner. If you have any exposed metal from the wire-wheel treatment it will flash rust immidiately so you need to rinse/wipe down with denatured alcohol as a final cleaning on all surfaces. Just my opinion, worked for me.
Old February 14th, 2007, 11:51 AM

I ended up taking it to the body shop to get it sprayed. Im going to do the engine compartment and underbody while its there.