Salvageable Frame?

Search this Thread

Old April 30th, 2017, 02:00 PM
1970 Delta 88 Royale Conv

Salvageable Frame?

Good Afternoon,
After 2 months of a new job, selling my house, buying a house, and moving I am now settled into my new home (back in Macon, GA) and I finally have a garage! I was changing the oil and have found trouble. The last few years of being outside has gotten to the old girl. The body has some bubbling and rust spots (that doesn't worry me, I have done about half the panels so far, going to work on the rest now that i have a garage) but I found some bad rust on the frame, parts of it missing. Here are a few pictures of the rust. This is behind the driverside front wheel (seems common). However, this is the only place i see, the rest of the frame after looking at it seems very solid. Just this spot is bad (well more like mostly missing). I am looking for advice on repairs. Right now completely dismantling the car to remove the frame isn't in the cards. This car drives and runs great (odometer about to roll to 90k, I have put about 25 of those on it myself). I am very good at Welding, wondering if it is possible to repair this or not. If I can't repair it then I might be looking at selling it. Looking forward to the advice.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_9099.JPG (107.5 KB, 144 views)
IMG_9106.JPG (95.2 KB, 138 views)
IMG_9107.JPG (91.9 KB, 130 views)
IMG_9108.JPG (67.0 KB, 135 views)
IMG_9112.JPG (168.4 KB, 135 views)
IMG_9113.JPG (127.5 KB, 133 views)
IMG_9114.JPG (122.8 KB, 131 views)
IMG_9115.JPG (166.5 KB, 133 views)
Old April 30th, 2017, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Its hard to tell because your pics are so close up, can you take a few a little further back. The area in your pics is pretty bad.
Old April 30th, 2017, 03:38 PM
Old(s) Fart

As Eric pointed out, the photos you posted are too close up to be useful. I ASSUME the rust hole is in the area behind the front wheels, which is the most common rust-out location for boxed convertible frames. Obviously you need to figure out how far away from the hole has the metal been thinned due to rust. You'll need to cut back to metal that isn't thinned and weld in new metal of the same thickness. This is not a trivial welding project. It can be done, but it requires a skilled welder. The body should come off the frame to do this right.
Old April 30th, 2017, 04:42 PM

Fyi in case frame off ends up in the cards

Tom ( 442oldsredberet) is somewhere around your area. If you do need a frame he may have one. Good luck with your car.

Last edited by Gary M; April 30th, 2017 at 04:45 PM.
Old April 30th, 2017, 08:44 PM

If Tom can't help you I've got a 1970 Delta 88 4 door hardtop I've slowly been parting out. My car doesn't have the fully boxed frame that the convertibles do. But if your just behind the front wheel that portion might be the same on both cars. I'd be willing to cut out whatever portion of the frame you need if this would help.

John
Old May 1st, 2017, 07:20 AM

I'm willing to bet that car crabs badly going down the highway? That frame is kaput. I wouldn't drive it.
Old May 27th, 2017, 05:19 PM

Sorry for delay in posting a few more pics. I was able to get some better pictures. This is the only spot on the frame that has rust, no other area is rusted, or soft even. Just this area. There is a picture where it shows some rust on the panel, the circle shows the amount/length of the frame that is rusted. It drives just fine, I drove it 180 miles from my old house to my new house, (wouldn't have did i know this was there then) and it was fine.

Last edited by olds88royalvert; May 27th, 2017 at 05:26 PM.
Old May 27th, 2017, 06:27 PM

I would bet that there is rust on the frame elsewhere, you just can't see it. I can't believe that a spot would rust out that badly, and the rest of the frame would be fine.
BUT.....IF that is the case then you could repair it, but I would suggest taking the body off to not only make sure that was the only place that needed attention, but to have the proper access to repair it properly.
Old May 27th, 2017, 07:49 PM
Administrator

Tough call, if it were mine and I was going to keep it, it would have a new frame. Normally if there is one area like that, the rest of the frame is not far behind. If it really is limited to just are and you are a very good welder, then you have nothing to lose.
Old May 30th, 2017, 11:43 AM

It looks to be solid the rest of the way through, but looks are deceiving. Floor pans are in good condition too, no rust on there. Now I guess the time has come for a decision. DO i want to start on the process, or sell and find something else. The car has no emotional ties to me, other than the fun i have had with it so far, I actually got it when I had been looking for a Cadillac for a few years, then found this and got a steal on it. Decisions, decisions, any advice?
Old May 30th, 2017, 12:08 PM

If space and money permit, hang on to it till you get another one. You may want to switch some parts between it and the new one before selling it.
Old May 30th, 2017, 12:39 PM

Space could permit, money could permit. The thing is, if I sell this, I will be most likely buying a Cadillac, and quite possible a Cadillac a little older, like 60's.
Old May 30th, 2017, 07:53 PM

With rust like that, that car looks like it belongs in Ontario!
Old May 31st, 2017, 06:59 AM
CH3NO2 LEARN IT BURN IT

Time for a new desert frame. That's a death trap IMO. Safety first. If you do decide to reframe be sure the new frame gets put on a frame machine to true it up before you do anything to it. Get it straight before powder coating. I have seen talented welders box out a coupe frame for a vert. There are differences in the frames that you need to pay attention to but it has been done if a modified coupe frame is the direction you go. Again weld, hammer and grind then straighten, then paint or powder coat. I like powder as it gets the inside of the frame too.
Old May 31st, 2017, 08:01 AM

Time for a new desert frame. That's a death trap IMO.
Exactly! Why isn't anyone else stating the obvious? You can actually see the metal delaminating in dozens of places not to mention the thin spots that have become razor thin. That is a death trap. Hell, you don't even have a frame.
No need to sugar coat this. You have a pile of junk supporting your body. Disaster is in your future if you keep driving that thing.
Old May 31st, 2017, 12:14 PM

I couldn't sell thar car to anyone in good conscience either unless it was a parts car.