Body Off? 66 cutlass

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2023, 12:02 PM

Body Off? 66 cutlass

Hey all! How does a guy go about lifting the body off the frame. Decided I want to go the full nine yards as I am practically there already, and waiting for motor work anyways. Just need it up enough to work under and drop it again.
Old April 18th, 2023, 03:14 PM

There are a number of ways depending on what space and tools you've got available. Check out some of the other body off threads here and you'll see many examples. Having a 2 post lift is the easiest route. Some people have used engine hoists, etc.

I built supports for my '70 using pressure treated 4x4 with 5/8" plywood gusseting. The legs were assembled but the cross members were left loose for installation. I determined some temporary jack points on the car's floor and trunk pan so I could create enough clearance to slide 4x4 through and support the body. My friend and I then used floor jacks on each side to raise the 4x4 to a height we could install the legs. Repeat for the other end. Then the frame was slid out - we made sure the legs were wide enough and cross members high enough for clearance. The front suspension had already been removed but the rear axle was still installed and we removed the tires.

If you're planning on removing undercoat and cleaning/repairing/painting the underside do yourself a BIG favour and get a rotisserie!