Steel wheels for dog dish caps???

Search this Thread

Old April 7th, 2008, 01:28 PM
car guy

Steel wheels for dog dish caps???

I think I am going to hold off ordering my big wheels. I have 2 months before leaving for Power Tour. If I do the wheels I have to do the brakes and suspension. If I do the brakes and suspension I need to do the frame ect ect. You see where this is headed. Since I don't have a crew of 20 working with me for an Overhaulin style rebuild I am thinking about taking a step back to reality.
The wheels I have planned for the 67 is big in little steal wheels with dog dish caps. I am thinking about buying those now and throwing them on the 66 for Power Tour. What 15" wheels are out there that can be ordered in different sizes and offsets that will accept the factory style dish caps? Also is there any factory 15 x 6 or 15 x 7 I can find used and just order the big ones for the back.
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:41 AM

a thought.....

why not look at stock corvette steel wheels, or rally rims? I think these might fit the dog dish caps, even some of the newer impala cop wheels should work, I think they would look cool painted argent with chrome dog bowl olds caps and some trim rings, just a thought....
Old April 8th, 2008, 09:54 AM
car guy

I don't want the slots that the ralleys you are talking about have. The late model Impala wheels are 5 on 5. Thanks for making a reply.

That being said I found what I am looking for at Stockton Wheel. Now I just need to decide for sure if I want to thrash to do the brakes suspension and big wheels in 2 months or take easy way out and order these. Time to sh$# or get off the pot.

Last edited by gearheads78; April 8th, 2008 at 10:06 AM.
Old April 8th, 2008, 10:47 AM

well my procrastinating expertise tells me to just do little bits, unless your retired or have a lot of free time, 2 months is roughly 8 weeks, which equates to 16 working days ( weekends) allowing time for ordering etc, then we are coming into spring and honey do's which if your married you need to keep the dungeon master happy too. so there will be other tasks besides your build, so I would think that making a list and putting down realistic time frames for each task , now you say brakes but I don't remember if you were upgrading to discs etc, if not I would say all 4 brakes is reasonable in a day, but the prep and painting that it sounds like you want to do is a weekend in itself so say 1 weekend disassembly and painting and then 1 day reassembly, so 3 of 16 leaving a balance of 13 etc... but I always plan on things taking twice as long, so it leaves you 10 then there is your budget.. me everytime I save enough for the quarter patch panels etc something comes up, and out the money goes, I don't know what your situation is but you would save time getting all the stuff ordered too... if you can,
The main thing is your goal is to attend the run, and then what is the point of going on a cruise tour with no jingle in your jeans? so money is the other issue, priorities my man priorities!!!

I dig your cutlass BTW, I have loved that body style ever since building the old hurst hairy olds as a kid...
Old April 8th, 2008, 01:47 PM
car guy

Originally Posted by Eddie Hansen
well my procrastinating expertise tells me to just do little bits, unless your retired or have a lot of free time, 2 months is roughly 8 weeks, which equates to 16 working days ( weekends) allowing time for ordering etc, then we are coming into spring and honey do's which if your married you need to keep the dungeon master happy too. so there will be other tasks besides your build, so I would think that making a list and putting down realistic time frames for each task , now you say brakes but I don't remember if you were upgrading to discs etc, if not I would say all 4 brakes is reasonable in a day, but the prep and painting that it sounds like you want to do is a weekend in itself so say 1 weekend disassembly and painting and then 1 day reassembly, so 3 of 16 leaving a balance of 13 etc... but I always plan on things taking twice as long, so it leaves you 10 then there is your budget.. me everytime I save enough for the quarter patch panels etc something comes up, and out the money goes, I don't know what your situation is but you would save time getting all the stuff ordered too... if you can,
The main thing is your goal is to attend the run, and then what is the point of going on a cruise tour with no jingle in your jeans? so money is the other issue, priorities my man priorities!!!

I dig your cutlass BTW, I have loved that body style ever since building the old hurst hairy olds as a kid...
Thanks for a reality post. I wanted to start a month ago but there were other things in the shop that had to be taken care of to get out of the way. Last weekend our water heater in the house went out so I lost a full day there. The one good thing is I have been slowly collecting parts for the last year so I have a lot of goodies sitting on the shelf already. I also sold my race car project recently so for once $$ is not a huge ordeal but time will be.

Last edited by gearheads78; April 8th, 2008 at 08:28 PM.
Old April 8th, 2008, 08:02 PM

well I hope ya get her done, I have to say after finding this website, I have been in the garage more in the past few days then I have been in the last year, I am getting geeked over getting mine back on the road..
I do understand that things like water heaters, braces, wife wants new furniture etc eat up lots of important things like time and money, so better safe then sorry and you may get new ideas after seeing stuff on your cruise...

anyway keep us posted my man.. I am sure like everyone else here we want PICTURES!!
Old April 9th, 2008, 05:52 AM

I just posted this in another thread as well but,
How do the caps attach to the steel wheels?
Are there clips? Any picts/where to get?

And here's a pict for ya Eddie!
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:37 AM
Past Administrator

The dog dish hub caps only cover the lug nuts, not the whole wheel. So they are shaped lilke a dish (of course) with an edge around the lip, the innner sides of this edge grip the three bumps that are about half the way out from the center of the wheel, two of them can be seen plainly in the picture. This set up looks killer with same color as the car wheels and 1.5" or 2" beauty rings around the edges of the rim and black wall tires!

Friction.
Old April 9th, 2008, 06:54 AM

AHHhhhhhh.........
If it was a dog, it would'a bit me.

I see now. The rims that are on the car don't have those 3 nubs...
That's great...now I just need 3 more.

I'd love to find a set of blackwall 7" cheater slicks for the back
and some 4/5" michelins for the front.